The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-16-2022, 08:38 PM
matt1992 matt1992 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 19
Default







Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-18-2022, 08:19 PM
matt1992 matt1992 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 19
Default






In My opinion this wood choices looks soooo FINE!!! Thank you!

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-19-2022, 10:06 AM
Nemoman Nemoman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N. California
Posts: 2,790
Default

I agree about the wood choices--looking so good!
__________________
2013 Stehr Auditorium (Carpathian/Myrtle)
2015 Stehr Auditorium (Adi/BRW)
2018 Wilborn Ellie Belle (Old Stika/EIR)
2020 Baranik Meridian (Blue Spruce/Manchinga)
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-20-2022, 07:43 AM
Tim McKnight's Avatar
Tim McKnight Tim McKnight is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Morral, Ohio
Posts: 5,678
Default

I received a private PM that I thought I would share here.

"Hi Tim,
I was wondering why you added the 4 extra dark strips on the back of the ziricote guitar. Are they additional protection against cracking. I have heard that ziricote is more prone to cracking from humidity changes than other woods."


My response"
Yes, Zircote has a reputation of cracking. When we exhibited at Healdsburg in the late 90's or early 2000's there were 3 Zircote guitars which cracked DURING the show. Granted the conditions were brutally dry in that venue but I did witness it and it made quite a few of us take notice. The show promoters brought in some portable humidifiers but its was too little and too late.

Since then I have added very thin cross grain reinforcement strips (mostly to Zircote) and have yet to have any of those guitar backs crack. The black strips on this guitar are made from African Blackwood. The sides are doubled so there is no chance they will crack. Humidity doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as drying conditions. This guitar is going to be shipped to more humid conditions on the other side of the globe so that climate is better suited for Zircote than say Arizona or Africa. BTW, those additional strips don't negatively damp the back vibrations or affect the tone.

You might also notice that I am spraying sealer on the inside of the back, sides (and top). The sealer doesn't completely stop moisture exchange with surrounding conditions but it does drastically slow down that exchange. Its rapid changes that adversely effect wood movement but if wood is allowed to slowly acclimate to its surroundings then slower movement usually isn't as much of a concern and the wood is able to adapt to those slower changes more easily.
__________________
tim...
www.mcknightguitars.com
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-20-2022, 09:59 AM
jjhturbo jjhturbo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Yes, Zircote has a reputation of cracking. When we exhibited at Healdsburg in the late 90's or early 2000's there were 3 Zircote guitars which cracked DURING the show. Granted the conditions were brutally dry in that venue but I did witness it and it made quite a few of us take notice. The show promoters brought in some portable humidifiers but its was too little and too late.

Since then I have added very thin cross grain reinforcement strips (mostly to Zircote) and have yet to have any of those guitar backs crack. The black strips on this guitar are made from African Blackwood. The sides are doubled so there is no chance they will crack. Humidity doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as drying conditions. This guitar is going to be shipped to more humid conditions on the other side of the globe so that climate is better suited for Zircote than say Arizona or Africa. BTW, those additional strips don't negatively damp the back vibrations or affect the tone.

You might also notice that I am spraying sealer on the inside of the back, sides (and top). The sealer doesn't completely stop moisture exchange with surrounding conditions but it does drastically slow down that exchange. Its rapid changes that adversely effect wood movement but if wood is allowed to slowly acclimate to its surroundings then slower movement usually isn't as much of a concern and the wood is able to adapt to those slower changes more easily.

Thanks for sharing, Tim! Your wealth of knowledge and insight is tremendous. Keep up the amazing work. Best to you and Mary!
__________________
Acoustics:
Froggy Bottom, Emerald, McKnight
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-20-2022, 10:06 AM
Mary's Avatar
Mary Mary is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 9,168
Default

We welcome questions as the customers of our guitars might have the same questions but they didn't cross their mind so they wouldn't know to ask. The one thing Tim and I have learned is to never say never. We are all students. Think back in your golden school ages. I have been in many school lounges where teachers are talking about something an average grade student said. The staff often openly admits they gain a a higher education from the students. Sometimes as much or more than the students learn from the teachers.

We appreciate you being aware of the things you see us do to make our guitars what they area. We all can gain the knowledge. Just like many of us did at the California guitar show that we loved attending. The other luthiers taught us something from their own experiences. Tim still sometimes tweaks something on our spec guitars to see if he wants to begin doing something new that our custom build so customers can receive the gain.

Because of your question Matt now knows an answer he would have not thought to inquire about. Thank you!
__________________
🐟 ... make a joyful noise ...

http://www.mcknightguitars.com
http://myspace.com/mcknightguitars
http://www.youtube.com/McKnightGuitars

McJam Ohio June annual event - contact Tim or me in PM
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-28-2022, 02:05 AM
matt1992 matt1992 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 19
Default














these pictures get me excited everyday!! Thank you Mary and Tim
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-28-2022, 11:47 AM
Tim McKnight's Avatar
Tim McKnight Tim McKnight is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Morral, Ohio
Posts: 5,678
Default

Sorry for the delay. I started to cut the binding channels last week and my binding channel cutting bit was dull so I attempted to sharpen it (big mistake). In the process I ruined the router bit so I had to order a new one which arrived yesterday so we are back up to speed again. Just another example of “stuff happens”.
__________________
tim...
www.mcknightguitars.com
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-28-2022, 08:24 PM
canuck7's Avatar
canuck7 canuck7 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oak Harbor WA
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Sorry for the delay. I started to cut the binding channels last week and my binding channel cutting bit was dull so I attempted to sharpen it (big mistake). In the process I ruined the router bit so I had to order a new one which arrived yesterday so we are back up to speed again. Just another example of “stuff happens”.
I thought I was the only one who did that!!
__________________
Jeff

Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus La Canada Model 17
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-29-2022, 11:16 AM
Mary's Avatar
Mary Mary is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 9,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
I thought I was the only one who did that!!
We can probably give lessons on how not to sharpen tools shop tools. We are back in gear now. Pretty exciting to be back in the shop and hearing the sanders, vacuum and ... noise.
__________________
🐟 ... make a joyful noise ...

http://www.mcknightguitars.com
http://myspace.com/mcknightguitars
http://www.youtube.com/McKnightGuitars

McJam Ohio June annual event - contact Tim or me in PM
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-09-2022, 01:39 PM
Mary's Avatar
Mary Mary is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 9,168
Default

Commercial break:

McJam - June 24 and 25, 2022

The #15 McJam is coming this June and you can help us celebrate our 30 years as McKnight Guitars. I am now seeking donations as door prizes from any business or individual.

You can send your choice of any item(s) and your business card so we can advertise for you. No item is too big or to small. It may be new or slightly used. What can you share with us? Everyone enjoys a freebie!

I am always looking for something, which need not be musically inclined, so we can educate the McJammers and share in the information and lessons we each learn.

Contact me ([email protected]) anytime before June 15 so I know your item is on the way.
__________________
🐟 ... make a joyful noise ...

http://www.mcknightguitars.com
http://myspace.com/mcknightguitars
http://www.youtube.com/McKnightGuitars

McJam Ohio June annual event - contact Tim or me in PM
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-09-2022, 03:53 PM
Mary's Avatar
Mary Mary is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 9,168
Default

The neck is ready for attention.







Sanding for the proper fit. The neck slides back and forth manually on sand paper. Tim adds a little muscle to it.










Measuring the fit for the fretboard. Checking the fit once, twice, thrice ...














__________________
🐟 ... make a joyful noise ...

http://www.mcknightguitars.com
http://myspace.com/mcknightguitars
http://www.youtube.com/McKnightGuitars

McJam Ohio June annual event - contact Tim or me in PM
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=