The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2022, 01:00 PM

When my brother died he had a couple of collections that I knew were worth a bit of money but i had no idea where to start looking to sell them. I finally figure it all out but it was very stressful.

My worldly possessions are going into a trust for my son. Yesterday, sparked by a post on on AGF, I sent a message to the estate trustees to take my better guitars to a local high end music store and put them on consignment. That shop can also suggest what to do with the beaters. Best no stress solution.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 01-18-2022, 01:05 PM

My wife and I both play and own everything jointly - all equipment will be distributed to several ministries after the survivor's passing...
Old 01-18-2022, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I will neither know, nor care - I’ll be dead.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-18-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
You own things. guitars. furniture. perhaps a house. Unless you will have no surviving family members who will have to deal with your stuff, it's selfish not to give some sort of direction as to how and/or where to dispose of them.

Been there. Done that. It ain't fun.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 01-18-2022, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

All but one of my guitars are own-builds. I've already given my wife and three adult children guitars that I built specifically for them.
Others that I build and keep will just trickle down in the family. They seem to like having them even if they don't play.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:21 PM

I've already promised my youngest daughter my Fender Stratocaster once she grows into it. I bought my oldest daughter a Gibson Les Paul Vixen back in 2007 that she said she'll never part with. I'm just storing it for her at the moment. I'll give my son one if he wants it (he's never really shown any interest). I'll give the rest of them away to local/struggling artists if any are interested. I will probably donate my Brian May electric to my local high school so they can do a Queen play if they want. I'll donate my 11 year old daughter's Squier Mini-Strat to the local elementary school once she's outgrown it. I already donated my trumpet to my local middle school once my son stopped playing it. Then my kids can decide what happens to the rest when I die (which will be my favorite acoustic: Martin 000-18 and my favorite electric: Gibson Les Paul).
Old 01-18-2022, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

I plan on downsizing at some point, but if the time comes earlier than later, I've left instructions with my kids on how to sell them - the easiest being just take them down to one of the local guitar shops to consign them. The instructions contain rough estimates of value.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graylocks View Post
You own things. guitars. furniture. perhaps a house. Unless you will have no surviving family members who will have to deal with your stuff, it's selfish not to give some sort of direction as to how and/or where to dispose of them.

Everything I own is in joint-ownership with my wife, who is the sole beneficiary in my Will. Unlike some people, I don’t get sentimental about belongings, I especially don’t get sentimental about guitars, and I don’t care what happens to them after my death. My wife can keep them (she likes that idea) or dispose of them in any way she wishes. She knows and understands my views, we discuss everything, and she is perfectly happy with them - not that our private matters are anyone else’s business.

Different people have different outlooks on the future, and they’re perfectly entitled to do things their own way. IME, it’s always better to know the full facts before you start throwing around accusations of ‘selfishness’ about people you’ve never met.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 01-20-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:

I actually don't see it as selfish at all. Telling people what to do after I'm gone seems like the ultimate in selfish egotism. AFAIC they can do whatever they want with my stuff once I'm gone. Any funds I have remaining should pay for disposal (however THEY wish to do so) leaving nobody "burdened".
Old 01-18-2022, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I've already given my Telecaster and a nice little amp to my son. I'll give my old Guild to my daughter, as it's the guitar my family and friends most associate with me.

If I still have others, I'll have a funeral pyre built with them and go out like a Viking!

(Not really! I plan to sell them off before I croak.)
Old 01-18-2022, 03:52 PM

If any of my kids want one or two, they are welcome. I don't think they will, except maybe my son, who plays a little, is a fine woodworker and has accompanied me to several guitar shows. I have directed for the rest to be consigned and feel money will be more appreciated than sentimentality. But all that is after my wife decides, who would probably do the same thing. It's not in the will but is written down. When I feel I am winding down, I hoe to be able to dispose of them myself, but can't count on that. If I were playing regularly with a young person who'd appreciate what I have, I'd first give them their choice. Only, I'm not, not right now.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I actually don't see it as selfish at all. Telling people what to do after I'm gone seems like the ultimate in selfish egotism. AFAIC they can do whatever they want with my stuff once I'm gone. Any funds I have remaining should pay for disposal (however THEY wish to do so) leaving nobody "burdened".
What I mean is for some items, like high end guitars, it's useful to tell them how/where to get the best price if they chose to sell them. I guess i phrased it the way i did as i know my son wouldn't want the guitars and I gave the trustees a start to dealing with them. My brother had a vintage magazine collection that I had to research how to sell it. That kind of help is very useful to survivors.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 01-18-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
What I mean is for some items, like high end guitars, it's useful to tell them how/where to get the best price if they chose to sell them. I guess i phrased it the way i did as i know my son wouldn't want the guitars and I gave the trustees a start to dealing with them. My brother had a vintage magazine collection that I had to research how to sell it. That kind of help is very useful to survivors.
Well luckily I don't own anything more valuable than a $2k guitar. Most of my stuff will go into a dumpster and my family will just split the savings (such as they are) after they pay for removal services (and my funeral?).

Sounds like you did a lot of research to get the maximum possible return on the inheritance. It's far easier to simply throw/give stuff away or sell it fast and cheap. Especially since it wasn't your money to begin with.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:06 PM

I am in the process of writing a letter that will go to our executor. It will specify who gets each guitar and who gets other “personal items” (like my watch, a ring, my rocking chair, some family heirlooms, etc.).

While it doesn’t matter all that much to me, I know from experience that it means a lot to those who outlive me to know that I have given this some thought, and have intended to leave them something that they have seen me use or wear.

My stepson will get a guitar even though he doesn’t play, my godson is just starting to play so he will get one, and I will leave one to a couple of friends/jam buddies.

Any assets that I still own (house, retirement accounts will go to family or charities.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:08 PM

My daughter gets my Larrivee C-10 Deluxe and my wife gets my 64 D-21 Martin.
The rest, along with amps and all other gear will be given to underprivileged kids who would otherwise not have the means to buy their own guitar/gear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion