The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 AM

Thanks, Todd. I am definitely looking forward to being a member of this group! I can't wait to hear it.
Barb
Old 05-18-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Thanks, Todd. I am definitely looking forward to being a member of this group! I can't wait to hear it.
Barb
It's currently a very small group. Congrats, Barb.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Woo hoo! My Blackbird Savoy is on it's way to my house! I can't wait to see and hear it. Next week seems like a long way off!
Barb
Exciting! Cant wait to hear your impressions.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Woo hoo! My Blackbird Savoy is on it's way to my house! I can't wait to see and hear it. Next week seems like a long way off!
Barb
Congrats! Then, those 3 little words you long to read...

Out For Delivery

Hope the time passes quickly; and looking forward to your impressions on the new Savoy.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:32 PM

Thanks, Ted, Capt.Jim, and Taichine. I will let you all know how much I love it when it arrives. Joe said he played it before he sent it out and that it sounded great.
Barb
Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 PM

Not enough info out there Barb about this here geetar. We wait with baited breath to learn more. Joe is really thinking outside the box with instrument building and the ekoa is spectacular looking!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Barb, I am certainly curious about the Savoy, so I too await your commentary.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Looking forward to Barb's impressions! I ordered one of these a few weeks ago, so I guess I am one guitar closer to my own evaluation, but delivery is still a few months forward.

FYI to anyone interested... I asked Joe about eliminating the sound port and any "issues" that I might not be aware of. He said the port mellows out the bass a bit but the difference is subtle. The sound port can be added later if you get port-elimination regrets.

I also ordered it with K&K electronics instead of the MiSi system. That's not listed as an option on the Blackbird site, but Joe said they install a lot of them.
From what I can tell by reading comments and descriptions, the Savoy is a breakthrough. I like the idea that it is built from Eco-friendly flax and plant-based resins. The design looks like a winner... small with a big sound, bridge in the sweet spot, a clean cutaway (no big heel to get in the way), and at 3.7 pounds, it travels easy. If the sound ~ as intended by Blackbird ~ comes close to a "vintage wood guitar" it will be a game changer in the non-wood instrument market.
Barb?... we all want to know!
Old 05-20-2017, 06:24 PM

The Savoy surprised me this morning by arriving 4 days early! It is beautiful to behold and even better to play and hear. Oh, my, I sat with it for over three hours once the package was opened. The sound is clear, lush, loud and lovely. It is a different sound from the carbon fiber guitars. It is closer to wood than I would have imagined.

I am a big fan of the Riders and the Savoy has the same neck and felt like an old friend from the first note. Joe set the action nice and low for me as I am a finger style player with a light touch. Even with my light touch my husband, who has quite a hearing loss, told me that he was able to hear me loud and clear from the other side of the house. The sound port is positioned nicely and did not bother my ears as the sound port on the Lucky 13 does. This guitar is a winner!

The only thing I haven't done yet is plug it in which I will do tonight.
Barb
Old 05-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Guest 928

Barb1;

Early is good. And good on you. It is a beautiful guitar and you are one of our first scouts. Future reports are awaited.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Four days early!! A bonus!
Old 05-21-2017, 12:53 AM

Great review there Barb!

Looking forward to some pics of the new toy there!
Old 05-21-2017, 08:23 AM

Barb,
Wow, sounds like your first impressions are overwhelmingly positive! So happy for you. After you've played it for awhile, would love to hear your impressions of the savoy as compared to your other carbon fibers, specifically your lucky 13. Enjoy your new toy!
Old 05-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Videos please Barb.

I think of eKoa as a very promising material for guitars
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 05-21-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
....The sound is clear, lush, loud and lovely. It is a different sound from the carbon fiber guitars. It is closer to wood than I would have imagined.....
I agree with that impression, Barb. My limited experience with an El Capitan had me comparing it very favorably to my Taylor's which are all wood (various types). I was sorely tempted to buy the El Cap, but was focused on getting a Lucky 13 instead. eKoa is different from carbon fiber, but makes a VERY nice instrument. Whether it is better or not is highly subjective for each individual.

Congrats on getting this one, and early is a bonus.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber