The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2010, 05:37 PM

Default NGD - My new (and first) Fender! - "Special Run"

A little back story - First, I consider myself more of a Gibson player, as I love just about everything to do with LPs. That being said, I always figured if I was ever going to take myself seriously as a guitar player, I needed at least one Fender. They do have their place with me, after all...

Anyway...went to a local music store nearby and as I was looking at the Fenders, I mentioned how when I think of Fender Strat tone, David Gilmour comes to mind. Apparently, this small, local chain commissioned 40 "special run" Stratocasters with Fender, and the overall goal was to turn an American Standard Strat into something close to Gilmour's tone. What resulted was this candy tangerine American Standard guitar with slightly unique wiring...

Played it for while and told them I'd sleep on it and come back the next day. So I returned today, and played it for quite a while. The guitar felt surpringly good in my hands, which I did not expect being accustomed to my LP, and of course it had that Fender sound I lacked in my repertoire. Long story short, I bought the thing and in these few hours since, have felt pretty good about.

Only 40 of these Strats were made, and the store had been sitting on their remaining inventory for over a year now (I believe only 1 or 2 are left). As a result, they came down in price considerably.

Aside from the unique color, and painted headstock, the wiring is setup differently to allow for one uncharacteric pickup combination versus factory setups. The unique setup allows for both the bridge and the neck pickup to be played with the switch in the fourth position as opposed to the bridge and the middle pickup. It wasn't the overall selling point for me, but makes it more unique all the more I suppose.

Anyway....their return policy is solid, so if for whatever reason I change my mind, I can return it up to 10 days after Xmas. Hope it continues to grow on me, but there's no doubt it's beautiful to my eyes.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:41 PM

very very pretty strat you have there my friend! by the looks alone she seems like a keeper (=
Old 12-04-2010, 05:53 PM

I really like the looks. I bet she sounds as good as she looks....
Old 12-04-2010, 06:11 PM

Here are the specs. Copied from another forum; posted by someone else who had also purchased this guitar.

-Model name: American Standard Stratocaster
-Model number: 170083
-Series: American standard series
-Color: 782 candy tangerine
-Body: Alder
-Neck Maple, Modern "C" shape
(matching candy tangerine gloss headstock face with satin urethane finish on back of neck-silver headstock logo)
-Fingerboard: maple 9.5" radius (241 mm)
-Pickups: # American strat single-coil pickups
Controls: master volume, Tone 1 (Neck pickup)
Tone 2. Delta tone
(Delta tone system includes high output bridge pickup and special no-load tone control for Middle and bridge pickups)
-Pickup switching: 5-position blade
-Bridge: 2-point synchronized tremelo with new american standard bent steel saddles.
-Machine heads: Fender deluxe staggered Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
-Hardware: chrome
-Pickguard: 4-ply aged white pearl
-Scale length: 25.5" (648 mm)
-Width at nut: 1.685" (42.8 mm)
--Unique features:
-New bent saddles with elongated string slots
-copper infused high mass 100% metal bridge stock
-thinner undercoat finish for improved body resonance
-Tinted neck
-Maple fingerboard neck: satin finish on back
-4-bolt neck attachment with micro tilt adjustment
-Bi-flex truss rod system
-parchment knobs and pickup covers
-rolled fretboard edges
-H/S/H pickup routing

I think there were some "issues" with this guitar when it was first released and made for sale. The company (not Fender, the retailer) tried touting it as a "Dark Side of the Moon" guitar, or a guitar with special "dark side of the moon wiring". I think they caught some heat as this was not authorized or officially endorsed by either Pink Floyd or David Gilmour. I think they had to cease referring to it as such, and simply sell it as a custom guitar commissioned exclusively by the retailer. Lots of confusion surrounding this guitar, but...Gilmour or not (to be honest, I could care less)..I like her.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:23 PM

Very nice Strat!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification