The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-01-2015, 02:47 PM

Marcus,

I think so many of us have become so intimately involved with you and your build through this thread that although we could never share the level of excitement you personally feel, I for one am as excited as I could be for you, almost as if it is mine. You also seem like such a mature well spoken young man with immense talent, it is easy to hope all the best for you and your guitar.

It looks to be everything you hoped and the figure of the tree is amazing. I can't wait to see more when you get it and to hear it. You must post a video of you playing your new Michaud!!!

Super congrats to you and to Joel for a beautiful build, a perfect blend of your desires and his talents!!

Tom
Old 06-01-2015, 05:28 PM

Default Memphis Build Thread - Michaud OM-R Lucky Strike/"The Tree"

Wow! That is absolutely beautiful. Each detail is just amazing. It could be in a museum. Congrats! I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years!
Old 06-02-2015, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Congrats, Marcus! Such a stunning guitar--can't wait to hear how she'll sing in your talented hands. Thanks for taking us along on the ride--Enjoy!
Thanks Nemoman! I can't wait to hear how it sounds either! Though many others will get that joy and privilege before I do at Memphis :'( hahah I shall be keeping a close watch on your build thread as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan688 View Post
Wow! That is absolutely beautiful. Each detail is just amazing. It could be in a museum. Congrats! I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years!
Thanks Brendan. Can you believe you shall be getting one yourself soon?? I can't wait to share in your happiness when you get your very own Michaud!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-02-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
You're giving me too much credit, Marcus -- but I'm glad I could help. I mostly insisted that you get the build that you truly want rather than trying to save a few bucks and regretting it in the long run. Seeing how this guitar turned out, I'm sure you'll agree that it was money well spent.

Joel built you a real showpiece. The photos are excellent -- among the best I've seen from a guitar builder.

It'd be great to hear you play "Magnolia" on your new guitar...
Yes, that is an incredibly huge part of what this build has come to and I sure as heck do not regret it one bit so far thanks again!!

I can only dream of taking photos of The Tree as well as you do... I was actually hoping to get the Lucky Tree into the hands of a fellow AGFer and friend who is a phenomenal photographer for a photoshoot, Joshua Isaacs (JJI) who is having an amazing guitar built for himself as well by Sergei. That would probably be the only thing left to make this build even more special than it already is, but currently it does not seem that it would be possible

Haha! That shall definitely be on my to do list! Though I would be ashamed to be posting a song that you would kick my *** in

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-02-2015, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Marcus,

I think so many of us have become so intimately involved with you and your build through this thread that although we could never share the level of excitement you personally feel, I for one am as excited as I could be for you, almost as if it is mine. You also seem like such a mature well spoken young man with immense talent, it is easy to hope all the best for you and your guitar.

It looks to be everything you hoped and the figure of the tree is amazing. I can't wait to see more when you get it and to hear it. You must post a video of you playing your new Michaud!!!

Super congrats to you and to Joel for a beautiful build, a perfect blend of your desires and his talents!!

Tom
Thank you Tom (and others) for sharing in this experience with me. It is my first custom build and the AGF community has been SO amazing with their kind words and enthusiasm. It has definitely played a part in this surreal experience. And wow, thanks for such encouraging words Tom!

A video or two will definitely be in the works once the Lucky Tree and I have settled down. The figure of the Tree really has been a great part of this build and I am incredibly happy with how it has turned out! I'll definitely let you know how the Lucky Tree differs from the OO-R Engelmann Koa which you have already heard to give you a glimpse of what it sounds like.

Thank you once again. I just hope that Joel has reaped something out of this build and that I am not the only one who feels like a million bucks!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-02-2015, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on this beautiful guitar Marcus. I look forward to seeing it up close in Memphis and hearing how she sounds when you post some video clips.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:06 AM

An amazing guitar for an amazing player! Marcus, the OM-R is spectacular. May you enjoy it for many, many years!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:56 AM

What a beautiful, beautiful guitar Marcus, congratulations!

Everything works so well together, it really gets the most out of the Tree back & sides... and now it'll belong to a player who'll get the most out of the tone. Can't wait to hear how it sounds

Jon
Old 06-02-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamincolor View Post
An amazing guitar for an amazing player! Marcus, the OM-R is spectacular. May you enjoy it for many, many years!
Thank you so much N! You of all people should know what a great joy it is to own and play a Michaud I am looking forward to hearing your OO-R in action, it is incredibly beautiful! Have you by any chance owned or played one of Joel's OM-R before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBarclay View Post
What a beautiful, beautiful guitar Marcus, congratulations!

Everything works so well together, it really gets the most out of the Tree back & sides... and now it'll belong to a player who'll get the most out of the tone. Can't wait to hear how it sounds

Jon
Jon, I am sure I can say the same for you!! Absolutely love how we both have a neck inlay I am a huge fan of Ziricote and your build is a prime example of how beautiful it can be. Looking forward to your Kraut in action as well! I believe I shall have my guitar in hand sometime next week Will definitely post an NGD thread the moment I put that beauty down. I too love how everything ties in together to compliment the Tree! Wait till you see the sides, I should have more pics to post soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Congratulations on this beautiful guitar Marcus. I look forward to seeing it up close in Memphis and hearing how she sounds when you post some video clips.
Thank you Doug. Hopefully Joel let's you play it yourself! Just make sure you ain't wearing anything scratch worthy I shall let him know your AGF username. It would help if you could drop me an e-mail with your details for me to pass on to Joel so that he can let you play it

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-02-2015, 07:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

For me, going up to Memphis to see Joel Michaud's guitars- and also those of so many other luthiers who I admire and aspire to emulate- is something akin to a spiritual pilgrimage. I seek enlightenment and grace from those who have lit the way, and I know from many past shows that I will come home with boundless new supplies of inspiration and eagerness to start the next project.

I have to say, meeting Joel and seeing his guitars is going to be a unique and singular pleasure in this luthier's life!
Old 06-02-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I don't know how many of you realize what a great player our own Marcus Wong is so I thought I would post this.
Loved it! Dang. I can't wait to watch a few more on this beauty.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
Loved it! Dang. I can't wait to watch a few more on this beauty.
Thanks James. I'm really quite excited to record with my Lucky Tree!!!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-03-2015, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
For me, going up to Memphis to see Joel Michaud's guitars- and also those of so many other luthiers who I admire and aspire to emulate- is something akin to a spiritual pilgrimage. I seek enlightenment and grace from those who have lit the way, and I know from many past shows that I will come home with boundless new supplies of inspiration and eagerness to start the next project.

I have to say, meeting Joel and seeing his guitars is going to be a unique and singular pleasure in this luthier's life!
Steve I have been passing your messages to Joel. I believe you can expect a big wet kiss from Joel at Memphis

I am so glad that my build has brought out this side of both of you. I can't wait to hear about your adventures at Joel's booth. I am sure he will have one heck of a tour at yours as well!! I have already prepared him beforehand with your thread so that he will not faint from sheer awe at your artistry. You have built real stunners for the show. I really regret not being able to make it :'(

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-03-2015, 02:35 AM

Default Some final photos!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 06-03-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
...Have you by any chance owned or played one of Joel's OM-R before?
Marcus, I haven't had the pleasure of playing one of Joel's OM models, but I must admit I'm very curious how the larger body compares to the OO. My OO is a bit of a "tweener" with the slightly larger 12-fret body. I'm looking forward to your thoughts/comparisons between the two models.

I'm glad you mentioned the scalloped nut—that was a surprise when I received my guitar. Cool!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
fanned fret, joel michaud, lucky strike, manzer wedge, the tree