The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-02-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I just smile every time I pick up my wood Martin. Something about the smell, tone, look..history. Just a wayfaring stranger- time traveling with a foot in the past and one in the future. I've yet to try an Emerald so I know I should never say "never".
As much as I enjoy my carbon fiber guitars, and especially the McPherson Touring as my "go to" instrument, I still also appreciate the look and feel and sound of fine wood guitars. I have 3 wood instruments, all considered "boutique" that really are "keepers".

After I got my Touring, I really did think I would sell off my wood instruments, and even talked about it here in these forums. But there are a couple of considerations I had to think through:

1. The market for these type of instruments seems "soft", so I would probably be nearly giving them away, rather than getting a decent price. I see no need to do that.
2. My concern has been having to keep them humidified in the winter. However, it only takes a few minutes once a week to check the sponges in each case and wet them if necessary, and that has historically been enough to keep my guitars from any difficulty.
3. There is just something timeless about fine wood craftsmanship that I appreciate, and my guitars certainly have that.

So, for me, both wood and carbon fiber guitars have a place in my personal collection.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-02-2019, 07:50 PM

I'm not an "either/or kind" of a guy - more a "both/and". I really enjoy my Halcyon OM (so much that I recently put a deposit down on a Halcyon 00). After a bit of a blah start, I have also grown to really enjoy my Rainsong CH-OM, which is now my main gigging guitar (and the one that I'm reaching for during the current cold snap, when I'm having a hard time getting the humidity above the low 30's).
Old 02-02-2019, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

I have been in different camps over the years... in the 60s and 70s, I was definitely a Gibson guy (electric and acoustic). I owned a few other acoustics after that, but they were all wood. Then, an Ovation for 14 years. Then, a Taylor... which led me to appreciating different woods and body sizes. A few more Taylors. My first carbon fiber was a RainSong Shorty, because... it was very similar to the Taylor Grand Concert in shape and size. That Shorty taught me to appreciate what carbon fiber brings to the table, but my next guitar purchase was another Taylor, an all mahogany 522ce 12-fret.

It wasn't until my next guitar purchase after the 522 that I became truly hooked on carbon fiber: an Emerald X7. That small(ish) guitar showed me how important comfort and ergonomics can be, especially when combined with a sound that makes my ears (and heart and hands) happy. Another Emerald. Sold the Shorty. Then, another Emerald.

I don't see that I will be adding anymore wood guitars. I still have a few, and I appreciate them when I take them out of their cases... but, my Emeralds are out there on the wall, ready to be played, so the wood ones don't get much attention these days.

I'm with Pax238 in that it doesn't have to be carbon fiber OR wood. My preference these days is for my Emeralds, but I have room for both.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:38 AM

While there have been times when owned multiple acoustic guitars, I always tended to play just one of them most of the time and the others only episodically, even when they were all outstanding guitars. At one point I think I owned three custom Huss & Daltons, a Bourgeois, and a Beneteau - and all I usually played was one of the Huss & Daltons, a TDR with red spruce and Honduran rosewood. I'd pick one of the others up (actually, take it out of its case) for a few minutes, put it back, and grab the TDR again.

Given 1) the above observation, 2) the fact that my carbon fiber guitar is an outstanding guitar in every way, and 3) the fact that I live in cold & dry North Dakota, I now keep and play just one guitar. In fact, I don't even have an electric guitar anymore, and I don't plan to replace it. Just my preferences.

I own a guitar.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
As much as I enjoy my carbon fiber guitars, and especially the McPherson Touring as my "go to" instrument, I still also appreciate the look and feel and sound of fine wood guitars. I have 3 wood instruments, all considered "boutique" that really are "keepers".

After I got my Touring, I really did think I would sell off my wood instruments, and even talked about it here in these forums. But there are a couple of considerations I had to think through:

1. The market for these type of instruments seems "soft", so I would probably be nearly giving them away, rather than getting a decent price. I see no need to do that.
2. My concern has been having to keep them humidified in the winter. However, it only takes a few minutes once a week to check the sponges in each case and wet them if necessary, and that has historically been enough to keep my guitars from any difficulty.
3. There is just something timeless about fine wood craftsmanship that I appreciate, and my guitars certainly have that.

So, for me, both wood and carbon fiber guitars have a place in my personal collection.

Tony
I agree that both wood and carbon fiber have a place. I might get run outta here but I must admit that although I admire CF guitars I sold mine and have gone back to wood. The CF sounded too refined and a bit sterile to me. I like my old wood gits that have a little personality and character marks.

However, as I stated earlier, if I lived in a place with extreme humidity either way I would only ever own CF guitars--they have their place.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revellfa View Post
I agree that both wood and carbon fiber have a place. I might get run outta here but I must admit that although I admire CF guitars I sold mine and have gone back to wood.
OK, you're going to have to leave now. LOL I don't think anyone here would take issue with that. As I have said too many times, I enjoy both. A lot. They all have a place....my number one is still my SCGC D-12, it's not the most played by any means though.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:56 PM
Guest 928

Rev:

How fickle! But you'll be sorry. You'll go to gigs and people will laugh at you for playing such an archaic, wooden (really!) instrument. You'll be back, begging for forgiveness for your heresy. We'll try to be gracious about your return. a prodigal son returning to the carbon fiber fold.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 PM

John and Evan are both correct and I repent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber