The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-06-2022, 10:36 AM

Default Gibson ES-175 - Calling All Gibson Enthusiasts!

Hi - I want to get a 175 after playing acoustic flat tops for the last 15 years. I have no idea about what a used one should cost.

Question: What price range should I expect to be in for an excellent condition ES-175 from the 1990s?

Thanks

Last edited by cheer tunes; 01-06-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:35 PM

Great guitars! Probably the most recorded jazz guitar on the planet...my impression; not based on scientific data.

Many knock-offs; few that actually capture the exact, same tone. The best one I've ever played...a used, mid 1970's version. I still kick myself for not buying.

Don't know the current day prices, but I'm sure someone here will know. Just wanted to offer my support of your decision to procure one.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer tunes View Post
...Question: What price range should I expect to be in for an excellent condition ES-175 from the 1990s?
Depending on local market/seller (private or dealer) and finish, starting at around $3000 and working up from there; BTW I'd also recommend looking into a Heritage H-575 - made at the old Kalamazoo Gibson factory to near-identical specs, and IME they sell for substantially less on the used market...
Old 01-08-2022, 09:57 AM

H575 ARE WONDERFUL. I'm familiar with that model. The Seth Lover PUPs are my fav, the twang you can get from blending the PUPs is excellent! It also does the darker jazz tone really well
Old 01-08-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Depending on local market/seller (private or dealer) and finish, starting at around $3000 and working up from there; BTW I'd also recommend looking into a Heritage H-575 - made at the old Kalamazoo Gibson factory to near-identical specs, and IME they sell for substantially less on the used market...
H575 ARE WONDERFUL. I'm familiar with that model. The Seth Lover PUPs are my fav, the twang you can get from blending the PUPs is excellent! It also does the darker jazz tone really well

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops