The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-10-2014, 03:40 PM

Default 1966 Super Reverb!!

Well it finally happened. I offered a trade on CL for my Dr Z for a blackface Super Reverb. After only 2 days, someone made an offer. He came by the house, I disassembled the amp, checked everything out, and played, played, played. He loved the Z, and I loved the Super.

So...here she is. A real 1966 Fender Super Reverb! I can't tell you enough how excited I am to have this amp. As long as I have been playing amplified music I have lusted after one of these. I ordered a set of Jensen P10r's, I am shopping tubes (vintage 6l6, 12ax7), and last night I resoldered the power section (that some "tech" did a sloppy job of).

As much I as enjoyed "boutique" world, I still could not cure my GAS for that vintage Fender tone. Oh and 4x10? That configuration works perfectly with the Martin and the SG. No amp switching for me!

1966 Fender Super Reverb
VVT Nighthawk

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." - Jerry Garcia
Old 11-10-2014, 04:23 PM

You won on that deal.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:52 PM

Passed one up in comparable shape @ $395 in the mid-80's, had to settle for a near-mint RI a few years ago - all the amp most people will ever need...
Old 11-10-2014, 07:52 PM

I got a 66 Deluxe Reverb a few months ago. People are paying a lot of money for blackface Fenders these days, and in my humble opinion they're worth every penny. I've probably owned 20 or 25 amps, including one of the modern '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissues, and none of them have come close to this one.

Congratulations- a Super Reverb is a "desert island" amp, one of the best that Fender ever made.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 11-10-2014, 08:19 PM

Congratulations on getting this amp. A friend has one and it has a sound of it's own. I imagine is on your face now.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Sweet! Ya done good.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:37 PM

Great amp!! Congratulations, make lots of sweet notes!
Old 11-10-2014, 11:12 PM

CONGRATS!

I gigged with a '66 Super Reverb for many years and it was the best sounding amp I've ever played through.

I finally sold it when my old back couldn't take hauling it to gigs. I reinstated my '72 Deluxe Reverb in it's place. Great amp, but nothing can beat a '66 Super Reverb for TONE!
Old 11-11-2014, 06:10 AM

Dalek, congrats on your '66 Super Reverb! Exciting to have some great vintage gear that you can play and make music with. When do you expect to have the speakers and vintage tubes and everything in the amp?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:15 AM

That's a GREAT amp!

Have fun!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:30 AM

Congrats! '64-'67 are my absolute favourite years for Fender amps. That looks like a keeper for sure. I'm still haunted by the '66 Bassman that I played a few years back - I wasn't in a position to buy it at the time but man was it sweet.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Dalek, congrats on your '66 Super Reverb! Exciting to have some great vintage gear that you can play and make music with. When do you expect to have the speakers and vintage tubes and everything in the amp?
Speakers are coming in before the week is out, tubes probably Saturday (I won two Nos 6l6's last night). I'm still trying to find an old GZ34 at a decent price so I can bias it correctly. Thus far 16 resistors (Radio Shack metal film crap) have been replaced with carbon comp leaving 17 more to go.

I liked it before, quite a lot. I'm betting I will love this thing when I'm done.
1966 Fender Super Reverb
VVT Nighthawk

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." - Jerry Garcia
Old 11-11-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post

Congratulations- a Super Reverb is a "desert island" amp, one of the best that Fender ever made.
Why you need that big amp if you're by yourself?

A blackface, or frankly silverface (same circuit) Champ is all you need on a Desert Island.

But depending on your needs, a Super, Twin, Deluxe, Bandmaster, Bassman, or Showman are the high point of "low gain", and I hate that term, amp design.

Everyone should have a blackface Fender. I still have my Showman in storage, but my champ gets almost daily use.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Great score! The handwired Fenders are the best. I have a 76 Vibrosonic Reverb and it rocks! -- Darwin
Old 11-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Very cool. On of my bandmates in the '70s had a Super and I had the Gibson Equivalent, a '66 GA55RVT Ranger (called the "Kalamazoo Super"). That's me on the left with his Super behind me and the Gibson to the left. We've got a pair of near-matching LPs as well.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars