The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-06-2013, 08:53 AM

Default 24.75" scale conversion

maybe a bit late now but just ordered a warmoth neck strat style in 24.75" scale for walnut jaguar style guitar I am building. So far I have hand hewn the body from one piece of american walnut, fitted a cheap maple strat neck with tuners and bridge, fitted strings to listen to it by placing my ear on the body. It has nice resonance. I have bought the electrics, oak grigsby 3 way switch, 500k linear tone pot and 500k audio volume pot. I have the neck pick up, a creamery wide O humbucker sized P90 voiced nickel pick up. I have the bridge to get. The body is made for a 25.5" scale strat neck but I saw warmoth selling a neck conversion to 24.75" and thought I would go for it. Anyone have any experience of this conversion.
Custom Walnut Jaguar ( under construction )
Gibson ES135
Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 AM

If the guitar is built for a 25.5" scale length and you put on a 24.75" neck, the bridge won't be properly situated.

What's involved in the neck conversion kit? Is it a neck shim? Sounds interesting.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 AM

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/necks/...rsionneck.aspx

info here, the neck must be made to give 24.75" from nut to bridge ( that is the original position of the bridge on a strat ) then the frets are placed accordingly. Not sure how that makes for playing, as the fret spacing will be different, but maybe not that different.
Gibson ES135
Old 04-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Les, if you bought a conversion neck you should be okay. It should end up with 24.75 from the bridge to the nut and the 12 th fret should be half of that. The conversion neck should be designed for the Fender pocket.-- Darwin

Last edited by Darwin; 04-06-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Les, if you bought a conversion neck you should be okay. It should end up with 25.75 from the bridge to the nut and the 12 th fret should be half of that. The conversion neck should be designed for the Fender pocket.-- Darwin
No I don't think thats the case, thats the point of the conversion, its 25.5" standard but the neck itself is made to be 24.75", it only comes in 22 fret and I assume that the 22nd fret will be closer to the bridge as will the 12th fret. But reading the blurb it isn't by much. Its only 3/4" different overall, spread among 22 frets isn't much. It must be 24.75" from nut the bridge, the twelfth fret will be in a slightly different place which is why they say the intonation needs setting up.
Gibson ES135
Old 04-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

...if you havent installed a bridge...(or routed a trem block for one) then it shoudln't be a problem assuming you're not planning on using a standard pick guard...
Old 04-06-2013, 03:35 PM

this is hard work, has anybody bothered to read the link I posted, title 3/4" conversion necks. It goes on to say we have been making conversion necks for years and the concept is to " change the scale of the guitar without modifying the body. It also says early mustang guitars were to be had with 22 1/2" or 24" scale necks, the same body would accept either neck without modification.
Gibson ES135
Old 04-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Sorry Les. I had a typo. I meant 24.75 instead of 25.75. I understand what you are doing and I don't think that it is a problem. I hope that you can adjust the intonation that amount. -- Darwin
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 AM

It won't be a problem, the neck is just a little shorter and the frets are correctly placed. A buddy of mine installed one of these necks on his Strat. No issues at all.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 AM

Hi all, neck arrived from Warmoth yesterday after I paid the dreaded customs charge of import tax and vat. Ouch that always hurts. Took a quick look at the neck and the pau ferro fretboard is very nice and a little different than the usual rosewood and maple. Nice slim profile maple neck that may need some bevelling of the fretboard edge and smooth the fret ends, but not the end of the world right now. Fretboard overhangs the neck as is usual but having not taken much notice at the time I got to thinking it may foul on the neck pickup, but no had another look today and its fine. slotted it into the neck pocket and measured from nut to bridge, 24.75" as it should be, I did read the nut to 12th fret is not half the scale and indeed its not, 12.25" is what it is. Just need some time to fit the machine heads and fit to the body and check the action. The neck I had been using to set up the guitar initially had to be shimmed to stop the strings touching the frets at the heel. If this is the same I will sand the heel of the neck so the action is good and it mates with all the heel touching the body cut out, but ensuring the bridge has adjustment to lower the action further.
Gibson ES135

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars