The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-11-2019, 10:48 PM

Default Guitar/Mando hybrid instruments ... any plans for them?

Now that my repaired shoulder is nearly healed, I'm getting the yen to get back to building.

In my jam group, I play both mandolin and guitar, and sometimes feel the urge to do a solo using both instruments. I remember somebody building an instrument with two necks -- a guitar neck and a mandolin neck -- using single body, with the mandolin neck lower. I think it may have also used a separate soundhole, but I don't remember for sure.

I suppose I could try to mash up something of my own, but it would be like re-inventing the wheel (which, in my case, might end up being triangular). Instead, I'm asking the hive mind if there are any plans out there for such an instrument.

If I build it, I guess I'll have to build a special case for it, too.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:52 PM

A mandocello?
Old 11-13-2019, 05:48 PM

How about an irish bouzouki? Or an octave mandolin?
Old 11-14-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass.swimmer View Post
That was what I was thinking of, an octave mandolin.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT View Post
Now that my repaired shoulder is nearly healed, I'm getting the yen to get back to building.

In my jam group, I play both mandolin and guitar, and sometimes feel the urge to do a solo using both instruments. I remember somebody building an instrument with two necks -- a guitar neck and a mandolin neck -- using single body, with the mandolin neck lower. I think it may have also used a separate soundhole, but I don't remember for sure.

I suppose I could try to mash up something of my own, but it would be like re-inventing the wheel (which, in my case, might end up being triangular). Instead, I'm asking the hive mind if there are any plans out there for such an instrument.

If I build it, I guess I'll have to build a special case for it, too.
Check out the hybrids offered by Goldtone. The F6 or F12 might be just the ticket and they have others as well. https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldtone/

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldt...struments/f-12

I saw one the prototype of this tenor guitar / mando hybrid when I was at the factory a couple of weeks ago. https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldt...uments/bz-1000
Old 11-18-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass.swimmer View Post
Actually, I'm familiar with those ... I've built two octave mandolins and a mandola. But what I'm looking for are plans for a double-neck instrument that combines both a guitar and a mandolin in one body.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair