The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2022, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor GS Mini Bass

A Taylor GS Mini Bass in koa appeared yesterday on the local Craigslist.

I like fooling around with a bass guitar, but have never owned one. I'm mildly interested in this one just to have as something to noodle around with.

I would expect it to be a decent, well-built instrument because it says "Taylor" on the headstock. Comes with their nice gig bag. Has a pickup.

Anybody ever play one? I didn't know such a thing existed.

Talk me into it, please?

Old 01-18-2022, 07:14 AM

My husband uses one to practice and when we travel. It does quite well and sounds good (plugged in or not). It is a hoot to play. Taylor quality and comfortable. I'd say go for it.

We had a couple other acoustic basses prior to the Taylor, and the Taylor blows the others away. Again, I'd do it. How's that for talking you into it!?
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Last edited by ifret; 01-18-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:48 AM

Default Taylor GS Mini Bass

If you can get it, get it. These are fantastic and a favorite of mine and my co workers at the music store I work at. It projects way more than its size would suggest and sounds great acoustically or plugged in. This is so far the only acoustic bass I feel you can actually use acoustically and be heard. Besides using a stand up bass of course.

Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst

PRS Custom 24 S2
Old 01-18-2022, 07:54 AM

IME koa GS Minis are real little tone monsters, and this one should be no different - I'd grab it...
Old 01-18-2022, 09:15 AM

Snap it up, Ken. I love mine. It has impressive volume unplugged and superb action and feel. A critical component of this is the custom string set D'Addario developed with Taylor specifically for the GS Mini Bass.

I'm really a guitar guy just messing around, but my true bassist friends love playing my gs mini. It's a brilliant instrument to have on hand for a jam when players stop by.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
A Taylor GS Mini Bass in koa appeared yesterday on the local Craigslist.

I like fooling around with a bass guitar, but have never owned one. I'm mildly interested in this one just to have as something to noodle around with.

I would expect it to be a decent, well-built instrument because it says "Taylor" on the headstock. Comes with their nice gig bag. Has a pickup.

Anybody ever play one? I didn't know such a thing existed.

Talk me into it, please?

I played one of the GS Mini basses when they first came out a few years back. It was quite nice and had a good amplified tone.

Don't expect the GS Mini bass to be loud enough acoustically to keep up with an acoustic guitar unless you like very minimal volume. There's nothing magical about the GS Mini bass that makes it defy the laws of physics. Size matters when it comes to basses.

If you're going to plug in then it would make a worthy addition to your stable, but in that case you could just pick up something like a Kala U Bass.

The thing that makes all of the standard "acoustic bass guitars" so nice is the use of metal wrapped strings. The silicone rubber strings of a U Bass take some getting used to, although they do contribute towards a good approximation of a true upright tone if that's what you ultimately are going for.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I owned one for over a year. Pluses and minuses (IMHO):
Pluses
-Surprisingly nice acoustic bass tone given the scale length and body size.
-Good playability (though no slapping -short scale)
-Great for noodling around with bass lines and small, informal acoustic jams
-Decent amplified tone as well (except see below)
Downside
-Volume limited when played acoustically
-Satin finish very "noisy". Too much "rustling" from clothes, arms, etc. (for me) to play with amp'ed live or to record with (I tried and gave up).
-I think feedback would be a real issue if amp'ed with other loud players.
I sold mine because I have a fun/decent (upgraded)Fender Mustang bass. Otherwise I would have kept the mini for noodling and small acoustic jams.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the feedback, folks, very helpful.

I have a Boss Acoustic Singer amp that I think I should be able to run it through if needed.

I'm in touch with the seller now, trying to work out logistics. It's a bit of a drive for me.

Any additional feedback would be appreciated!
Old 01-19-2022, 05:09 PM

My only gripe is I wish the string scale was a little longer -- standard guitar length. It's probably a dumb objection. Taylor approaches a lot of projects like an engineering problem, and they seem to have thoughtfully approached the instrument. But I just kind of cringe at the "travel "aspect.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I played one of the GS Mini basses when they first came out a few years back. It was quite nice and had a good amplified tone.

Don't expect the GS Mini bass to be loud enough acoustically to keep up with an acoustic guitar unless you like very minimal volume. There's nothing magical about the GS Mini bass that makes it defy the laws of physics. Size matters when it comes to basses.

If you're going to plug in then it would make a worthy addition to your stable, but in that case you could just pick up something like a Kala U Bass.

The thing that makes all of the standard "acoustic bass guitars" so nice is the use of metal wrapped strings. The silicone rubber strings of a U Bass take some getting used to, although they do contribute towards a good approximation of a true upright tone if that's what you ultimately are going for.
I agree with this. I played both and bought a Kala: mahogany and fretless. Fretless is not an option on the Taylor and I thought the Kala did sound more like an upright. That said, nothing wrong with the Taylor.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Well, it all worked out and I am now the proud owner of a Taylor GS Mini bass!

It is a cool little thing, actually smaller than I expected. Plays really well, and the koa is pretty. A well-put together little guitar. And the Taylor semi-soft gig bag is very nice.

I noodled around on it for a couple hours last night- it is a blast to play!

(I would post a couple of pics, but my Tapatalk app is not working for some reason.)
Old 01-21-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:

It is a cool little thing, actually smaller than I expected. Plays really well, and the koa is pretty. A well-put together little guitar. And the Taylor semi-soft gig bag is very nice.

(I would post a couple of pics, but my Tapatalk app is not working for some reason.)
Great news!

You'll find that your Acoustic Singer won't amplify the low frequencies that a bass produces very well. If you want to play amplified I'll suggest a amp specifically designed to accommodate bass guitar, and preferably with a driver size of 10" or larger.

I've played bass in bands for the last 30 years and have had various bass amps in that time. My current amp is a Fender Rumble 100 which is small enough to tuck into my home studio area and lite enough to easily carry to the occasional gig. I do fill in gigs once in a while and love the Rumble 100 at 21 pounds. I can literally carry it with one finger!

The Fender Rumble amps are hugely popular with players and produce solid low end considering their price point. The smallest in the line that I would consider is the Rumble 40 and there are a ton of hobby bassists that use these, even for an occasional gig amp.

Fender Rumble 40 at Sweetwater

My Fender Rumble 100 in it's native environment:

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-21-2022 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Appreciate the info, Rudy, thanks.

I like Fender amps anyway, so I will keep the Rumble 40 at the top of my list.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:03 AM

Quote:

Good news. Enjoy!
My husband has a couple of the Fender Rumbles, one is a 40.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-26-2022, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, everyone, for the comments and feedback. I can post photos again, so here you go.

I have a new set of strings en route. Seems D'Addario and Taylor teamed up and created strings especially for this guitar, so that's what I'll use.

I'm in no hurry to buy an amp, but am keeping an eye on CL. However, a new Rumble 40 is not expensive, so I'll probably go that route.

20220120_160735.jpg20220120_160759.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion