The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-18-2002, 12:20 PM

Default Baggs I-beam?

Anyone have any experience with a LR Baggs I-beam pickup? I like the fact that you don't have to route out the saddle to install it. Thinking about getting one.

Charlie
Old 01-18-2002, 12:24 PM

Got one on both my 714 and my 810. Great unit, clear and natural sound, though a bit sensitive (feedback) and may thus not be the best choice for high volume situations. I play mine mostly at home through my Crate CA30D.

Bill
Old 01-18-2002, 03:52 PM

Bill:

Do you have the active or passive model?

Charlie
Old 01-18-2002, 08:34 PM
.tom the übergeek

If you play under any kind of volume, I would reconsider. Our guitarist at church has one (and we keep the volume pretty low) and he has to be very careful about where he stands or WHAAAAAAAA...off it goes.

It has a killer tone and if I was doing nothing but recording, I would be there in a moment. However, I am having the Fishman Natural Matrix II put in my 810 as we speak. No holes, just a nice saddle sanding and you are up. It has a preamp/buffer and should be really nice.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:18 PM

Baggs is introducing a new product called the Feedback Master that utilizes two very fine notch filters (much better than the notch found on their PADI) to help squelch feedback problems. This worked very well with their iBeam they demoed for me at NAMM. You still are going to be more prone to feedback with an iBeam than with an under saddle pickup but it may work well enough to use the iBeam in higher volume situations. The guitars that had iBeams in them at the Baggs booth sounded terrific. All of them were active models. The Baggs tech at the show highly recommended the active version over the passive for the best possible tone.

GL
Old 01-19-2002, 09:26 AM

Charlie -

I have the active model.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification