The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2021, 05:41 AM

Default Thoughts on 2005 Taylor 714ce

Just looking to leverage the collective knowledge of AGF.

Looking at picking up a 2005 Taylor 714ce, Western Red Cedar over EI Rosewood. My uses would be mainly finger style and light strumming. It has the E1 system but I mainly play acoustic at home for my own enjoyment.

My question is how will the tone/sound compare to my usual Sitka over Mahog that I play? I have heard good things on this model/vintage of Taylor. I believe its old enough to not have the dreaded V-class bracing.

If I did want to upgrade from the E1 system for amplification, what would you recommend as a direct replacement? I would not want to start cutting additional holes in the sides of the guitar.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2021, 07:52 AM

I used to own some Taylors and still own three besides other brands and models.

I still own Taylors 510, 412ce and 322.
I had 512, GS-5, 712 (aka GC size) for a while.
I never had a GA (xx4) but am currently looking for one of those.

So, the 2005 714ce, not a V-class, compared to a Sitka/Mahogany (size?),
would deliver more basses and overtones.
The cedar top kind of prohibit agressive strumming.

The ES I has a sensor hidden under the end of the neck :
Three bolts to unscrew (two hidden under the sticker).
I do not know if Taylor offers and upgrade to ES II.

My 2006 510 came plain and I had the K&K combo installed later on.
I had LRBaggs iBeam system, a combo, installed on some other acoustics.
Both were great then.

The 714 should be a great guitar for fingerstyle !

P.S. By the way, I did make that easy neck reset on my 510 by myself recently.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:21 AM

That 714 should be a fingerstyle beast!

I have the Grand Symphony version of that guitar with the same woods, it sounds great.

You should expect a more balanced sound with less mids compared to your hog guitar.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by praichel View Post
Just looking to leverage the collective knowledge of AGF.

Looking at picking up a 2005 Taylor 714ce, Western Red Cedar over EI Rosewood. My uses would be mainly finger style and light strumming. It has the E1 system but I mainly play acoustic at home for my own enjoyment.

My question is how will the tone/sound compare to my usual Sitka over Mahog that I play? I have heard good things on this model/vintage of Taylor. I believe its old enough to not have the dreaded V-class bracing.

If I did want to upgrade from the E1 system for amplification, what would you recommend as a direct replacement? I would not want to start cutting additional holes in the sides of the guitar.

Thanks in advance
Hi priachel…

I owned a 1999 714ce (same wood combo & size but different pickup system). My gigging partner purchased mine in 2006 as his main acoustic guitar, and still owns/plays it. Both of us use the neck past the 12th fret, so the cutaway is both welcome, and useful.

I sold it because he needed a 'life' guitar, and it was too much the same tone profile as my Olson (1993 EIR/Cedar). The Olson is my main guitar, and I didn't need/want two guitars that much alike.

If you want to upgrade the electronics on any guitar, you can disconnect the internal electronics (or just take out the battery) and leave the parts in place.

Then add a new pickup and end jack (the Taylor end jack is easier to leave in place than mess with).

My gigging partner added a K&K Pure Mini and an additional jack below the original. A K&K Pure Mini requires zero holes (other than the end jack).

The tone of mine (now his) has a rich tone, with wonderful bass and full sounding, clear trebles. By the time I sold it, the tone was very rich and warm, and the clarity and sustain were very pleasant. It had great resonance, and sustain. It still sounds like that.

I have two local friends with the exact same model all purchased between 1999 and 2003, and they each have slightly different tone. One has less bass than mine did, and one is very similar to mine and a bit more mellow.

There used to be a third in town, but the owner moved to Georgia about a dozen years back. Hers sounded nearly identical to mine. All the players are using them for fingerstyle and light strumming, and in fact acquired them with that in mind.

Three of the four are used full-time in worship settings, and the fourth for open mics and coffee house gigs. Last time I communicated with the owner in Georgia, it was still her main guitar.

My gigging partner and I both used this guitar for gigs and for recording…it's just a great sounding acoustic. I tried to buy it back (to gift to my daughter-in-law), but he won't sell.

All three of the local ones I have played and sat in the audience and listened for the past 20 years. They would be described as having tone on the warm side with great clarity. I was surprised and disappointed when Taylor changed the woods for the 700 series and moved away from Rosewood/Cedar to spruce.

I ran phosphor bronze or bronze on mine depending on what I was using it for.

I'm adding a link to a recording (short) of it made by a friend who I loaned it to for a project.

Worthy Is the Lamb - Drew Collins - CliCk

Fades in and out. Rode NT-3 on the guitar, AKG 414 TL II on the vocal. Recorded in single take.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 08-09-2021 at 08:37 AM. Reason: added song link using the a Taylor 714ce.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I had that same combination in a 710ce. The top is more easily dinged, but it was a very nice guitar, even with the ES1 System.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion