The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-30-2023, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Ryder Cup Picks... Your thoughts?

My take.... Thomas had a bad year... He's a terrific talent, love watching him play.... He is young and has plenty of more years ahead to make the team, but not this time.... Glover played amazingly, he is getting older, he may not have a chance to contend in the future.... Keegan looked good too... I think both of these guys deserved the opportunity.... I am disappointed in Zack... but I'll get over it...
Old 08-30-2023, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Actually, I'm quite happy with the selection. I think it's the strongest team we could have put together. It's more than just playing good golf. You need the intangibles too, i.e. gelling well with the others and being respected. Having been there is huge.
Re: JT
Agree that he had a terrible year. But he's the same talented player. He just lost his confidence along the way. An event like this is potentially the right elixir to snap him out of his funk. He'll have partners to rely on too. I really believe he's one good performance away from getting his mojo back. And look out if he does. His record in these Cup games is stellar. I think he'll rise to the occasion.
Re: Glover
A great guy, and a nice comeback story this year. But it's a little late in his case. He hasn't been around, and most of this team doesn't know him that well. It's an intense pressure cooker atmosphere. It would have been the riskiest pick in my view.
Re: Keegan
He wanted it too much I think. Yeah, he won two tournaments, but he looked really nervous to me coming down the stretch at Hartford with a 5 shot lead. The wheels were coming off. Ryder Cup is a whole other level of intensity. He's very emotional, and fidgety. And older now than the rest of them. I can understand why Johnson looked past him to a better fit.

This Euro team is stacked and means business. They're playing on home soil.
I think Zach went with the players that have shown in the past they can handle that kind of pressure.
I feel good about the team. Less about their chances. But I'm confident they'll put up a good fight.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ainít what you donít know that gets you into trouble. Itís what you know for sure that just ainít so."
Ė Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-30-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
My take.... Thomas had a bad year... He's a terrific talent, love watching him play.... He is young and has plenty of more years ahead to make the team, but not this time.... Glover played amazingly, he is getting older, he may not have a chance to contend in the future.... Keegan looked good too... I think both of these guys deserved the opportunity.... I am disappointed in Zack... but I'll get over it...
Well put, db! I agree with your assessment. I think JT will do well, since he seems to at match play. Spot on about Keegan and Glover. Can't wait!
Old 08-30-2023, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
Actually, I'm quite happy with the selection. I think it's the strongest team we could have put together. It's more than just playing good golf. You need the intangibles too, i.e. gelling well with the others and being respected. Having been there is huge.
Re: JT
Agree that he had a terrible year. But he's the same talented player. He just lost his confidence along the way. An event like this is potentially the right elixir to snap him out of his funk. He'll have partners to rely on too. I really believe he's one good performance away from getting his mojo back. And look out if he does. His record in these Cup games is stellar. I think he'll rise to the occasion.
Re: Glover
A great guy, and a nice comeback story this year. But it's a little late in his case. He hasn't been around, and most of this team doesn't know him that well. It's an intense pressure cooker atmosphere. It would have been the riskiest pick in my view.
Re: Keegan
He wanted it too much I think. Yeah, he won two tournaments, but he looked really nervous to me coming down the stretch at Hartford with a 5 shot lead. The wheels were coming off. Ryder Cup is a whole other level of intensity. He's very emotional, and fidgety. And older now than the rest of them. I can understand why Johnson looked past him to a better fit.

This Euro team is stacked and means business. They're playing on home soil.
I think Zach went with the players that have shown in the past they can handle that kind of pressure.
I feel good about the team. Less about their chances. But I'm confident they'll put up a good fight.
That was well put !!
Thank you Larry, for the confirmation of my assessment...
Old 08-30-2023, 05:59 PM

I would have chosen Bradley and Glover over JT and Fowler. And, I would have picked Finau over Spieth.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Fowler has played really good golf this season. Jordan is definitely a roller coaster rideÖ.. I honestly am not sure how much I trust MorikawaÖ. I like him, but Ive seen him squander leads in the pastÖ. I might have traded JT and Morikawa or Burns for that matter for Glover and BradleyÖ. All speculation
Old 08-31-2023, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
....All speculation
So true!
I'm sure I would have been happy too with any of the names mentioned above, especially Glover and Finau. I know what you mean about Morikawa. I like him too, but he does seem very shaky holding onto a lead. I'm also a little worried about Scheffler's putting. He had a 4 putt in the last round at East Lake that had to have shaken him to the core. He seems to have a case of the 4 footer yips brewing. I hope not.
The US overall may be a better balanced team than the Euros, especially once you get into the picks. That might make a difference come Sunday.
But like you said, all speculation. And from an armchair guitar player and weekend golf warrior to boot!

- Paul Azinger

"It ainít what you donít know that gets you into trouble. Itís what you know for sure that just ainít so."
Ė Mark Twain

Old 08-31-2023, 09:23 AM

Europeans will trounce, Americans bad Kharma for being employed by the Saudi's. The Ryder Cup is one of the few sporting events I bet on, when it's played. Definitely going with the Europeans in this event. Americans seem to play poor team golf, they probably will again.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
Europeans will trounce, Americans bad Kharma for being employed by the Saudi's. The Ryder Cup is one of the few sporting events I bet on, when it's played. Definitely going with the Europeans in this event. Americans seem to play poor team golf, they probably will again.
Well I think "Trounce" might be a little optimistic.... The US team is rather tightly knit and will most likely play much better as a team than past US teams...
There is no doubt that Viktor may trounce... but who else has that "Ian Poulter" fire on the European team?
Old 08-31-2023, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm sure that Phil will be joining you in betting on the Euros. As we have come to find out, Green was always his favorite color....

- Paul Azinger

Ė Mark Twain

Old 08-31-2023, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

My $0.02 worth.
Biggest surprise to me was Burns, mostly because he has no RC experience and with Homa, Hartman and Clark (automatics) also rookies that means itís a first time for a third of the team. Burns is very good friends w/ Sheffler so maybe that was a factor. Also given how Sheffler, Shauffle, Cantlay and Morikawa performed as first timers maybe being a rookie is a plus!
Next biggest surprise was Fowler, yes basically everyone likes him and he has really put his game back together this year but he has a not so great RC record.
Koepka certainly earned it, but it seems like the LIV thing might be a risk from a team perspective
Thomas was a surprise in a way but he has a great RC record and he and Spieth play well together and Spieth being in spot 7 was a pretty sure pick. Plus Bones MacKay is Thomasís caddie, lots of RC knowledge there a real intangible in all this.
Morikawa, see above given his last time out how do you not pick him?
Itís always tough for guys on the bubble especially in Glover and Bradleyíscase where this might be there last chance butÖ
It would seem the Euros will have the edge especially being on home soil but thatís why they play the matches game on!
Old 08-31-2023, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Biggest surprise to me was Burns.....Burns is very good friends w/ Sheffler so maybe that was a factor.
It must have helped. But he's also an excellent putter. His best stats are in the short game area. Not the most accurate off the tee, but he can move it.
That might have tipped the odds in his favor. I'm sure Scheffler was happy.

I had personally never heard of Marco Simone golf club. Here is a quick read on it. Hard to tell who it favors. Wait, don't tell me. Straight and long hitters who can putt. Right?
Marco Simone golf course

- Paul Azinger

Ė Mark Twain

Old 09-01-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Well I think "Trounce" might be a little optimistic.... The US team is rather tightly knit and will most likely play much better as a team than past US teams...
There is no doubt that Viktor may trounce... but who else has that "Ian Poulter" fire on the European team?
It doesn't really matter. The Americans are bad at team golf. As I said, working for Saudi Arabia doesn't make you very popular nor successful. Enjoy your blood money.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
It doesn't really matter. The Americans are bad at team golf. As I said, working for Saudi Arabia doesn't make you very popular nor successful. Enjoy your blood money.
You know there's only one LIV golfer on the team, right?
Old 09-01-2023, 02:01 PM

Hey, folks, I have to take off my golf hat and put on my moderator hat. Can we please stay on the track of the sport as opposed to the hot button? Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic