The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-05-2019, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

I can honestly tell you that being gluten free is a real pain. I can also tell you that there is a big difference between celiac and having an allergy to wheat. While I do not have the celiac marker, scratch testing revealed and confirmed my wheat and milk issues after the elimination diet I was on pointed in that direction.

Gluten free foods have their own issues, so I avoid these when I can. As an avid food ingredient label reader, I am amazed at what is actually in a lot of foods, and that casein (which is a milk protein product) and wheat can be found in a lot of things you’d hardly expect.

Is it all hype? Not for me, but then again, given the choice of being sick or following a special diet and feeling good is a no brainer.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I couldn't agree more. My mother was diagnosed as celiac some 20 years ago - she's 91 now. Her sister (my aunt) is also celiac. I know, from first-hand experience, how serious this is for them. My first question for anyone who has self-diagnosed as gluten-intolerant is 'have you been tested?'
Exactly. My daughter-in-law thinks she’s “gluten intolerant” and has never been medically tested.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I know about celiac disease, it’s serious stuff. But gluten-free has been sold to customers as a healthy alternative “gluten is bad for you”. It’s all nonsense. Those who go gluten-free and claim to have lost weight because of it, is mostly because they cut off most simple carbohydrate foods off their diet after realizing that things like gluten free bread, pizza, and beer tastes terrible, and decided to also get off the couch and move a bit more.
My thought as well. I think they lost weight because they went “carb free,” not “gluten free.” But I could be wrong. I’m certainly no doctor or scientist, just a guy reading the news and reacting.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
My thought as well. I think they lost weight because they went “carb free,” not “gluten free.” But I could be wrong. I’m certainly no doctor or scientist, just a guy reading the news and reacting.
So just curious, do you think this is a bad thing? I guess I don't see the harm. If folks want to spend more money for gluten free, they are free to do that.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
So just curious, do you think this is a bad thing? I guess I don't see the harm. If folks want to spend more money for gluten free, they are free to do that.
No, RJ, I don’t necessarily see it as a “bad” thing, I’m just naturally suspicious when it comes to the commercial food industry and their propaganda machine. As you said, if folks want to spend their money on gluten free products, hey, have at it folks, no sweat off my brow as they say.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
The gluten free diet is a common treatment for those suffering from Celiac's disease and leaky gut syndrome.

My son has autism and for a time we consulted with a neurodevelopmental pediatrician who had us get blood drawn for a number of tests for a biomedical treatment plan. Among them was the IgG antibody test for elevated antibodies. I don't completely understand the theories behind this but it was my understanding that the presence of these antibodies indicated an intolerance to the gluten protein found in most wheats, as well as the casein protein in dairy, as well as a sensitivity to soy which is also a common allergen. While Celiac's was not a concern, leaky gut syndrome was. It was shown via blood test results that my son's antibody count was elevated beyond the norm and that doctor's belief that it was causing a sort of autoimmune response that was literally eating holes into his intestinal tract. This is turn was believed to be causing an inflammation in his gut that was also causing inflammation in his brain via the vagus nerve, leading to delayed development in speech and causing him emotional distress.

I should also add that in addition to cutting out gluten, casein and soy from his diet we were also told to give him magnesium, DHA Omega 3 fish oil and probiotics - in addition to other supplements such as vitamin D3 and CoQ10 and vitamin B12.

So for a year we did the gluten/casein/soy free diet and it helped briefly but not significantly so we ended the diet after about a year. FWIW, we do notice that our son can overcome a viral illness in hours, so I do believe that his immune system is indeed overstimulated but we have also since stopped advising with that doctor.

Do I think the gluten free diet was helping? Probably. Would I have done it without a blood test? No.

In our case though, it was not a fad and I don't think it's for everybody. Do I think that it's overblown? Not any more than any other placebo that the desperate turn to.
Very interesting post Neil. Thanks for joining the discussion. And as a side note, awesome gaggle of axes three bro!
Old 01-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Just because it’s gluten free food, does not mean it’s heathy. Read the labels. Lots of this food is high in sodium and other, not so healthy ingredients, that make it palatable and stick together. Balance is the key to healthy eating.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
Just because it’s gluten free food, does not mean it’s heathy. Read the labels. Lots of this food is high in sodium and other, not so healthy ingredients, that make it palatable and stick together. Balance is the key to healthy eating.
It is amazing the amount of sodium in food today.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:16 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
It is amazing the amount of sodium in food today.
When you cook from scratch, like my grand parents, parents and like my better half & I do today, you can control the amount of sodium. We rarely purchase processed foods.

We have a good friend who was tested and he becomes quite ill when having anything with gluten in it. There are some who may try to exploit the issue of gluten for personal or corporate gain, however for some individuals, it is very serious health concern. If it works for those who desire to lose weight, then so be it. The selection availability and price may be worth the quality of life improvement and potential health savings to those folks

Separately, John Pinette incorporated "gluten free" into his routine (1 min 20 second mark) back back in 2011, so the topic has been relevant for some time.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
When you cook from scratch, like my grand parents, parents and like my better half & I do today, you can control the amount of sodium. We rarely purchase processed foods.

We have a good friend who was tested and he becomes quite ill when having anything with gluten in it. There are some who may try to exploit the issue of gluten for personal or corporate gain, however for some individuals, it is very serious health concern. If it works for those who desire to lose weight, then so be it. The selection availability and price may be worth the quality of life improvement and potential health savings to those folks

Separately, John Pinette incorporated "gluten free" into his routine (1 min 20 second mark) back back in 2011, so the topic has been relevant for some time.

Now that was a FUNNY video!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Now that was a FUNNY video!
Here is the full routine....
Old 01-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

It's the current Big Thing until the next Big Thing.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:45 AM

For the past 5000 plus years people have eaten Gluten bread. Now it's bad for you ?
Bread and wine have been served for millennium.

Ed
Old 01-05-2019, 11:47 AM

what may not affect you may affect others.

my sister has MS and she has cut gluten from her diet. this won't stop the MS but she says she feels better and that is all that matters.

i am skeptical about natural vs. organic and whether or not that is a benefit. the bananas all look the same to me.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-05-2019, 12:06 PM

“she says she feels better and that is all that matters.” Your darn right. If eating gluten free helps her then more power to her I say.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic