The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-29-2019, 05:27 PM

When it's all about ultimate control - riding that ragged edge between clean and overdrive, controlling the harmonic content between (and within) notes with touch alone, and "coaxing the velvet out" of one of my hollowbodies (or the neck pickup of my LP) it's tubes, period...

When I need loads of pristine clean power for certain styles and/or have to travel light, or want one of my UST-equipped acoustic-electrics to actually sound like a guitar and not a family of ducks on crystal meth, I'll grab an analog solid-state combo...

Modeling amps leave me cold - still have a '99 Line 6 Flextone Plus combo and floorboard in like-new condition, that I've used maybe a dozen times since purchase (and not at all in the last fifteen years)...

YMMV...
Old 05-31-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
When it's all about ultimate control - riding that ragged edge between clean and overdrive, controlling the harmonic content between (and within) notes with touch alone, and "coaxing the velvet out" of one of my hollowbodies (or the neck pickup of my LP) it's tubes, period...

When I need loads of pristine clean power for certain styles and/or have to travel light, or want one of my UST-equipped acoustic-electrics to actually sound like a guitar and not a family of ducks on crystal meth, I'll grab an analog solid-state combo...

Modeling amps leave me cold - still have a '99 Line 6 Flextone Plus combo and floorboard in like-new condition, that I've used maybe a dozen times since purchase (and not at all in the last fifteen years)...

YMMV...
So am visualizing "a family of ducks on crystal meth" and seeing sort of miniature feathered jet skis zooming about pell- mell .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-31-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So am visualizing "a family of ducks on crystal meth" and seeing sort of miniature feathered jet skis zooming about pell-mell.
Got the visuals just about right, Kev - now imagine the associated cacophonous soundtrack and you'll understand why Charlie Kaman had it right half a century ago, when he designed the first-generation Ovation pickup to sound natural with a typical mid-60's pro-/semi-pro American combo amp (read blackface Fender/blue-check Ampeg). Not to hijack the topic, but I don't get the whole Ovation-bashing thing - I still use my '82 single-knob Custom Balladeer regularly through a Randall RB-120 1x15", Fender Frontman 212R, or Peavey Studio Pro 60 1x12" for smaller gigs and, albeit very different tonally, it's every bit as viable a performance instrument as my newer (and arguably more electronically-sophisticated) Rainsong jumbos; BTW, as I stated above I'd strongly recommend this for any UST-equipped guitar - the natural rolloff over ~5kHz tames or eliminates the offending frequencies, and as long as you balance the guitar and amp gain (I always run through the low-gain input) "tuning to the room" generally requires nothing more than mild tweaking IME...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars