The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Default A new Journey in Life, a new guitar, a new Kostal! Brazilian/German ???

I have to apologize to my AGF friends for lying. January 2011, I said that my last commission (final) would be the Brazilian/German Modified Dreadnought guitar with wedge.

I can say my last commission (previous guitar) was the Kostal and I wouldn't be lying I initially posted that thread in excitement of my guitar and also because I was entering a new stage in my life. I ordered the Kostal in Dec 2010, started the thread in 2011, and thought it really would be my last commission.

Why you ask? I was able to marry my best friend and begin a brand new life with my beautiful bride!

So thinking that life would come with a few changes, the guitar lover in me could not commission anymore!

So what has happened in the last 2 years? As shared in the previous story, I was able to visit the Somogyi shop and picked various sets of wood, tap them with Jason, and share the full build with you here. If you want to take a look at the Somogyi shop again and see the previous Kostal build, you can find it here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=205642

As I really hoped, when the guitar was delivered at Woodstock last year,
I fell in love with the guitar and it was everything I wanted. Although I knew I was in the honeymoon phase, I put down a deposit on another! I knew that if I changed my mind, I could always sell my spot down the road. But after a year of having the guitar, and still being on the honeymoon, its time for this new Kostal thread!

A quick one year review here:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=kostal&page=2

and a sound clip of the Kostal:
http://soundcloud.com/ericcsong/one-year-kostal-1

Some of you have seen my Ryan for sale in the classifieds. It is a very special guitar for me because I played it in my wedding:

After talking with my wife some more, she knew how much I wanted another Kostal and said she'd be fine with the Ryan leaving, but I couldn't sell the guitar I woo'd her with

More news will be coming, but I wanted to invite you on another journey in my guitar adventure!

stay tuned.....

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 11-01-2012, 02:26 PM

Eric,
Congrats to you and your beautiful wife! Question, what are you varying for your new Mod D? Just different wood?

Jason
Old 11-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonechoi View Post
Eric,
Congrats to you and your beautiful wife! Question, what are you varying for your new Mod D? Just different wood?

Jason
Jason, thanks!

I was able to flip the Ryan, so now I'm craving either a bigger body like the Cathedral, or a smaller body. I was able to play a pretty spectacular OM recently so my ears are perked!

While the Mod-D isn't completely out of the picture, a Jumbo might be or a small body

Old 11-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Congrats!! So are you considering using German/Brazilian again?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Congrats!! So are you considering using German/Brazilian again?
Brian, same wood combinations, different body!

this piece of Brazilian was my second runner up and I absolutely love it!

If its still available, I might go this route. But i think i already recommended it to Dave earlier this year

Last edited by ericcsong; 11-01-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I have to apologize to my AGF friends for lying. January 2011, I said that my last commission (final) would be the Brazilian/German Modified Dreadnought guitar with wedge.
Don't worry - I've had loads of "final" guitars. One new year, I swore blind to my daughters and wife that there would be "no more" guitars that year, and made a bet. I lost: I had bought 4 by the end of January! ha ha. Who cares?

I saw your musings elsewhere re Blazer and Henkes and Traugotts etc...Looks like Jason won out? Your MD must be really special to achieve that. I have a Kostal OM on the way next year and am very much looking forward to it: The MD is great but I'm intrigued to hear what Jason can do with a smaller (for which read "more conventional") body size.

Looking forward to your updates!

cheers,
Steve
Old 11-02-2012, 04:18 AM

great news eric
Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 AM

Congratulations Eric, that's awesome!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
Brian, same wood combinations, different body!

this piece of Brazilian was my second runner up and I absolutely love it!

If its still available, I might go this route. But i think i already recommended it to Dave earlier this year
Eric, I may have to disappoint you.....
But I am excited for another great journey by you!!! Way to go!!!
2013 Martin 000-45ECM
2018 GS Mini Walnut
Kostal German/Braz

Gone to a better place:
1999 Applause guitar (Given away)
1997 Taylor 912ce Cindy
2005 Jeff Yong JJ Euro/Macassar
2006 Doerr Legacy German/Madagascar
2009 Simon Fay OM Redwood/Koa
Omega GC on order
2011 Collings OM2H
2013 Collings 0-42G
2003 Olson Cedar/IRW
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Don't worry - I've had loads of "final" guitars. One new year, I swore blind to my daughters and wife that there would be "no more" guitars that year, and made a bet. I lost: I had bought 4 by the end of January! ha ha. Who cares?

I saw your musings elsewhere re Blazer and Henkes and Traugotts etc...Looks like Jason won out? Your MD must be really special to achieve that. I have a Kostal OM on the way next year and am very much looking forward to it: The MD is great but I'm intrigued to hear what Jason can do with a smaller (for which read "more conventional") body size.

Looking forward to your updates!

cheers,
Steve
Ervin does incredible things with the OM size. I actually prefer it to his Mod D... which is almost "too much" for me. Even in this terrible 16 second recording of a German/Braz I recently played, it's amazing how much you can hear. It was like a 308 Fazioli was hiding inside that little guitar. I asked Robin what she thought of Jason's OMs compared to Ervin's when I visited her shop (the Guitar Gallery) in Nashville. Never one to mince words, her response was: "Oh shoot, they're just as good! I couldn't tell the difference!"
Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Ervin does incredible things with the OM size. I actually prefer it to his Mod D... which is almost "too much" for me. Even in this terrible 16 second recording of a German/Braz I recently played, it's amazing how much you can hear. It was like a 308 Fazioli was hiding inside that little guitar. I asked Robin what she thought of Jason's OMs compared to Ervin's when I visited her shop (the Guitar Gallery) in Nashville. Never one to mince words, her response was: "Oh shoot, they're just as good! I couldn't tell the difference!"
Well, the Mod-D is a lot of guitar but I don't think I could play anything else at this stage...

That said Jason's OM's are spectacular, I played one in concert at last year's Healdsburg show. Gorgeous koa with an Italian spruce top... very naughty...

Here's the video... the audio is from the camera only so it only shows maybe 30% of what the guitar is actually capable of.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Well, the Mod-D is a lot of guitar but I don't think I could play anything else at this stage...
For me, I think it's just a simple case of stylistic incompatibility. For most of the things I play and the way I think compositionally on the guitar, the response of guitars in the Somogyi camp (regardless of body size, really) aren't always ideal. It's *really* fun to play to their strengths, though! They are incredible guitars. Nice pic and great vid, Michael!

Last edited by usb_chord; 11-02-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
For me, I think it's just a simple case of stylistic incompatibility. For most of the things I play and the way I think compositionally on the guitar, the response of guitars in the Somogyi camp (regardless of body size, really) aren't always ideal. It's *really* fun to play to their strengths, though! They are incredible guitars. Nice pic and great vid, Michael!
This is actually what intrigues me about Jason Kostal. He seems to take a lot of that Somogyi sound and response, and adds (my words, nobody else's) focus. It's some of the diffusion of sound that, for me, limits the use of a Somogyi in certain ways--although I'd happily take a Somogyi, ha ha! But I continually hear that Jason adds a focusing of that in some really important ways, at least for my playing styles.

As an aside, Mike D knows my preferences here pretty well, and he was one who really (re-)sparked my interest. In fact, he essentially called me on the way home from Woodstock and said, "Listen, you really need to talk to Jason Kostal about his guitars." When I mentioned that I was diving back into Michael Hedges, he was even more excited, probably because (as has been said before) Jason is a monster player and knows that repertoire really well.

-B

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
This is actually what intrigues me about Jason Kostal. He seems to take a lot of that Somogyi sound and response, and adds (my words, nobody else's) focus. It's some of the diffusion of sound that, for me, limits the use of a Somogyi in certain ways--although I'd happily take a Somogyi, ha ha! But I continually hear that Jason adds a focusing of that in some really important ways, at least for my playing styles.

As an aside, Mike D knows my preferences here pretty well, and he was one who really (re-)sparked my interest. In fact, he essentially called me on the way home from Woodstock and said, "Listen, you really need to talk to Jason Kostal about his guitars." When I mentioned that I was diving back into Michael Hedges, he was even more excited, probably because (as has been said before) Jason is a monster player and knows that repertoire really well.

-B
OK, I need to play a Kostal!!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post

-B
He should do... Jason studied with Michael Hedges...
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop