The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM

Default 2 Distortion Pedals in Tandem

Has anyone tried using 2 distortion pedals in tandem on your pedal board? If so, I would be interested in what you found. Positives, negatives, tips etc. And was it something that became a permanent part of your setup?

Thanks.

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Default 2 Distortion Pedals in Tandem

I don't know if this counts, and I am really very new at the electric side of things and using effects, but I put a Boss Overdrive in front of a Tube Screamer and primarily use the Screamer as a boost. It can be crunchy on its own, but I hit it when playing rhythm and want to jump into a solo. Yes I can use the volume on my guitar or a volume pedal, but I set the TS with a particular level of volume and some additional overdrive so that it really helps my guitar get to a good soloing sound. I find it much easier than the other options to simply hit the pedal and hit it again when I'm done and want to play rhythm again.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM

I use a Visual Sound Double Trouble ( 2 tube screamers ) and a Boss Blues Driver. All 3 on at the same time makes the tubes in my Bassman go ape****, in a ggood way.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade View Post
I use a Visual Sound Double Trouble ( 2 tube screamers ) and a Boss Blues Driver. All 3 on at the same time makes the tubes in my Bassman go ape****, in a ggood way.
OD is way different than Distortion. Stacking OD pedals=great if done right. Stacking 2 Distortion pedals=MUD!!! (IMHO)
Old 05-02-2013, 03:58 PM

I use a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 before an HAO Rust Driver. For Stones type crunch, I use the FD2. For Steely Dan style solos, I might use the HAO. For Hendrix type solos, I engage them both and hold on tight.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 PM

I have a VS Open Road set up with just a slight bit of crunch.
It's very transparent as is the Wampler Euphoria behind it. They overlap a bit
but the Wampler has a lot more versatility on tap.
I use my old standby FD2 when I want that mid-boosted Tube Screamer tone.
I am extremely pleased with this combo.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 PM

I've fed a Bluesbreaker clone into a Big Muff before with some fun results. The first acted as a volume boost for the second, plus some really interesting tone when I play with enough attack to push the Bluesbreaker into overdrive. FET preamp pedals into distortion and OD pedals are fun, too.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 PM

I use a Bearfoot Honey Bee OD and an old Ibanez Tube King. Pure bliss!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:34 AM

I've tried 2 OD pedals in tandem and also 1 distortion and 1 OD pedal in tandem but not 2 distortion pedals. I've only tried it a couple of times because I felt I didn't need it for my stuff. The 2nd OD for a boost during solos.

Positive is that you can get a little more gain and volume boost using the 2nd OD. Negatives are that you can get a little too saturated if you don't watch your levels.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was known for using 2 tube screamers in tandem.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've tried 2 OD pedals in tandem and also 1 distortion and 1 OD pedal in tandem but not 2 distortion pedals. I've only tried it a couple of times because I felt I didn't need it for my stuff. The 2nd OD for a boost during solos.

Positive is that you can get a little more gain and volume boost using the 2nd OD. Negatives are that you can get a little too saturated if you don't watch your levels.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was known for using 2 tube screamers in tandem.

Yes, SRV dd like to stack two TS's, but I think stacking two of the same OD is quite a bit different then two different pedals. The 2 of the same scenario is like a high gain version of one alone. 2 different pedals IMO just obscures the individual sound. I stack one of my OD's ALOT with my Durham Sex Drive which is really a boost with a bit of "attitude". SRV's stacked TS's were both set pretty low gain wise to preserve headroom in each circuit. Thus the clear crisp nature of his OD sound.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 PM

I have been trying this out this week ... to my ears and ways of playing, I think stacking the Distortion with OD produces better results than stacking two Distortions (of the same kind) ... (time to give my son his distortion unit back) ...

(also, I did not like stacking 2 OD's ... and I found that some OD's stack better with Distortion than others ... and it takes some tweaking, but I did get some pretty good sounds running Distortion into one of the OD's ... I wouldn't use it often anyway ... I am far more of a clean tone guy at heart)

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM

I think a lot of times when people say distortion, they're really talking about overdrive. Stacking distortions can be a bit muddy sounding, but stacking overdrives can be wonderful. I actually have 5 overdrives on my board and will use different combinations to get unique tones.

There are a couple of general schools of thought. I personally like to start with lower gain OD's and gradually move to higher gain. Another great guitarist I play with does it exactly the opposite - he goes highest gain to lowest.

One thing to keep in mind is the higher the gain, the more compression you get. So if you want to use a clean boost or light overdrive as a solo boost, it's best to put this one after all of your overdrives. If you put it before, instead of getting a boost, you get a more compressed, more intense overdrive sound, but not exactly a boost.

One of the main things is to find pedals that play nicely together.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars