The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-07-2021, 06:16 AM

Default Carbon Fiber Version of the Taylor T5Z?

Does it exist? Of course I realize that Taylor does not have a CF version for sale, but is there a similar type of model from any of the CF guitar builders?
Old 12-07-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Does it exist? Of course I realize that Taylor does not have a CF version for sale, but is there a similar type of model from any of the CF guitar builders?
First thought would be the obvious one, Emerald Kestrel...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:30 AM

The Kestrel has the more of the look and pickup configuration of a T5Z but I think the Virtuo will also get you close to that concept and might even be better on the "acoustic" side?

https://emeraldguitars.com/models/virtuo/
Old 12-17-2021, 05:18 PM

I can't comment on the Virtuo, but the Kestrel is fairly dynamic on the acoustic side of things depending on what you are trying to do. Acoustic is my preferred way of playing mine. Sometimes I will use a mic when finger style in a noisy place, but most of the time it stands alone OK.

Finger style, it's quiet and melodious with smooth tones. This is my favorite way to play the Kestrel. I love the quiet smooth notes and it makes me want to play it forever, so I often get lost in the zone until something brings me back to reality. Of course I have flat wounds on it though it came with standard rounds Emerald puts on everything (at least like my X20).

I have also played it Dixieland Jazz style once or twice, and I can compete/blend pretty well with the rest of the ensemble balance-wise when I am strumming with a pick (even with the flats). It has a cone of noise that projects well in whatever direction I am pointing and dies off outside that 90 degree or so cone in front of the face.

It's got a great middle and upper that sings, but the bass comes across as weak compared to an X20 or X30.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber