The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 PM

Default Finish On New Guitar

Just got a new Fender® Custom Shop® Custom Deluxe Telecaster® Special today. It's a beautiful guitar that I bought from a reputable online vendor. It has an emerald green transparent nitro finish. I waited several hours after receiving the guitar to take it out of the box. I examined it closely before tuning it up, and playing it for a little while. My amp situation isn't great right now, but it sounds pretty good. My concern is that along the back side top (when the guitar is oriented vertically...) there is an imperfection to the "clear coat" finish. It's not the wood it's strictly the "transparent" finish. I can't even get a picture of it. However, when the angle of the light is just right in looks like the finish might have been applied too thickly and it gathered or dried as it was running/dripping. It is not real easy to see, but it's definitely there. I'm wondering how perfect I should expect the finish to be. I'm trying to decide if I need to send it back or whether I'm being my typical obsessive-compulsive perfectionist self. I wish that I could post a picture, but it seems to be invisible to the camera. I'm unsure what, if anything, to do about it...

Last edited by DLeeWebb; 12-01-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Default paint job

It's probably just a run. You can level sand it and buff since it is nitro. Easy fix.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark g View Post
It's probably just a run. You can level sand it and buff since it is nitro. Easy fix.
Thank you very much for the response. I spoke with the retailer today and they confirmed that level sanding would most likely fix the problem. I, however, have negative mechanical ability, and I would never approach any guitar with sandpaper or tools of any kind. I guess the question is can I find somebody that's qualified to do this or send it back...it's a cosmetic thing, it just bothers me...
Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 PM

Can you feel it, or just see it in the right light? If you can feel it it can probably be buffed out. If you can't feel it it's probably in the sealer coats, instead of the top coats. If this is the case buffing won't fix it.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
Can you feel it, or just see it in the right light? If you can feel it it can probably be buffed out. If you can't feel it it's probably in the sealer coats, instead of the top coats. If this is the case buffing won't fix it.
You can feel it ever so slightly...in the effected area it definitely has a less than perfectly smooth feel...
Old 12-03-2010, 01:08 PM

Default Go here

Go here, join this forum (or not), and read the Finishing 101 tutorial. You'll learn how to correct the "run" it seems like you have on your new Tele's nitro finish.

http://reranch.com/reranch/index

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 12-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Yes, you could probably fix it, however, if you mess it up you own it. A new instrument, especially one from the custom shop, should not have such an imperfection. If I had it, I would send it back or have a price adjustment made that would cover the fix. I had one issue like that with a new instrument I ordered and the retailer made it right. It was difficult, but I was able to get a photograph. That may be difficult with your type of imperfection. Try photographing it near a window or light source, with the highlight showing on the surface where the problem is - with perfect focus it should show up.

Blessings,
garyj

Martin D45, Breedlove NW, PRS Howard Leese, Ramirez 1a
Takamine EF77, Vicente Carrillo Gabriela, Yamaha LJ36, R Taylor S1
Yamaha AEX1500, Takamine H8SS, Yamaha FG, Martin 0-45S
Blackbird Rider, Martin 00-42K2 Robbie R, Yamaha CSF100K
Fender Custom Strat, Woolson Double Top Parlor
UKE'S - SCGC Koa, Collings UT3, Ko'olua Custom
Moore Bettah, Martin 5K, Kamaka, Blackbird

Last edited by garywj; 12-04-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 PM

I agree with Garyj...return it, have them pay for the "fix," or get a price adjustment. If you do decide to do it StewMac has some very nice rubbing compounds that do wonders and some great tutorials.

This summer I built a tube headphone amp and was fortunate to have a pro give me some tips on finishing it. Using his advice, it came out as well as any professional job. The best suggestion he gave me was to do all of my "sanding" with wet sand paper and soapy water. If the drip is not too bad then I would start with 1200 grit paper and sand it down a bit with the soapy water, if it does not work then go down to 800 grit, etc. If it is small you could probably get away without using a sanding block. Once the sanding is done then buff with the rubbing compounds, swirl remover, and wax with some carnauba wax (optional.) The only problem is that if you do it yourself then you will have to buy the supplies which will probably cost $50-$100 depending on if you can get them in small enough quantities. Hah! I think I may have just talked you out of doing it yourself. You should take it in or get the money to have it done. I am assuming you do not have any supplies, and it would be a waste to buy all of those nice rubbing compounds and then end up wasting most of them because you no longer have any use for them.

The reranch link above is broken and the closest page I could find was this

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Ditto Gary - Don't do it yourself - not while it's under warranty. Send it back, plain and simple they can probably get you another one in just a day or two. No matter how easy the job is, or looks to be, never guinea pig on a guitar while it's under warranty!

Gerald Sheppard Guitars
http://www.SheppardGuitars.com
Ph: 423-349-5582 Eastern Time USA
Old 12-04-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Sheppard View Post
Ditto Gary - Don't do it yourself - not while it's under warranty. Send it back, plain and simple they can probably get you another one in just a day or two. No matter how easy the job is, or looks to be, never guinea pig on a guitar while it's under warranty!
Best advice right there...
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification