The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-11-2022, 07:57 PM
inc0herent inc0herent is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Hey wait! Are you cheating on me lol!
Oh man, this is awkward! I thought we agreed to see other people.
__________________
Seth G.
---


2016 Vines SL Carpathian/Dark Jatoba - For Sale
----------------
2022 R. Urlacher Parlor WRC/Pink Ivory - Coming Soon
2023 S. Kinnaird Student Build TBD - Coming Soon
2023 R. Thames D-18 #28 - Coming Soon



Last edited by inc0herent; 01-12-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-11-2022, 08:05 PM
inc0herent inc0herent is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego
Posts: 173
Default

A few more shots of the progress. We're using figured Malaysian Blackwood for binding and fretboard and a nice piece for the tip of the cutaway. Sneak peak at the rosette, too. She's comin together!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backnsides.jpg (43.5 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg cutme.jpg (27.0 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg rosette.jpg (49.0 KB, 288 views)
__________________
Seth G.
---


2016 Vines SL Carpathian/Dark Jatoba - For Sale
----------------
2022 R. Urlacher Parlor WRC/Pink Ivory - Coming Soon
2023 S. Kinnaird Student Build TBD - Coming Soon
2023 R. Thames D-18 #28 - Coming Soon


Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-11-2022, 08:51 PM
BEJ BEJ is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc0herent View Post
A few more shots of the progress. We're using figured Malaysian Blackwood for binding and fretboard and a nice piece for the tip of the cutaway. Sneak peak at the rosette, too. She's comin together!
Great looking build, will that amazing color be maintained on finishing and aging?

Bruce,
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-11-2022, 09:21 PM
inc0herent inc0herent is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Great looking build, will that amazing color be maintained on finishing and aging?

Bruce,
Pink Ivory does tend to fade towards brown under exposure to UV, but I believe that Rebecca uses a Urethane finish that resists this. I have seen pictures of Pink Ivory guitars that are 10 years old and still maintain their color.
__________________
Seth G.
---


2016 Vines SL Carpathian/Dark Jatoba - For Sale
----------------
2022 R. Urlacher Parlor WRC/Pink Ivory - Coming Soon
2023 S. Kinnaird Student Build TBD - Coming Soon
2023 R. Thames D-18 #28 - Coming Soon



Last edited by inc0herent; 01-12-2022 at 01:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-11-2022, 09:28 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 3,303
Default

That’s sooo pretty.

Steve
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-12-2022, 08:33 AM
Larry Pattis's Avatar
Larry Pattis Larry Pattis is offline
Humanist
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,898
Default Pink Ivory Parlor Safari Sunset - Urlacher Early 2022 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc0herent View Post
Pink Ivory does tend to fade towards brown under exposure to UV, but I believe that Rebecca uses a Urethane finish that resists this. I have seen pictures of Pink Ivory guitars that are 10 years old and still maintain their color.


Rebecca uses a polyester finish, I believe…

…and in regards to the whole golf thing, Rebecca’s excellence crosses many boundaries, including having been on the University of Oregon women’s golf team!

On topic, congrats again on what will be a rather excellent build!
__________________
Larry Pattis on Spotify and Pandora
LarryPattis.com
American Guitar Masters
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-12-2022, 10:27 AM
inc0herent inc0herent is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
That’s sooo pretty.

Steve
Thanks Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Rebecca uses a polyester finish, I believe…

…and in regards to the whole golf thing, Rebecca’s excellence crosses many boundaries, including having been on the University of Oregon women’s golf team!

On topic, congrats again on what will be a rather excellent build!
You are correct a about both the golf and the finish! Your's is probably being sprayed as we speak

Here are the main differences between Polyurethane and Polyester finishes for those that are curious as I was:

"Polyester is +/- 96% solid content, polyurethane is between 50% to 65% solid content. Because polyester has a much higher solid content than polyurethane, polyester’s surface is stronger
making it less vulnerable to scratching and chemical cleaning. However, polyurethane is more flexible than polyester making it suitable for applications where flexibility is important.
Both polyester and polyurethane are UV stabilized.
UV Stabilized means they have added a stabilizer to the resin to allow it to protect the substance from the long-term degradation from UV light."

Cheers!
__________________
Seth G.
---


2016 Vines SL Carpathian/Dark Jatoba - For Sale
----------------
2022 R. Urlacher Parlor WRC/Pink Ivory - Coming Soon
2023 S. Kinnaird Student Build TBD - Coming Soon
2023 R. Thames D-18 #28 - Coming Soon


Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-12-2022, 10:40 AM
MThomson MThomson is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 596
Default

Wow, that's beautiful. And so unusual.
__________________
Martin
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-12-2022, 11:22 AM
jaymarsch jaymarsch is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Posts: 8,730
Default

Gorgeous! I love pink ivory ever since I encountered it on a fine Bill Tippin guitar. It is great to hear about another talented luthier working with it. Congrats!

Best,
Jayne
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-14-2022, 11:30 AM
inc0herent inc0herent is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Wow, that's beautiful. And so unusual.
Thank you. Rebecca's son said it reminded him of rare filet mignon. Unusual indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Gorgeous! I love pink ivory ever since I encountered it on a fine Bill Tippin guitar. It is great to hear about another talented luthier working with it. Congrats!

Best,
Jayne
Agreed! Thank you
__________________
Seth G.
---


2016 Vines SL Carpathian/Dark Jatoba - For Sale
----------------
2022 R. Urlacher Parlor WRC/Pink Ivory - Coming Soon
2023 S. Kinnaird Student Build TBD - Coming Soon
2023 R. Thames D-18 #28 - Coming Soon



Last edited by inc0herent; 01-14-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-14-2022, 05:46 PM
inc0herent inc0herent is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego
Posts: 173
Default

I'm most likely switching from Gotoh 510's to Schertler's. Rebecca hasn't used them before but is game to try something new (as always). I've never had a guitar with these but have read good things and I love the look. Clean and classy.
.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black_chrome_schert.jpg (26.4 KB, 206 views)
__________________
Seth G.
---


2016 Vines SL Carpathian/Dark Jatoba - For Sale
----------------
2022 R. Urlacher Parlor WRC/Pink Ivory - Coming Soon
2023 S. Kinnaird Student Build TBD - Coming Soon
2023 R. Thames D-18 #28 - Coming Soon



Last edited by inc0herent; 01-15-2022 at 01:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-15-2022, 09:06 AM
Larry Pattis's Avatar
Larry Pattis Larry Pattis is offline
Humanist
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc0herent View Post
I'm most likely switching from Gotoh 510's to Schertler's. Rebecca hasn't used them before but is game to try something new (as always). I've never had a guitar with these but have read good things and I love the look. Clean and classy.
.


Ratio on the Schertlers?

On a 25” scale guitar I prefer a 21:1 tuner…
__________________
Larry Pattis on Spotify and Pandora
LarryPattis.com
American Guitar Masters
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-15-2022, 11:06 AM
inc0herent inc0herent is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Ratio on the Schertlers?

On a 25” scale guitar I prefer a 21:1 tuner…
Thanks for the feedback. They are 18:1. I think the Gotoh 510 mini's we were going to use were also 18:1. I know the midsize come in 21:1 and maybe that is the better option.

I have also considered the newer Waverly 21:1 for another open back option. I haven't had problems with Waverly's but I see a fair number of people with issues with them.
__________________
Seth G.
---


2016 Vines SL Carpathian/Dark Jatoba - For Sale
----------------
2022 R. Urlacher Parlor WRC/Pink Ivory - Coming Soon
2023 S. Kinnaird Student Build TBD - Coming Soon
2023 R. Thames D-18 #28 - Coming Soon


Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-15-2022, 11:50 AM
Larry Pattis's Avatar
Larry Pattis Larry Pattis is offline
Humanist
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,898
Default Urlacher Pink Ivory Parlor - Safari Sunset - Early 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc0herent View Post
Thanks for the feedback. They are 18:1. I think the Gotoh 510 mini's we were going to use were also 18:1. I know the midsize come in 21:1 and maybe that is the better option.



I have also considered the newer Waverly 21:1 for another open back option. I haven't had problems with Waverly's but I see a fair number of people with issues with them.


Yes, the Gotoh minis are 18:1.

I mean, the lower ratio is acceptable, but when I can get them, I go for full-size and higher ratio tuners.

As always, it’s about personal preference; just as with strings, and so many other choices we make for our custom guitars! [emoji41]
__________________
Larry Pattis on Spotify and Pandora
LarryPattis.com
American Guitar Masters
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-15-2022, 12:17 PM
Dustinfurlow Dustinfurlow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,470
Default

Gosh, her woodworking is some of the cleanest I have seen. And cool you're going with the Schertlers, I've liked every experience I have had using them.
__________________
Dustin Furlow

-Award-winning Songwriter/Guitarist, Visual Storyteller
-Proudly endorsed by Larrivee Guitars, D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound
-Music on Spotify and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-"Woodscapes" Modern Solo-Guitar Album and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=