The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-26-2023, 06:50 AM

Default Boss AD10

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Boss AD10 ? I have a K&K in my Boucher BG152 and I have started the pre-amp journey. My Songwriter had a Fishman built in Pre-amp.
Old 09-26-2023, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

I havenít tried it with a K&K, but itís a great sounding preamp. Iíve been using mine for years.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:14 AM

Looks like a lot of tone shaping ability. Being an a primarily electric guitar player I have had a few Boss pedals in my day and they are durable.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:12 AM

One personís opinion:

It does an excellent job on the core pre-amp stuff (impedance, gain, levels, eq, compression); itís easy to get a good basic tone out of it. The EQ in particular is very powerful and user-friendly. It can blend and EQ two different pickups or sources, if you need that (but no phantom power so it canít power a condenser mic by itself). The auto anti-feedback feature works well, if your pickup needs that capability. The outputs (1/4Ē, XLR) are highly configurable so you can set them up for just about any situation.

The FX section is fine if you just need a simple barely-noticeable reverb or a light slapback delay, but if you are the kind of person that really enjoys tweaking effects you will likely be unsatisfied (in which case you can use the FX loop to patch in your favorite outboard effects).

You can leave the unit in WYSIWYG mode and itís pretty simple to operate. You can also set up to ten presets, which require navigating a UI modeled after a 1973 HP calculator (meaning, not good). The tuner is functional but again the UI is not great so you may prefer to use the onboard tuner just as a mute and then use a clip-on tuner.

It has an ďacoustic resonanceĒ feature which is supposed to help smooth the tone of undersaddle pickups. I hate the sound of undersaddle pickups so much that only removing them entirely and replacing them with better pickups has helped for me ó so I guess that means I didnít think the acoustic resonance feature accomplished its goal. Others are less allergic to the sound of piezo quack than me so may find this feature more useful.

Iím not into looping, but if I was, I would probably care that the looper is only 30 seconds, which seems not very useful.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:54 AM

My experience with Boss AD10 came after the Trex unit, and both are now sold. At the beginning, the AD10 seemed absolutely practical with all of its features, and I didnt find the UI difficult to use, it's quite practical in the end (to me, but yes I did use HP pocket calculators). At a first glance, chorus is quite usable, reverb is quite usable, compression does work, EQ the same. Feedback is ok, tuner so-and-so etc.
The problem were not the features, not the UI. The problem was the sound.
When I was plugging into the PA or into a Fishman amp (to test as well), something was not OK. Musicians were saying the sound was not good, plain and simple. Despite my attempts, several attempts, and I did my best to like it, when I finally brought my acoustic pedalboard made with standalone pedals, sound was back and shining, and people telling me "Now it's great".

My acoustic boards have polytune3, Baggs EQ, Boss CP1x or Empress or Stella IQ compressors, Eventide H9 , Neunaber, Strymon.. all kind of expensive stuff. The difference with Boss AD 10 is huge. Even without expensive stuff, using cheap standalone pedals like Digitech, it is huge.
I guess that's because the AD10 has a single DSP inside, and it's doing everything all at once, running also on batteries. The price you pay is the quality.
So I sold it, sadly.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:51 AM

Thanks for your comments Joe M.

Yes the sound is of most importance! You have some nice stand alone pedals. I would do the same with my own effects pedals that I use for my electrics.
Can I ask what you are using for a Preamp?
Old 09-27-2023, 10:25 AM

Hi Joe, itís interesting you didnít get a good sound with the AD10. I always think it sounds great, itís the UI that bothers me. You did mention running on batteries, thatís something Iíve not done before, wondering if the DSP gets starved or the preamps get run on lower voltage when it doesnít have wired power? Something to try out when I remember to think about it.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Boss AD10 ? I have a K&K in my Boucher BG152 and I have started the pre-amp journey. My Songwriter had a Fishman built in Pre-amp.
Hi BB
The entire line of Boss AD-preamps have been solid performers, easy to setup and use. They sound fine, and provide a lot of options to 'play' with. Plus its output features are manyÖXLRÖľ" (mono or stereo) etc. plus 2 inputs.

They are not small, and my old AD-5 was not particularly durable. I accidentally walked an inch too far during a gig with one, pulling it onto the carpeted floor from a height of around 3 feet and it trashed the circuit board ($100 part to replace it 15 years ago). It was worth fixing.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

ÖJust because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced themÖ
Old 09-27-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
Thanks for your comments Joe M.

Yes the sound is of most importance! You have some nice stand alone pedals. I would do the same with my own effects pedals that I use for my electrics.
Can I ask what you are using for a Preamp?
I don't use a preamp, because I don't use passive pickup systems. Preamp is already in the guitar (Fishman in the Guild and Martin, LR Baggs in Taylor).

And I only once used a DI, usually there is no need. But once I made use of my Stereo RADIAL DI finally, it costed me a kidney.

p.s.
The LR Baggs Anthem is in fact a bit low on signal, compared to Fishmans. But only a few dbs.. In case, I engage the 6 db gain in the Baggs EQ pedal, it's there for the purpose. But I don't like that preamp at all, I keep the EQ for the notch and low pass, and volume. The gain is awful.

Last edited by Joe.Manganese; 09-27-2023 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
Hi Joe, it’s interesting you didn’t get a good sound with the AD10. I always think it sounds great, it’s the UI that bothers me. You did mention running on batteries, that’s something I’ve not done before, wondering if the DSP gets starved or the preamps get run on lower voltage when it doesn’t have wired power? Something to try out when I remember to think about it.
Never used it on batteries, always plugged power in. On batteries it does not make any difference though, the sound is identical.
I tried through Allen Heath, Yamaha, Behringer and something else mixers, through several speakers. Also the T REX Acoustic Soulmate was so and so. It all depends on what you compare to.
The sound through high quality pedals is just another thing. I thought about keeping the AD10 as a spare, but I made mini pedaltrain with 4 pedals on, and it is just better.

BTW this is my handy acoustic pedalboard, the one without presets , not the big one.

https://ibb.co/RYt0Xtf

https://ibb.co/RYt0Xtf

It is a dual stereo . Guitar out stereo , and synth out stereo (4 wires to mixer). Guitar out from Neunaber, Synth out from H9. I recently changed Mel9 with String9 from EHX. The sound is sent to H9 with a custom reverb cutting dry signal for ethereal effect. very nice... like pads and strings in my Roland Gr55.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Manganese View Post
My experience with Boss AD10 came after the Trex unit, and both are now sold. At the beginning, the AD10 seemed absolutely practical with all of its features, and I didnt find the UI difficult to use, it's quite practical in the end (to me, but yes I did use HP pocket calculators). At a first glance, chorus is quite usable, reverb is quite usable, compression does work, EQ the same. Feedback is ok, tuner so-and-so etc.
The problem were not the features, not the UI. The problem was the sound.
When I was plugging into the PA or into a Fishman amp (to test as well), something was not OK. Musicians were saying the sound was not good, plain and simple. Despite my attempts, several attempts, and I did my best to like it, when I finally brought my acoustic pedalboard made with standalone pedals, sound was back and shining, and people telling me "Now it's great".

My acoustic boards have polytune3, Baggs EQ, Boss CP1x or Empress or Stella IQ compressors, Eventide H9 , Neunaber, Strymon.. all kind of expensive stuff. The difference with Boss AD 10 is huge. Even without expensive stuff, using cheap standalone pedals like Digitech, it is huge.
I guess that's because the AD10 has a single DSP inside, and it's doing everything all at once, running also on batteries. The price you pay is the quality.
So I sold it, sadly.
The only time the AD10 sounds bad for me is when the antifeedback circuit is used. I have the knob taped in place using gaffer tape so it cannot be accidentally moved. A friend who is a real sound nut found that the AD10 was among the best sounding units he tested with I think the Alex being first.
Old 09-27-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
The only time the AD10 sounds bad for me is when the antifeedback circuit is used. I have the knob taped in place using gaffer tape so it cannot be accidentally moved. A friend who is a real sound nut found that the AD10 was among the best sounding units he tested with I think the Alex being first.
Maybe your friend should try with professional equipment..
You always get what you pay for, and these multipurpose cheap units are no exceptions.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:36 AM

I have an AD10. Great unit but doesnít jive well with K&K pickups due to the input impedance, the way I work around it with mine is to have the K&K Pure Mini pre in line prior to the AD10. A bit of a clumsy way to do it but sounds good. AD10 is excellent with all other mag or piezo pickups Iíve tried.

Itís not super high end like Grace or SunnAudio preamps but is very full featured and does its job well. Have toured with mine for six years and have no complaints. Iím not using a board at the moment (just plugging my Takamines straight into my AER Compact 60) but Iíll be keeping the AD10 for when I want to go down that route again.
Ď97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
Ď01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
Ď19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
Ď20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:28 PM

Currently shifting between set-ups and now toying around with a Zoom AC-3, but there's no way to defeat the modeling section, so it makes it impossible to get a natural sound.
GOOD sounds, yes, natural, not so much.

How does the Boss AD-10 color the sound ?
Boss AD-10 (on trial)
Old 11-18-2023, 12:51 AM

If you run everything flat and turn off all the Fx, no coloration at all. The signal processing is 100% digital so itís like listening to a CD through a high end sound system. The manual doesnít give an AD/DA spec but it sounds flat and pristine to me, so Iím assuming itís 24bit/96khz internally if not better.

Now, you still have to get the levels and gain structure right all the way through your signal chain. If you donít, youíll get some combination of noise and / or that shrill ďgain too highĒ sound. Just like every other preamp. But if you set the gain structure appropriately, it should be whisper quiet and flat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification