The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2023, 08:45 AM

Default NGD: 1978 Martin D-18

It's been a while since I posted here, so I thought I'd post my most recent acquisition, a Martin D-18 from 1978. Martins from the 70s don't seem to get much love. I agree that they are overbuilt, so I understand why they tend to be heavily modded, but at the same time, I think they can be great guitars stock. I'm gonna play this one for a few weeks and see how I like it, and then decide whether I keep it or sell it on. The neck is great, a medium rounded-C shape, and overall it's in great shape. I'm pretty sure the previous owner got it decades ago and just kept it in the case. Speaking of the case, that lining is as 70s as it gets, in my opinion
It feels quite different from the modern D-18s I've played and doesn't have the same low-end thump as my Reimagined 00-18. That's not necessarily bad, just different. It's extremely light and resonant. Definitely feels like 50 year old wood. I currently have PB strings on it, but I'm excited to see how 80/20s sound as well. Here are some pictures:

2021 Gibson SG Standard VOS
2021 Rickenbacker 330
Old 09-21-2023, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Wow, congratulations! That D-18 is in great shape for a 45 year-old guitar! And so is the case.

I'm sure you'll be careful with that case. As you likely know, those plastic cases are known for suddenly closing on your guitar and putting a big ding in it.

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2023, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Nice guitar, congratulations!

I agree that your probably sounds much different that a modern D-18. I have two modern Martin Dreads and this summer I got a 1979 D-35. It sounds much different and I'm happy with it just like it is. I'm just going to try a few different strings on it but I'm leaving it the way it is. I think it sounds great!
Old 09-21-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eythor View Post
It's been a while since I posted here, so I thought I'd post my most recent acquisition, a Martin D-18 from 1978. Martins from the 70s don't seem to get much love. I agree that they are overbuilt, so I understand why they tend to be heavily modded, but at the same time, I think they can be great guitars stock. I'm gonna play this one for a few weeks and see how I like it, and then decide whether I keep it or sell it on. The neck is great, a medium rounded-C shape, and overall it's in great shape. I'm pretty sure the previous owner got it decades ago and just kept it in the case. Speaking of the case, that lining is as 70s as it gets, in my opinion
It feels quite different from the modern D-18s I've played and doesn't have the same low-end thump as my Reimagined 00-18. That's not necessarily bad, just different. It's extremely light and resonant. Definitely feels like 50 year old wood. I currently have PB strings on it, but I'm excited to see how 80/20s sound as well. Here are some pictures:
Much congrats, indeed. Great acquisition. 70s Martins are fantastic instruments. And I don't agree that they're overbuilt. They're exactly the way they ought to be: tone and physical-exquisite exemplars of excellence. I even like the "oversized" bridges on 'em. So in regards to those particular preferential predilections I'm likely to get excommunicated here by not a few folks in the acoustic guitar congregation who continue to proclaim the customary canonical doctrine of 70s Martins inferiority. Grin.

Addendum: I have a couple of first generation 70s Martin Blue Steel themoplastic cases with the deep blue interior (sometimes colloquially called "Steal Me" cases) that Martin introduced in 1971--predating your fine example with rust-colored lining--attractive vintage artifacts in their own right.

Last edited by Inyo; 09-21-2023 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

looks great to me. In a way I prefer rosewood bridge and board on a D-18.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow, congratulations! That D-18 is in great shape for a 45 year-old guitar! And so is the case.

I'm sure you'll be careful with that case. As you likely know, those plastic cases are known for suddenly closing on your guitar and putting a big ding in it.

- Glenn
Thanks! I once spoke to a guy who told me about an OM-28 he'd spent considerable time saving up for. He used to keep it in its case under the living room sofa, with the latches unlocked. One day his wife was cleaning the floors and needed to move the guitar. She grabbed the case by the handle, the case opened with the guitar rolling out, landing on the guide pin on one of the latches and making a huge dent in the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
looks great to me. In a way I prefer rosewood bridge and board on a D-18.
I agree. I prefer ebony in general but I like the simple, "less blingy" appointments on a D-18.
2021 Gibson SG Standard VOS
2021 Rickenbacker 330
Old 09-21-2023, 01:19 PM

Sweet looking guitar and case! I bet it sounds great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d18, dreadnought, martin, vintage