The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2022, 07:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
why would I be tempted to buy an imported laminate Martin pushing $2k? I must be confused here, somebody please help me out.
Because the SC design (all 4 models) offer revolutionary playability…. whether you play past the 7th fret or not. They’re not for everyone, but they’re not just a cutaway a/e.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-20-2022, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
I have no problem with cutaways in general. But that guitar looks like it has had a stroke - it's all fallen down on one side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
So when did Andy Powers shift to Martin?

They kept that quiet.
Andy Powers, or someone at Breedlove or Bourgeois:

It could be worse, Martin could’ve copied this Breedlove:

Old 01-20-2022, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a long time Martin fan. I’m down to 2 acoustics and they’re both Martins.

But with Epiphone’s Inspired by Gibson line selling imported J45s, J200s and Hummingbirds with all solid woods for under $1k why would I be tempted to buy an imported laminate Martin pushing $2k? I must be confused here, somebody please help me out.
Because it offers me something fir my solo gigs that no other acoustic can offer: the ability to play acoustic guitar styles that can't be played on electric and on the same guitar play electric style songs and leads that cannot be played on any other acoustic.

I get that people think it's ugly and i'm not a huge fan of the fret markers or rosette but every important part of the guitar has a purpose. The huge cutaway is for easy upper fret access. The extra size on the lower bout it to ensure a sufficient amount of space inside the guitar for volume and bass response. I get people not liking the aesthetics but when Imm playing in a bar i don't give a rip what i look like, only how i sound. I'm good with some ugly... don't care.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't means it's stupid or pointless. You may not understand calculus, but that doesn't make it useless or stupid. If you people on the forum don't like it, guess what? It probably wasn't designed for you. But for me, it is absolutely the perfect TOOL for me to MAKE MUSIC.
Martin 000 Jr
Old 01-20-2022, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey, it's the new Salvador Dali Signature Model!
That's funny because since the first one came out, it immediatley made me think of Dali.

On what I've read about the new models, I've wanted to play the SC-13E to test its playability, despite not liking the Martin Dali visually. But that much money (on the high end) for laminates does not inspire.

And I'm not at all against imports, although these days a Mexican product scarcely seems like an import. My two favorite guitars are Mexico Martin Road Series.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

I missed these:

Martin certainly has not cornered the market for Dali-esque guitars… I believe that bottom one is a dislocated-shoulder dreadfulnought.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Am I missing something or is it just a different veneer and pickup for $200 more dollars or is more changed?
Old 01-21-2022, 06:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Am I missing something or is it just a different veneer and pickup for $200 more dollars or is more changed?

We're working on adding a comparison page to our website today. The differences are basically B&S, tuners, electronics, fingerboard inlays & headstock logo... more or less.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-21-2022, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I missed these:
Martin certainly has not cornered the market for Dali-esque guitars… I believe that bottom one is a dislocated-shoulder dreadfulnought.
Man, I love that last one... hahaha... eye of the beholder I guess.
Martin 000 Jr
Old 01-21-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Andy Powers, or someone at Breedlove or Bourgeois:

It could be worse, Martin could’ve copied this Breedlove:

Send these monsters back to hell where they belong!
Old 01-21-2022, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Send these monsters back to hell where they belong!

Actually, I’m intrigued by the look of the Breedlove CM models. It reminds me of the Kay Kraft Stromberg Viosinet Guitars that were out in the 1930’s. I think that particular design may have influenced Breedlove for this model. See the pic here of Toby Walker’s Kay Kraft S V. Trying something new through healthy innovation is okay by me.
IMG_1642774209.420504.jpg
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)
Old 01-21-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

"Just because you don't understand it doesn't means it's stupid or pointless. You may not understand calculus, but that doesn't make it useless or stupid."[/QUOTE]

Don't think I ever stated it was stupid or pointless, but thanks for your calculated reply.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't think I ever stated it was stupid or pointless, but thanks for your calculated reply.
Thanks, I was trying not to sound like a jerk, but I'd had a few beers and may have gotten a touch hyperbolic hahaha... these are good discussions. You probably noticed but I'm super passionate about this guitar because it is literally the only model available to do what I need. It gives me a whole palette of things that I can stink at.
Martin 000 Jr
Old 01-21-2022, 09:27 AM

Default Something big is coming from Martin

The ONLY cutaway I’m a fan of is a Florentine. The sloping downward towards the lower bout cutaways look unfinished to me and the real shallow ones that Taylor and others have used are weird too. I don’t understand that crazy sound hole that Bourgeois put on that one, either! Maybe it projects the sound differently, but I can’t get past the looks! It’s the same as arm bevels. I LOVE them on every body style EXCEPT a dread. They don’t fit that body style, in my opinion.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-21-2022, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

We’re good Awfulguitarnois, glad it will work so well for you. 🍻
Old 01-21-2022, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post

We're working on adding a comparison page to our website today. The differences are basically B&S, tuners, electronics, fingerboard inlays & headstock logo... more or less.
I'm a big fan of the SC-13e, even though it comes with the worst, cheapest, name brand PU that any guitar maker can use. With an upgrade to a more reasonable PU it's a great stage guitar, and a serious move by Martin into the new century.

These new SC models don't seem, to me, to advance or expand the line at all. All they do is eat into the same customers who would buy an SC-13. The Element is a better PU than the Mx-T, but not by much. So now the SC line has two of the lowest rated name brand pickups. I had hopes for something better.

Different laminate veneers and another low end PU won't do it for me. An SC-28e with a Matix would have been so nice. Or even an SC-13 with a Matrix. Oh well!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion