The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

How about a Gibson G-45 Standard? Really nice guitar, but new... did I miss the bit where you mentioned a budget?
Old 12-05-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Arrange a trip to Lowden, Avalon and McIlroy guitars to try out their offerings. If nothing they have floats your boat (or fits your budget) then at least you'll know that you have tried some exceptional instruments that you can judge others against.
I've owned a S12 from the old Lowden factory and I sold it quite soon after.. I just wasn't a fan.

I've also tried some f35s and f50s, they were beautiful.
I haven't tried Avalon or Mcilroy
Old 12-05-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
did I miss the bit where you mentioned a budget?
I don't think so, I was wondering that too. High end means very different things to different folks.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-05-2019, 10:37 AM

You say you want a small-bodied guitar, but then you say you want something larger than an 000. That's a head-scratcher. I would not call anything larger than an 000 a small-bodied guitar.

An OM is basically the size of an 000, but has a longer scale and wider neck, which doesn't seem to suit you.

Something along the lines of a Martin 000-15m might be worth investigating, although I'm not sure how available used models would be in the UK. It has the 1 11/16" nut width you think you prefer, and it's an instrument that you could "play out" without having to worry too much about your investment. It's a guitar that gets a lot of love here on AGF, including from me.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Smile Choices, and more choices...

You might like the Steve Kinnaird in my signature below...

Mighty fine axe. Plays like a small guitar but sounds BIG.

FORTUNATELY the CITES regs have changed and it now could be shipped abroad.

Also FYI, I find the neck carve and scale length have more to do with the comfort of the instrument then whether it has a 1 11/16 inch nut, versus 1 3/4 .

Best on your search and enjoy the quest!

Play and sing 🎶 and dance every chance you get! And have a Rockin' Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza/Solstice/Festivus!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-05-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
How about a Gibson G-45 Standard? Really nice guitar, but new... did I miss the bit where you mentioned a budget?
I don't really have a budget.. but I guess lower than €4000 (used), above that nothings really worth it from my little experience..
That J-50 I tried is the only guitar I could almost justify spending 4800 on.. almost.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
You say you want a small-bodied guitar, but then you say you want something larger than an 000. That's a head-scratcher. I would not call anything larger than an 000 a small-bodied guitar.

An OM is basically the size of an 000, but has a longer scale and wider neck, which doesn't seem to suit you.

Something along the lines of a Martin 000-15m might be worth investigating, although I'm not sure how available used models would be in the UK. It has the 1 11/16" nut width you think you prefer, and it's an instrument that you could "play out" without having to worry too much about your investment. It's a guitar that gets a lot of love here on AGF, including from me.
Well I was under the assumption that I was after a smaller guitar, but having played a couple I've realised while I like the size, I don't like the sound.
I'm willing to compensate on size if it means I get the sound I want.
Seemingly that sound is from a bigger guitar.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:01 AM

You will have lots of options. I sent you a private message as well.

Good luck with your search. It will be fun!

beth
Old 12-05-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfla View Post
Well I was under the assumption that I was after a smaller guitar, but having played a couple I've realised while I like the size, I don't like the sound.
I'm willing to compensate on size if it means I get the sound I want.
Seemingly that sound is from a bigger guitar.
Yep. The only thing that truly sounds like a dreadnought is a dreadnought.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:27 AM

You might think about an old Guild dreadnought - they are built like tanks and make good guitars for "playing out" if you you are not the type of person who babies things.
There are a few listings on eBay U.K.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:32 AM

Buy yourself a Bourgeois OMS 12 fretter and all your problems are solved in one hit.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:35 AM

"High-end" has different meanings for different people, so it would be helpful if you could put a figure/budget on that. For me "high-end" starts at around $5k, and those guitars are definitely appropriate for open mics, jams, gigs in bars etc IMHO.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:42 AM

It sounds like you want a guitar that's both high end and durable, big and small, new and used, and loud and quiet.

Just visit a guitar store and start playing lots of guitars!
Old 12-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
It sounds like you want a guitar that's both high end and durable, big and small, new and used, and loud and quiet.

Just visit a guitar store and start playing lots of guitars!
I want a guitar that isn't vintage (because they tend to be more fragile).
I want a guitar that sounds 'big', I thought I wanted a small bodied guitar, turns out I don't.
I want something that will work with both light strumming (fingers typically) and finger picking.
I'm not a delicate fingerstyle guitarist, but I'm also not a bluegrass player.

I spent all of yesterday in a guitar shop, I went in to look at a pre war Martin, I then tried another pre war martin.. and then somewhere in the mix I tried a 1959 J-50 and it was the best guitar in the store bar none.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfla View Post
I want a guitar that isn't vintage (because they tend to be more fragile).
I want a guitar that sounds 'big', I thought I wanted a small bodied guitar, turns out I don't.
I want something that will work with both light strumming (fingers typically) and finger picking.
I'm not a delicate fingerstyle guitarist, but I'm also not a bluegrass player.

I spent all of yesterday in a guitar shop, I went in to look at a pre war Martin, I then tried another pre war martin.. and then somewhere in the mix I tried a 1959 J-50 and it was the best guitar in the store bar none.
Cool. There are tons and tons of guitars that could be the one you're looking for! That's always good news!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion