The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-30-2013, 02:58 PM

Default Acoustic archtop builders?

I was wondering if there are any acoustic archtop builders that build in the $2000-$4000 range?

I've been window shopping an acoustic archtop for some time now, but it seems that the options are very limited in the low end (this is a relative measure, acoustic archtops seem to be expensive for the most part) of the market, basically all you have is The Loar, Eastman and some vintage instruments. I have some interest in Eastman and vintage guitars, however if I'm going to be spending $1500+, I was thinking that I might just want to save up a grand or two more and get a quality, truly custom instrument.

I'm not interested in commissioning a build at this very moment, more just wondering if any skilled luthiers are making acoustic archtops in that price range?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:49 AM

Anybody....?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:08 AM

Rilo,
Bear in mind, luthiers simply can't work as efficiently as factories -- this is the primary reason our instruments cost more than "equivalent" factory guitars. There are, of course, advantages that come with a single person shop as most of us approach our instruments with a higher degree of tonal, structural, and cosmetic attention than can be achieved in a factory setting.

The point is that if you go the custom route you really "should be" spending noticeably more than a factory or small shop instrument. If you aren't, then you are probably getting a product by a novice builder -- and that is a risk that can sometimes yield a good or bad instrument.

Archtops are quite involved and I don't know of any luthiers who don't charge significantly more than the price range you are quoting. You might find something used but more than likely, you will have to look at the big shop offerings and even at that, not the high-end factory offerings. As always, the best deals to be found are used instruments.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:23 AM

Gruhn Guitars has two or three used archtops in your price range that aren't vintage. Collings makes some hollow body electrics for around 4K, but their true acoustic archtops are close to twice that, and you would probably have to wait months if not years for a special order.

Looking around the Net, I'm finding some decent looking deals in your original price range of $1500 - you might ought to stick with that. I guess it depends on what your ambitions are: if you are (or hope to be) a professional jazz player, you should get the best archtop you can possibly afford (I suppose - that's not my ambition), otherwise, you can get a decent production model or even practice your jazz on a good flattop. You can buy a really fine flattop guitar for $4000.

I have run across one archtop made by a individual luthier - a Bayard - that I really fell in love with, but it was because it sounded like a good flattop. I wasn't too tempted by it since it cost half-again as much as his flattops.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Mark Campellone's archtops are priced insanely low in relation to their quality. His least expensive carved archtop model, the Standard series, is $4,500, not too much more than your budget.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Collings archtops start at around $12 for the 16". the 17" is around $22k they are no longer taking orders for them either model. The last used at16 I heard about changed hands very quietly for around $14k.

These are very different than Campellone's models. I've played quite a few of Mark's guitars. they are nice, but nothing like the Collings
Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myanocsk View Post
Collings archtops start at around $12 for the 16". the 17" is around $22k they are no longer taking orders for them either model. The last used at16 I heard about changed hands very quietly for around $14k.

These are very different than Campellone's models. I've played quite a few of Mark's guitars. they are nice, but nothing like the Collings
You're probably right, but at 1/5 the price for a 17" archtop (not to mention availability), I wouldn't expect otherwise.

Last edited by Bluemonk; 07-13-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 07-13-2013, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the advice everybody. Simon's point is well taken and I understand that guitars made by solo luthiers typically take much more time and labour than a guitar made by a large company like Taylor, Gibson or whomever. I don't think quality high end guitars are overpriced, but like many people this won't stop me from shopping for a deal. As Simon mentions, some of the newer builders may charge less as a reflection of their experience, so that is probably what I am looking for.

That being said, I have bought several handmade or largely handmade flat top instruments in the lower end of the typical price range and had good success in the past, I just wondering if the same thing exists for acoustic archtops.

I'm not a professional or even a jazz guitarist for the most part, I do love the sound of acoustic archtops in the context of roots music (country, bluegrass, folk etc) although I understand this isn't really traditional, but I am interested in them for those genres.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:11 PM

http://www.stephenstevensguitars.com/ and click on archtops.

http://www.luthierforum.com/index.ph...tevens-builds/ You'll need to join to view pictures on these, I think.

Steve recently moved to Bend, Oregon, and has been selling a few instuments at very reasonable prices. Probably the only luthier around that ever offers a full-width one piece Lutz top.

cheers
Old 07-13-2013, 03:24 PM

I was shopping for an archtop 2-3 years ago and my budget was about $4-5K. After some extensive research, I ended up getting a Gibson L-5 1934 Reissue, which is probably one of the lowest priced US-made all-solid archtop guitars available. It's a beautiful piece of history that plays really well. It's also a guitar that will hold its value a lot better than lesser known headstocks.

I've looked at several archtop guitars from up close and most of the custom builds from non established builders have been disappointing. Unlike flat top guitars, there is much stronger correlation between quality and price when it comes to archtops. The good quality builds that I see typically start around $8-10K.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

If I remember right you could get a Campellone for around $4000. I played a 17" wide Deluxe model and it was pretty incredible.

http://www.mcampellone.com

In the $2k-$3k Heritage is a good option.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 07-13-2013, 03:44 PM

Check out Holst and Victor Baker...

probably gonna be laminate in your price range though...what is your use for this guitar going to be?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Check out Holst and Victor Baker...
I'll second Steve Holst. He made me a great mandolin at a great price, and has a lot of experience bilding jazz guitars. While he also makes flat-tops and classicals, carving tops & backs seems to be his specialty.

Check out his gallery.

Here are his current prices for archtops as posted on his website:

Carved top and back price: from $5000
Carved top / laminated back price: from $4200
Laminated top and back price: from $3300

I just love his styling on this one:

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

Last edited by jmagill; 07-14-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:18 PM

I have a 97' Gibson L5CES and it really is such a wonderfull guitar I can't imagine a better Archtop.
It plays so perfectly and sounds so lovely, and the grain of the spruce is so Mastergrade close I just don't know how I lucked out in such a good way.
The guy I got it from on ebay evidently was a connoisseur and thats who you want to get a guitar from as he elevates higher & higher.
Anyway..
For about $4k a single pick up Wes Mont. L5 with some cosmetic blemises would be quite very worthy of a lifetimes worth of play.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:31 AM

I Just can't recommend Steve Holst enough. Buy from him - you won't be sorry. guitars are best as they can be, price is more than fair, and he's super nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop