The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-16-2019, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

I’d say play one before you make any comparisons and or judgements. These are an entity unto themselves. I’ve owned quite a few old arch tops. They come with their own set of issues.

As for torrified tops, that’s a question for Collings. However carving torrified billets has its own issues, including sourcing wood.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
I’d say play one before you make any comparisons and or judgements. These are an entity unto themselves. I’ve owned quite a few old arch tops. They come with their own set of issues.

As for torrified tops, that’s a question for Collings. However carving torrified billets has its own issues, including sourcing wood.
Thanks for that. Modern archtops sometimes get away from the straight-braced vibe that gave the old ones their unique sound.

Curiosity might lead me to find one here in the Phoenix area and give a play.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

When I first saw and read about it I was impressed at the possibility. Then the price tag...pass.

I thought Bill Collings wanted the Waterloo line to be affordable and throwback to the 20's 30's era of inexpensive, cool guitars that a regular person could play and afford.

Pricing a Waterloo in with the Collings name-branded line is a conflict and risks sub-optimizing your own brand. (e.g. Epiphone Les Paul costing as much as a Gibson Les Paul?)

I was in Marketing in the past and we always had to make sure we were adding/gaining marketshare and revenue outside of our own playground, not at the expense of our sister products and services. You also protect your flagship Brand in quality and in price point.

I wonder if Bill would have put his own name on the headstock if he were with us?
Old 07-19-2019, 03:22 PM

Interesting! Looks VERY much like a Martin R-18 with the exception of the headstock. Small bodied arch top with a flat Hog back.

1936 Martin R18
Bourgeois Vintage D
Gibson F5 Goldrush Mandolin
Wildwood Balladeer Custom 5 string Banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops