The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-20-2023, 09:38 PM
Daugela Daugela is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 109
Default Need input on the body of two guitars

McPherson Touring and Journey OF660

Iím looking for a small body guitar due to a bad shoulder injury. I tried to McPherson last week and loved it and felt it was very comfortable. However, I was slightly disappointed that the scale was as short as it was. I was then referred to the OF660 because of the larger scale length.

The specs indicate the body is larger than a McPherson touring. However, with all the curvature and such Iím curious how it feels compared to the McPherson. I need something that will bring my shoulder in closer to my body.

Can anyone give some input on body feel? Does a McPherson sit tighter and closer to the body? My primary concern is a smaller body because of my right shoulder injury. I suppose with the McPherson was the best fitting guitar I would except the fact that itís 22.75 scale length and learn to use it. But would rather have a 24 inch or larger scale with roughly the same size body.

Iíve watched a bunch of comparison videos, but no one really goes into depth about the body and how it fits. Every guy just wants to show off his skills lol thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-21-2023, 06:44 AM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona (from island boy to desert dweller)
Posts: 6,933
Default

I don't own, but have played both the OF660 and the Touring. I found the Touring to be more comfortable. Another suggestion: look around the used market to see if you can find a previous generation Emerald X7. It is a thinner, smaller body than the current X7, and is still the most comfortable acoustic guitar I've played. It has a 24" scale and is small enough that I can sit in an easy chair with it. There is very little arm extension for the right arm to get around the body.

Earl, who posts here, had two of that generation X7 - not sure if he sold one, but I recall him mentioning he was considering it. Besides the feel of it, I like the tone of that gen X7 better than the OF660 or the Touring. It has the offset soundhole facing forward as opposed to the current gen X7 that has the soundhole facing out and up... I prefer the current soundhole placement, but the body of the newest gen X7 is thicker... just thinking of comfort in this circumstance.

Good luck with the search.
__________________
Some CF, some wood.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2023, 07:14 AM
Earl49 Earl49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Idaho
Posts: 10,710
Default

I played a Touring recently, when a new local friend brought her older Touring and new Kestrel over for show and tell. She tried our ďextraĒ bubinga veneer X7 V2 (V2 = the older one that is more petite and has the forward facing sound hole) but Kimberly still liked her Touring better. V3 current generation X7 is not much smaller than the X20 overall but keeps the 24Ē scale length. I have no experience with those.

We also have an ďextraĒ CA Cargo, and I like the 24Ē scale of the Emerald X7 better than the 22.75Ē scale of the Cargo, even though Cargo sounds really nice - nicer than such a small guitar should. My only OF660 experience was at Kramsterís house six years ago when we had a Phoenix carbon fest. I donít recall much, but wasnít looking for a travel guitar then. We were focused on other things that day. OF660 has a wedge and X7 has ergonomic bevels, FWIW. To judge comfort youíd almost need to play them side by side. Perhaps if Kramster sees this thread he can comment. He might even still have the guitars mentioned.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2023, 07:22 AM
Daugela Daugela is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I played a Touring recently, when a new local friend brought her older Touring and new Kestrel over for show and tell. She tried our ďextraĒ bubinga veneer X7 V2 (V2 = the older one that is more petite and has the forward facing sound hole) but Kimberly still liked her Touring better. V3 current generation X7 is not much smaller than the X20 overall but keeps the 24Ē scale length. I have no experience with those.

We also have an ďextraĒ CA Cargo, and I like the 24Ē scale of the Emerald X7 better than the 22.75Ē scale of the Cargo, even though Cargo sounds really nice - nicer than such a small guitar should. My only OF660 experience was at Kramsterís house six years ago when we had a Phoenix carbon fest. I donít recall much, but wasnít looking for a travel guitar then. We were focused on other things that day. OF660 has a wedge and X7 has ergonomic bevels, FWIW. To judge comfort youíd almost need to play them side by side. Perhaps if Kramster sees this thread he can comment. He might even still have the guitars mentioned.
Interesting! I live in Phoenix. Is this where Kramster still lives?? If so, can you set up a meet or at least refer him to me on here so we can talk? Not sure how to PM someone without their ACF handle?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-2023, 07:35 AM
Earl49 Earl49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Idaho
Posts: 10,710
Default

Just send a PM directly to Kramster while logged in. If you are on one of his posts, just click on his handle. If you are in the PM screen, just type in Kramster as the addressee. I sent yo a PM already with my contact info.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-22-2023, 10:21 AM
KevinH's Avatar
KevinH KevinH is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 3,191
Default

I've never played a Touring, but I have an OF660, and have played an X-7. Of course it's hard for anyone but you to say what body shape/size comfortable. FWIW here is how the X-7, Touring and OF660 sizes compare:

3.jpg

I aligned the low point of the waist of each guitar because that's about where it would sit on your knee, assuming you play seated. The blue line at the top is at the Touring's nut. You can see the X-7 would have roughly the same left-arm reach out to the nut. The OF660 is a little over an inch further away.

So as far as the reach goes, the X7 and Touring would likely be about the same, even though the X7 has a larger scale length (24"). One thing that has been mentioned (see RaySach's posts) about the X7 is that the saddle sits pretty far back, which can make palm muting harder - if that would be an issue for you.

I don't like a long reach to the nut either (though I don't have a severe shoulder injury). I find the Journey to be comfortable, maybe a wee bit neck heavy.

Here's how the body sizes of the three compare:

3c.jpg

One thing the Journey has going for it is a Manzer wedge:

j.jpg

which helps bring the body in closer to you. And it makes a fine travel guitar to boot.

Good luck with the hunt.

Last edited by KevinH; 10-14-2023 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-22-2023, 03:03 PM
Daugela Daugela is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I've never played a Touring, but I have an OF660, and have played an X-7. Of course it's hard for anyone but you to say what body shape/size comfortable. FWIW here is how the X-7, Touring and OF660 sizes compare:

Attachment 98047

I aligned the low point of the waist of each guitar because that's about where it would sit on your knee, assuming you play seated. The blue line at the top is at the Touring's nut. You can see the X-7 would have roughly the same left-arm reach out to the nut. The OF660 is a little over an inch further away.

So as far as the reach goes, the X7 and Touring would likely be about the same, even though the X7 has a larger scale length (24"). One thing that has been mentioned (see RaySach's posts) about the X7 is that the saddle sits pretty far back, which can make palm muting harder - if that would be an issue for you.

I don't like a long reach to the nut either (though I don't have a severe shoulder injury). I find the Journey to be comfortable, maybe a wee bit neck heavy. One thing the Journey has going for it is a Manzer wedge:

Attachment 98048

which helps bring the body in closer to you. And it makes a fine travel guitar to boot.

Good luck with the hunt.
I cannot, thank you enough. This is exactly what I was looking for with regards to know anymore on how this guitar may potentially feel. I suppose the other thing I could do is buy it off of Amazon, and if I donít like it, send it back!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-23-2023, 08:42 AM
KevinH's Avatar
KevinH KevinH is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 3,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daugela View Post
I cannot, thank you enough. This is exactly what I was looking for with regards to know anymore on how this guitar may potentially feel. I suppose the other thing I could do is buy it off of Amazon, and if I donít like it, send it back!
That's what I did when I bought my OF660. I sent it back for a different one. The SBT pickup locations were off by about an inch.

I think Journey also has a generous return policy if you order directly from them. You'd also have more colors available.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-23-2023, 08:48 AM
Daugela Daugela is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
That's what I did when I bought my OF660. I sent it back for a different one. The SBT pickup locations were off by about an inch.

I think Journey also has a generous return policy if you order directly from them. You'd also have more colors available.
I purchased one last night on Amazon. It arrives Monday. Iíll check it out and if I donít like it Iíll return it. No hassle return policy so Iím good to go. I think itís gonna be between this one and the McPherson and an older X7. Being a beginner and playing for about a year on a 24.875Ē, donít know if the 22.5Ē would be easy or hard to transition to.

The difficult thing is finding an X7 to feel.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-24-2023, 09:21 AM
KevinH's Avatar
KevinH KevinH is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 3,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daugela View Post
I purchased one last night on Amazon. It arrives Monday. Iíll check it out and if I donít like it Iíll return it. No hassle return policy so Iím good to go. I think itís gonna be between this one and the McPherson and an older X7. Being a beginner and playing for about a year on a 24.875Ē, donít know if the 22.5Ē would be easy or hard to transition to.

The difficult thing is finding an X7 to feel.
Cool. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Re trying an X7, have you looked in the two carbon fiber sharing threads - that many wish the mods would pin for reference?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-26-2023, 09:07 PM
Daugela Daugela is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 109
Default

For those interested I settled on an McPherson Touring. The Journey OF660 came yesterday, and I played with it all day. While the body of the guitar was extremely comfortable and really what I was looking for, I didnít care for the feel of the neck. I understand itís a D shape and have really grown accustomed to the Taylor neck, which, in my opinion, the McPherson feels very similar.

Overall, I was impressed with Journey considering it breaks down, but in reality, I donít plan on traveling with it. I simply looked at it due to the specs. I think in a perfect world if this McPherson had a 24.75 scale Iíd be in heaven but Iím gonna have to get used to the 22.75.

As most of you know the Macpherson comes with medium 13s. Has anyone tried 12s? Due to the short scale would 12 be problematic? I know thereís several threads on this topic but I donít think anyone truly answered whether or not theyíre using 12s or lighter on such a short scale.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-26-2023, 10:35 PM
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: my father's attic
Posts: 5,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daugela View Post
For those interested I settled on an McPherson Touring. The Journey OF660 came yesterday, and I played with it all day. While the body of the guitar was extremely comfortable and really what I was looking for, I didn’t care for the feel of the neck. I understand it’s a D shape and have really grown accustomed to the Taylor neck, which, in my opinion, the McPherson feels very similar.

Overall, I was impressed with Journey considering it breaks down, but in reality, I don’t plan on traveling with it. I simply looked at it due to the specs. I think in a perfect world if this McPherson had a 24.75 scale I’d be in heaven but I’m gonna have to get used to the 22.75.

I own the 2nd generation OF660 and have played the newer version (not the Kevin Michael version) of the Touring in a local shop more than a few times. GREAT guitar. You are spot on about the necks. I swore up and down that I was sold on a 1.75" nut for fingerstyle, but when I bought a Taylor Academy last year it changed my mind. No wonder people like Taylor necks so much, and I swear the Touring and Sable were designed with the Taylor feel in mind. Not to mention the feel of that composite satin. I think the McPherson necks may be the best necks I've ever hand in my hands period. I like the scale of the OF660 better though.
__________________
Don't chase tone. Make tone.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-27-2023, 01:49 PM
Barb1 Barb1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 409
Default

Daugela,
I use 12s on my McPherson Touring. I have no problems with them.
Barb
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-27-2023, 05:35 PM
Daugela Daugela is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Daugela,
I use 12s on my McPherson Touring. I have no problems with them.
Barb
Any problems with drop D tuning? Too floppy?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-28-2023, 10:19 AM
Emile640 Emile640 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ocean State
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daugela View Post
Any problems with drop D tuning? Too floppy?
That is the main reason I'm not opting for a touring. The shortened scale already makes the strings much more pliant and from what I've read, drop tunings don't work well on them. You could always up tune. In the 19th c, guitars with that short of a stringlength would be tuned to G instead of E.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=