The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 09-28-2021, 07:10 AM
EWman EWman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 38
Default

I tried out the PRX One at GC the other day, just an acoustic guitar with everything set flat. I really wanted to like it as I have always been a JBL fan. It just sounded a bit muddy to my ears. I compared to Bose L1 Pro 8, EV Evolve 30m and EV Evolve 50. Keep in mind that everything was set flat on each. The Bose sounded very clear, but lacked low end. The EV's took the win for me as for my sound preference so far. I still want to try out the Bose L1 Pro 16 though.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-28-2021, 11:22 AM
Stringmaster Stringmaster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWman View Post
I tried out the PRX One at GC the other day, just an acoustic guitar with everything set flat. I really wanted to like it as I have always been a JBL fan. It just sounded a bit muddy to my ears. I compared to Bose L1 Pro 8, EV Evolve 30m and EV Evolve 50. Keep in mind that everything was set flat on each. The Bose sounded very clear, but lacked low end. The EV's took the win for me as for my sound preference so far. I still want to try out the Bose L1 Pro 16 though.
Is it possible to download the apps on a device prior to auditioning the systems? That way you could do some homework on the app, and try some of the presets/settings that might be more appropriate for solo acoustic performance. I’m not sure that using “flat” settings is the best option for the different systems—particularly since they are marketed as multi-purpose for DJ’s etc. I.e. a flat setting my be great for a DJ, but not for acoustic guitar. I think the JBL might hold much more promise if dialed in. I’ve only heard the Pro 16 and PRX with recorded acoustic music, with no tweaking of settings. I thought the JBL was punchier (maybe too much so), and found the Bose to be a little “softer” sounding—but those aren’t real world applications or settings.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-28-2021, 11:28 AM
EWman EWman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Is it possible to download the apps on a device prior to auditioning the systems? That way you could do some homework on the app, and try some of the presets/settings that might be more appropriate for solo acoustic performance. I’m not sure that using “flat” settings is the best option for the different systems—particularly since they are marketed as multi-purpose for DJ’s etc. I.e. a flat setting my be great for a DJ, but not for acoustic guitar. I think the JBL might hold much more promise if dialed in. I’ve only heard the Pro 16 and PRX with recorded acoustic music, with no tweaking of settings. I thought the JBL was punchier (maybe too much so), and found the Bose to be a little “softer” sounding—but those aren’t real world applications or settings.
I agree that setting everything flat isn't practical for real world use. This was just the best option I had for comparing the different systems I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-28-2021, 02:26 PM
Chriscom's Avatar
Chriscom Chriscom is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Northern Virginia/DC/USA
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Is it possible to download the apps on a device prior to auditioning the systems? That way you could do some homework on the app, and try some of the presets/settings that might be more appropriate for solo acoustic performance.
Yes. I have both the Bose L1 Pro app and Evolve app on my Android phone. And own none of those systems
__________________
AGF Open Mic Facebook Group
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-29-2021, 07:48 AM
JackB1 JackB1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWman View Post
I tried out the PRX One at GC the other day, just an acoustic guitar with everything set flat. I really wanted to like it as I have always been a JBL fan. It just sounded a bit muddy to my ears. I compared to Bose L1 Pro 8, EV Evolve 30m and EV Evolve 50. Keep in mind that everything was set flat on each. The Bose sounded very clear, but lacked low end. The EV's took the win for me as for my sound preference so far. I still want to try out the Bose L1 Pro 16 though.
I love my Evolve 30M!
__________________
Gear: Martin SC13e, Martin GPC16E Special, Acoustic Flyrig, TCH Harmony GXT
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-29-2021, 12:00 PM
rogueacoustic rogueacoustic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I love my Evolve 30M!
Same. Love it so much, I bought it’s twin sister.
__________________
Martin HD40 MK
Martin SC-10E
Takamine EF341SC
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-03-2021, 04:19 PM
JackB1 JackB1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueacoustic View Post
Same. Love it so much, I bought it’s twin sister.
Do you use any of the effects? My only complaint is that the effects aren’t great.
__________________
Gear: Martin SC13e, Martin GPC16E Special, Acoustic Flyrig, TCH Harmony GXT
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-03-2021, 04:38 PM
rogueacoustic rogueacoustic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 86
Default

Oh yeah. A touch of delay and compression. Sounds great. I never use reverb on anything. Only a drum kit on a full PA.
__________________
Martin HD40 MK
Martin SC-10E
Takamine EF341SC
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-05-2021, 12:06 PM
slewis slewis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Seattle-ish, WA USA
Posts: 3,309
Default

Some freaking incredible technology available these days!!
Those of you who are relatively old like me -- -- can appreciate it all far more, I'm sure, than all these young whippersnappers who never got to lug-around a pair of 200-pound PA bass-bins and all the other "accessories."
__________________
.
- Sean

...SeanLewisMusic..>>..Find me HERE on iTunes

Composite Acoustics GX | Larrivee LV-03 | Gretsch 5422T | Godin Duet Ambience | 1965 Gibson LG1 | Fender '62 Reissue Jazz | Fender American Standard Strat | Ibanez Portamento Bass | Fender Player Series Jaguar | Fender Telecaster Player Series | Guild B140 Acoustic Bass | Blackbird Rider Steel | Collings MTO Mando | Godin A8 mando
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-05-2021, 02:32 PM
rogueacoustic rogueacoustic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Some freaking incredible technology available these days!!
Those of you who are relatively old like me -- -- can appreciate it all far more, I'm sure, than all these young whippersnappers who never got to lug-around a pair of 200-pound PA bass-bins and all the other "accessories."
No kidding. I’ve got one word for you. “Peavey”. The heaviest gear per dollar ever.

Back to the PRX array. My buddy just bought a pair. He uses for DJ purposes though. I can’t wait to give them a listen.
__________________
Martin HD40 MK
Martin SC-10E
Takamine EF341SC
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-05-2021, 04:41 PM
EWman EWman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueacoustic View Post
No kidding. I’ve got one word for you. “Peavey”. The heaviest gear per dollar ever.
Yeah….when I first started playing and singing, my dad had an ‘80s Peavey setup. A pair of SP2’s, 2 wedge monitors, and an XR700 powered mixer. It was all built like it was made for war. But I would never want to haul that stuff again. Even the Peavey microphones we had felt like holding bricks!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-06-2021, 01:06 AM
larren larren is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Some freaking incredible technology available these days!!
Those of you who are relatively old like me -- -- can appreciate it all far more, I'm sure, than all these young whippersnappers who never got to lug-around a pair of 200-pound PA bass-bins and all the other "accessories."
My back is hurting just thinking about it!! S bins, J bins, mids, 45/60s, then later JBL 1400s, amp racks, effects racks, desks........even the passive wedges were freakin' heavy!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-09-2021, 12:54 PM
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWman View Post
Yeah….when I first started playing and singing, my dad had an ‘80s Peavey setup. A pair of SP2’s, 2 wedge monitors, and an XR700 powered mixer. It was all built like it was made for war. But I would never want to haul that stuff again. Even the Peavey microphones we had felt like holding bricks!

I had similar gear for my band back then. That stuff was built like tanks and weighed the same too!
__________________
Martin D-28 Custom Authentic '37
Martin D-28 Marquis
Guild F-512
"Lift your head and smile at trouble. You'll find happiness someday."
Less clicking, more picking.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-18-2022, 04:36 PM
EWman EWman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWman View Post
I tried out the PRX One at GC the other day, just an acoustic guitar with everything set flat. I really wanted to like it as I have always been a JBL fan. It just sounded a bit muddy to my ears. I compared to Bose L1 Pro 8, EV Evolve 30m and EV Evolve 50. Keep in mind that everything was set flat on each. The Bose sounded very clear, but lacked low end. The EV's took the win for me as for my sound preference so far. I still want to try out the Bose L1 Pro 16 though.
OK, so I’m revisiting my earlier thoughts on this. I want to give the PRX One another (and fair) chance. Who is using it and what do you think? How does it compare to the Evolve 50m? I know both of those are somewhat new (yes the 30m has been a round a while, but not 50m). I’ve been checking YouTube but really there only a few reviews of unboxing and showing basic features. About a $400 difference, so if they are pretty much equal otherwise then that makes the choice obvious.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-18-2022, 05:40 PM
Stringmaster Stringmaster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 483
Default

Follow-up: I loaded the EV and JBL apps on my phone and went to a local Guitar Center. It was cool because the salesman allowed me to play around on my own, without any sales pitch or bias. I had recorded music on my phone that is in my style (just just straight acoustic guitar and vocals). I started with the JBL, and had no luck maneuvering the software to get my phone paired. I then went to the 30M and figured it out pretty easily. I liked it overall. I then asked the salesman to help me with the JBL, with no luck pairing either my phone or his. He mentioned that they previously had a lot of trouble when the system first came in—so I never got to hear it. We then connected the Evolve 50 (not the M), and I did a back and forth comparison between that and the 30M. I really preferred the larger system’s fullness and warmth. I looked at the Bose 16 which I had previously auditioned (and liked), but I was pretty much sold on the Evolve 50’s sound, software, and robust (wood and aluminum vs plastic) construction. So I ordered a 50M since I wanted the mixer, and put it through it’s paces during the 45 day approval period. While I haven’t had it out to a gig yet I’m real impressed the system overall. I’ve tried it with and without condenser mics, an external mixer, and slaving my Bose S1. I even dialed in a decent sound with an electric archtop. While it’s not 100% perfect, I feel it comes the closest overall for my needs, and set up is fast and easy! It is a little on the heavy side, but not bad, and I plan to get the rolling cart. I was also swayed by hearing a local artist performing at both indoor and outdoor venues locally, and the sound was excellent (and I got to sit in on it). I did think about also buying the Bose to audition at home for a month or so before deciding, but I feel that the Evolve gets it done for me.

Last edited by Stringmaster; 01-18-2022 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=