The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 07:56 PM

Default I need to be schooled on cases

I saw a thread where the poster was upset that his new Martin case was ABS instead of Geib style.
My first cases for my flat tops were chipboard or maybe cardboard would be more correct. About 50 years ago I traded up to an Aria A-560 that came with either a light weight plywood or heavy chipboard with plush lining. It has served well except for a few scuffs in the vinyl covering. I am not hard on cases.
Later my wife bought me an ABS Martin case for my seagull 12 string and I really appreciated her effort and that the case was so sturdy. Later I traded off the seagull for a baby Taylor for my son, but kept the Martin ABS CASE.
When I got my Taylor 414 it came in an ABS thermos plastic case and it has done great. This year I got a 2004 Martin D-15 that came in A very heavy plywood case covered in vinyl that does show tears. I assume this is what some people call a Geib style case.
So are these Geib style cases more desirable than the thermoplastic impact resistant ones?
I like the light weight of the ABS style.
Are plywood cases better because of fashion or function?
School me. Thanks
whvick
Old 01-20-2020, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

The weight of the case only matters to the person carrying it, it does not matter to the guitar. There are way too many cases of widely varying quality that could be called "Geib style" to offer a sweeping generalization of all in that category; the same holds true for ABS.

If you have questions about a specific brand, the responses could be more targeted and helpful.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-20-2020, 08:06 PM
Musical minimalist

If it's not a very high quality wood ply case, I'd prefer a high quality ABS style case because of the way they are typically better sealed. Living in the frozen north one has to think about such things

I think the Hiscox Liteflite may represent the best value in such cases in regard to cost and protection.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:07 PM

I have an SKB and a Gator that are ABS and if I’m going somewhere that I may not have positive physical control of my guitar, I prefer the Gator.
It’s not only strong, it doesn’t weigh much.
The SKB is the same, but it only really fits one of my guitars.
I also have a Polyfoam hard bag, that is very protective, and even lighter to carry than the Gator.
The wood cases, Takamine branded, TKL, another Gator, are wonderful for storage. They are great if you don’t have to carry the guitar very far. They are heavy.
So...much depends on your purpose.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 01-20-2020, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
So are these Geib style cases more desirable than the thermoplastic impact resistant ones?
I like the light weight of the ABS style.
Are plywood cases better because of fashion or function?
School me. Thanks
whvick
I think Geib-style cases are more desirable than the molded Martin cases, but I'm like you. I appreciate the light weight of the ABS cases and don't need the protection afforded by the Geibs. Some dislike the molded cases because the aluminum edges have been known to accidentally damage guitars...

Last edited by RP; 01-21-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:09 PM

I recently bought myself a new D28. I paid an extra $150 to get the "5 series" "Geib style" case.

My rainsong came in one of those blow-molded plastic cases like the standard Martin. It's a perfectly OK case, but to me...comes off as a low class cheapie not up to snuff for a sweet Martin guitar.

Lots of great reviews of the molded plastic cases... You could make the engineering argument they are in fact superior:

Assuming a fall from equal height, two objects with equal air resistance will accelerate at exactly the same rate - thus they will both hit the ground going the exact same speed. However, the heavier object will have both more momentum an more energy - all of which much be dissipated for the object to come to rest.

I think it is entirely possible the lighter weight case, having less momentum and energy upon impact, is less likely to transfer energy to the guitar inside while that energy is dissipating...

Just food for thought.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Some dislike the molded cases because the aluminum edges have been known to accidentally damage guitars...
The male halves of the brass buckles on the lid of a Geib case are pretty good at biting into your guitar, too...

Last edited by HodgdonExtreme; 01-20-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I recently bought myself a new D28. I paid an extra $150 to get the "5 series" "Geib style" case.

My rainsong came in one of those blow-molded plastic cases like the standard Martin. It's a perfectly OK case, but to me...comes off as a low class cheapie not up to snuff for a sweet Martin guitar.

Lots of great reviews of the molded plastic cases... You could make the engineering argument they are in fact superior:

Assuming a fall from equal height, two objects with equal air resistance will accelerate at exactly the same rate - thus they will both hit the ground going the exact same speed. However, the heavier object will have both more momentum an more energy - all of which much be dissipated for the object to come to rest.

I think it is entirely possible the lighter weight case, having less momentum and energy upon impact, is less likely to transfer energy to the guitar inside while that energy is dissipating...

Just food for thought.

So why did you pay more for the Geib... fashion or function/protection?
Old 01-20-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I think Geib-style cases are more desirable than the molded Martin cases, but I'm like you. I appreciate the light weight of the ABS cases and don't need the protection afforded by the GEIBs. Some dislike the molded cases because the aluminum edges have been known to accidentally damage guitars...

So why is the Geib more desirable...fashion or Function/protection?
Old 01-20-2020, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

It all boils down to what you use your case for - if its just to lean the guitar in the corner and keep the cat from scratching it up, a cardboard box will do. Some people like extremely light weight cases so they can easily carry their guitar around, some like extreme protection from banging and dropping, some need a tightly closed environment to control temp and humidity, some like lots of extra room to store accessories. Every case offers some degree of each of these, and the prices are all over the board. Many really good cases are more expensive than some people are willing to pay for a guitar. And a really good case that doesn’t fit the guitar really well can be worse than a cheaper case that fits it perfectly -

I have some Ameritage cases That came with my Santa Cruz - very nice, but incredibly heavy. My favorite case is Visesnut - incredibly light, holds a variety of guitar shapes very securely, and incredibly strong, but almost zero storage space - tuner and capo is about it - and not cheap. A couple of my old guitars are still in original cases, which still work fine, but are pretty bad compared to almost all newer cases -

Lots of good options out there if you think you need a better case -
Old 01-21-2020, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
So why is the Geib more desirable...fashion or Function/protection?
My guess is it's a combination of form and function in varying degrees for different folks...
Old 01-21-2020, 07:50 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I think it boils down to how many loading docks your guitars go over, what kinds, how often, and in whose hands they make the trip?

Industrial loading docks at venues and studios have concrete floors with steel edges and either lift doors or steel swinging doors with hydraulic returns. Expect scuffs and bangs.
Local pubs often have no dock and you usually load-in through swinging doors usually let go in front of you at the most inopportune time by the drummer. See industrial docks.
Airport loading docks are like industrial docks except no-one gives a rip about your precious instrument, so add drops.

Are you your own roadie? You will take care of your gear but scuffs still happen. Expect the number and severity to go up as the hour passes 1am.
Bandmates? Multiply the bangs and scuffs by a factor of two.
Hired roadies? Multiply the bangs and scuffs by a factor of three.
College roadies paid in beer? Multiply the bangs and scuffs by a factor of five.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

I was used to those cardboard cases that are probably
worse than gig bags except that they have a shape. I
finally got a good guitar around 2003 made by Ken Stika in Utah...
he put his guitars in heavy-duty (with the emphasis on
heavy) cases with about six buckles... I recently got
a gator case for it, I really like its light weight and
apparent strength.

I recently got a 53 cf-100, my 2nd good guitar , and
the fellow sent it in a nice new Martin case that falls
somewhere in between the cardboard case (it has a
shape) and the Ken Stika case (it doesn't weigh a ton).

My guitar doesn't have to go through loading docks or
into airplane steerage compartments, so I can't speak to that,
but a sturdy case that doesn't weigh too much no matter what
its made of seems good to me...

-Mike
Old 01-21-2020, 09:42 AM

When I was younger, I could always tell the serious players because they showed up with a blue case. In those days they were the ultimate and could be dropped from 4th floor of a building without harm to case or content. Drunk buddies sometimes demonstrated with success. Too bad they don't make those anymore cause I could probably afford it now.

Last edited by merlin666; 01-21-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:09 AM

I recently pre-ordered a Guild acoustic guitar (F250e Deluxe) and also ordered the SKB heavy duty molded case for it - recommended by a friend. I advised the sales person that I will wait on the case (in stock) until the Guild arrives in March, went into detailed explanation that I wanted the Guild to be shipping in the case when it is being readied to ship to me. Wouldn't you know the case arrived via UPS last Thursday. Anyway its a very nice heavy duty case, also fits my Gibson Sj200 and my Epi Ej-200SCE and a few others. I like the fact that the clasps are covered with plastic mold guards to prevent scratches should the case lid accidently fall onto the guitar. My SJ200 has a permanent scratch as a result of that. Hard to see until I am buffing polish, but I know that it is there and it causes me angst. This SKB case is very nice. Highly recommended.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion