The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Sounds pretty awful plugged in

https://youtu.be/CG14fAzGP8s
I only listened for the first 10± seconds and switched it off.

Aside from an ongoing distrust of Piezo, with regard to faithfully delivering the guitar's true sound, internet audio should not be used by any marketing effort.

That said, this guy is using a pick, plugged, and the guitar's sound is completely owned by that Piezo source. In other words, no matter the build, wood species, or qualitative distinction from any other guitar, Piezo levels the field and not in a good way.

If I liked the unplugged sound of the guitar I'd consider it. Otherwise, do not ever attempt to impress me using Piezo.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:59 PM

Pretty modest presentation for a new product launch. No claims that it makes every other guitar on the planet obsolete.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:32 PM

I crave the Martin growl and bass thump as much as the next guy. That’s why I have a Brazilian D-21 from yesteryear. That being said, this new body style and geometry is in no way engineered to sound like a traditional Martin acoustic dread. Makes sense then that it shouldn’t be compared to one but should stand on its own merits regardless of what’s on the headstock.

I applaud Martin for going this direction and hope that this begins a new period of innovation in the history of Martin guitars. Personally, I’d like to see Martin think out of the box like this on a regular basis because with their vast historical knowledge of guitar building, they should be leading the pack in the guitar manufacturing industry in the design and engineering of acoustic guitar technological advances.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

I'm interested for sure--seriously--but maybe next year's updated model will incorporate a turbocharger? At $1899 list price, and street-priced for likely 25% or more less, it's going to get popular real quick but will it remain a darling?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-18-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post
Is that your interpretation of "fine veneer over an interior core made of solid Khaya"? If so, that makes sense. Have you read something somewhere that explicitly says that the koa veneer is on both sides of the Khaya and is visible on the inside of the guitar as well as the outside? ...
One of the reviews I read leading up to yesterday stated that it was veneered on both sides for appearance. If I can find the review I'll post a link.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:03 PM

Although I favor Taylor over Martin (I do own a D18) I find the SC13 a very interesting guitar. Really functional cutaway, interesting neck carve, bolt on neck with a sliding tenon and probably high quality laminate B&S. It’s good to see Martin get outside it’s comfort zone and create a modern guitar. If it performs as good as it looks it should have a good customer base.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-18-2020, 11:18 PM

I'm very keen to hear this one and play it. Been more a Taylor fan than a Martin one over the years and have owned 2 Taylors. The veneer doesn't really concern me, with the trouble I've had with splitting of a solid wood back, I'd been thinking of getting a luthier to quote on making me a custom laminate body guitar.

Someone voiced concerns about the shims rattling. That sounds far fetched to me. Taylors have a shim system and they just don't rattle. Good on Martin for trying something new. Would like a satin finish and a wider string width at the bridge.

I've already messaged one of my local Martin dealers to let me know when they have one of these in stock.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Sounds pretty awful plugged in

https://youtu.be/CG14fAzGP8s
For a guitar at that price point, $1499 on Sweetwater, that is the most hideous amplified sound I have ever heard.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:38 PM

From what I can tell from listening to the reviews and considering the construction, this model is a radical departure from the traditional Martin signature tone - expect an open, airy, evenly balanced and much thinner sound more akin to Taylor - just look at the dominance and shape of the lower bout - it will have all the piano-like tone of the Taylor Grand Auditorium which is a proven recipe already accepted and *expected* among younger players coming up the ranks.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
One of the reviews I read leading up to yesterday stated that it was veneered on both sides for appearance. If I can find the review I'll post a link.
Thanks for that. In this video, the Martin rep says the koa veneer is on the inside as well as the outside at around 3:45. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG14...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-19-2020, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
For a guitar at that price point, $1499 on Sweetwater, that is the most hideous amplified sound I have ever heard.
Sure sounds pretty bad on that video, other videos I've watched on it sounded a LOT better. I never try to gauge what a guitar sounds like from youtube, always rely on playing it myself.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I’m delighted Martin is innovating like this. I hope they sell a ton of them and draw even more folks into the Martin fold. And if I come across one of these in a shop I’ll probably give it a try just out of curiosity. But so far nothing I’ve seen/heard about this model appeals to me personally...
Drawing more people into the fold is exactly where this is intended, particularly the younger Taylor leaning players who learn and play electric first, with thinner necks and strings. In many ways his leap frogs what Taylor has been doing — without any Vs:-)

I like 13 fret necks, and with this cut-away and neck shape they’ve really got a unique new shape. Can’t wait to try one.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 01-19-2020, 02:53 AM

I don't think it's fair to view a thin veneer as the same as other "laminates". I have an old Japanese Daion with a solid top of Sitka spruce with a thin veneer of Ovangkol, and for tone and volume (measured in db) it remains a solid top and the veneer is just for looks.

I agree with lowrider and others about the awful quacky plugged in sound of that one video. In contrast, though, on Spoon's video it sounded pretty good to me, and didn't have any of piezo-y quack. Spoon wasn't going direct, but mic'd to a Fishman Artist amp, so probably closer to a playing live sound.
http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/ac...martin/sc-13e/
Old 01-19-2020, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I only listened for the first 10± seconds and switched it off.

Aside from an ongoing distrust of Piezo, with regard to faithfully delivering the guitar's true sound, internet audio should not be used by any marketing effort.

That said, this guy is using a pick, plugged, and the guitar's sound is completely owned by that Piezo source. In other words, no matter the build, wood species, or qualitative distinction from any other guitar, Piezo levels the field and not in a good way.

If I liked the unplugged sound of the guitar I'd consider it. Otherwise, do not ever attempt to impress me using Piezo.
Well instead of relying on a YouTube video, maybe you should consider the following extract from this established reviewer of Martin guitars:

Quote:
The acoustic tone is very nice, if not entirely what one is used to hearing from traditional Martins. And some may like it more than other Martins. But the major draw is its use as an electrified live performance instrument. It simply excels in this capacity.
http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/ac...martin/sc-13e/
Old 01-19-2020, 09:50 AM

The guitar looks like it is designed with the finger stylist in mind - a market I don't generally think of when I think of Martin guitar. They may be looking to expand their market share.
Laminates can be designed to give good acoustic response or they can be designed to "kill" acoustic response and reduce feed back. If this guitar is designed to allow playing at louder acoustic levels without feed back when plugged in (which was mentioned) then they may prefer laminates and bracing designed to be a little less responsive. Plastic bodied Ovation guitars were popular as amplified acoustic instruments because they didn't suffer the same feedback problems as more responsive instruments.
"Road Series" might be the best placement for this instrument - designed for the musician who plays out plugged in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion