The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-30-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
Chickee, I DO appreciate the sense of humor!
But did not realize you lost your room...ouch.
Still like the picture...
Have had a lot hurricane losses over the years, but not musical instruments.
Nate
Oh Nate, don’t mind me. I’ve written enough poor humor in my lifetime to choke an elephant.

I’m sorry to hear you have experienced hurricanes too. They really blow.

frank d.

Last edited by Chickee; 10-30-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Glenn, Bob, Chickee and all...a fun bunch in this room.

Thanks, I've learned more in 24 hours than over the last 40 years regarding electrics....and have gone from zero to confused in the same amount of time. I sense a big field trip to the big famous music stores in my near future is in order.
Regarding sound...who doesn't like a humbucking les paul sound, but the strat seems more versatile, and generally don't like telecaster sounds ( I always think country music) but then while you-tubing I hear a telecaster with a humbucker and really like the sound...
Got a feeling this could be like potato chips---can't have just one!

One more budget related question:
None of my friends play electric so I don't have anyone to lean on. I've owned quite a few nice used acoustics and been very happy with the bang for the buck ratio, but what are the possible negatives or things to avoid when buying a used electric guitar (when you are not already astute enough to know what to look for)? Is it just better to buy new?

I'm not even ready to think about an amp yet, a used amp especially when I remember my youth and blowing up speakers, etc....that little Bugera V5 that I've been reading about on here, or a blues jr. sounds interesting for my needs.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome!
Nate
Old 10-30-2022, 04:35 PM

Hey Nate,
Just put up a rough idea of what your budget for a guitar “might” be and these CoolCats on here will give you every option, dollar for dollar, pound for pound, on how they would spend your money given the chance!

Its better than any catalogue!

fd
Old 10-30-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I've learned more in 24 hours than over the last 40 years regarding electrics....and have gone from zero to confused in the same amount of time. I sense a big field trip to the big famous music stores in my near future is in order...

...I've owned quite a few nice used acoustics and been very happy with the bang for the buck ratio, but what are the possible negatives or things to avoid when buying a used electric guitar (when you are not already astute enough to know what to look for)? Is it just better to buy new?

I'm not even ready to think about an amp yet, a used amp especially when I remember my youth and blowing up speakers, etc....that little Bugera V5 that I've been reading about on here, or a Blues Jr. sounds interesting for my needs...
Addressing your comments in order - and adding a few of my own:
  • There's nothing like a day or three at your friendly local guitar shop[s] to give you a better idea of what you really want/need; that said, since you've never owned/seriously played an electric guitar I'd strongly recommend following 1neeto's advice and adding a few hollowbody/semi-hollow guitars to your must-play list - I think you'll find the overall feel (and, in the case of the hollowbodies, weight) very similar to the acoustic instruments you're accustomed to, and if you install a set of wound-G 11's (12's if you can handle them and aren't going to be doing a lot of heavy bending) IME it'll permit a seamless transition when you switch off in the course of a gig...
  • Since you're experienced (and successful) with buying used acoustic guitars you've already got 90% of the game covered, as all of the same basic rules apply - just make sure that all controls (and the trem, if there is one) are smooth-operating and noise-free, and pay a bit more attention to the neck than you may be used to (many low-end makers - and big-box dealers - will set up their guitars with ultra-light strings and higher action, in order to save a few bucks on proper nut/fret work ). Should you decide to go the hollowbody/semi-hollow route and want a modicum of security from the get-go, $600-700 will get you a good used Godin CW II (a single-cutaway, 2-pickup [P-90's or humbuckers] hollowbody that feels virtually identical to Seagull's well-respected mini-jumbos, and at 5 lbs.+/- weighs about the same) or Korean-made Gretsch 5400 (hollowbody)-/5600 (semi-hollow)-Series Electromatic; FYI I own both and, as any of the other highly-satisfied owners here on the Electric subforum will be happy to tell you, these are all fully professional-quality instruments that just happen to sell for intermediate-player/step-up bucks - tone/QC/playability rival instruments selling for several times their (very reasonable) price, you'll never be undergunned when you take one out on a gig, and if you're not the kind of player who's inclined to amass a large collection one of these may be the only electric you'll ever need...
  • The V5 and BJ are two excellent choices for a first tube combo, but IME very different animals in practice (what you said about getting out there and auditioning gear first-hand), and at such time as you get really serious about electric guitar (if in fact you do) you'll need an amp in each category. If you're a fan of postwar amp tone - midrangey and slightly dark - the V5 is a modern version of the classic single power-tube circuit popularized by the early low-end tweed Fenders (and their US/UK competitors); while it'll deliver some wonderful tones with single-coil (Strat/Tele, Gibson P-90, etc.) and mini-humbuckers (Gibson Firebird/Johnny Smith/LP Deluxe, Epiphone Riviera/Crestwood, Gretsch Filter'Tron, Guild LB-1, etc.) - I played coffeehouse/small-venue gigs with mine (BTW it'll stand up to a tasteful drummer) - it can get kinda muddy with full-size humbuckers. On the other hand the Blues Junior is a full-fledged small-gig amp, with additional headroom for cleaner styles and a brighter tonality than the V5; again recalling your hands-on suggestion, before you decide to spring for an amp in this power range I'd recommend auditioning a Bugera V22 - the V5's big brother, my go-to gigging amp for the last dozen years (it'll handle a 600-700 seat house clean as you need or dirty as you want, and still power down for home practice without losing tone), and at $499 street not only one-third less than the Fender but more feature-laden and tonally versatile...
  • Finally, know up front that at least 50% (and IME more) of your final tone comes from your amplifier: you need to consider it an instrument in its own right and, at this stage in your journey, I'd recommend auditioning/buying both as a dedicated pair - even if it means waiting and saving up for a while to get what really suits your needs; take the time, listen to what's out there, ask the questions (we're always glad to help here on the Electric subforum ), and when you're ready you'll be in a position to make a wise purchase - the first time...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 10-31-2022 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Many thanks, so much answered here.
Another reason to love the AGF!
Steve (and all actually) thank you so much for sharing your experience and wisdom.

It's definitely time for a field trip (or 3)...a new GC just opened last week close to home, and now I have good reason to pay a visit.

As a side note, my partner in these adventures (wife) got a huge smile and laughed, even encouraged me when I mentioned my new interest yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Addressing your comments in order - and adding a few of my own:
[*]Finally, know up front that at least 50% (and IME more) of your final tone comes from your amplifier: you need to consider it an instrument in its own right and, at this stage in your journey, I'd recommend auditioning/buying both as a dedicated pair - even if it means waiting and saving up for a while to get what really suits your needs; take the time, listen to what's out there, ask the questions (we're always glad to help here on the Electric subforum ), and when you're ready you'll be in a position to make a wise purchase - the first time... [/LIST]
Old 10-31-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
...As a side note, my partner in these adventures (wife) got a huge smile and laughed, even encouraged me when I mentioned my new interest yesterday...
You're one lucky guy, and I know it well: my wife and I have been on-and-off performing partners since the '67 "Summer of Love" (long story here, and not enough time/space), and our home is well-stocked with instruments of various types we've purchased as birthday/anniversary/Christmas/just-because gifts fir each other - not to mention "wow - that's really quite a bargain" on-the spot discoveries when we go on the road. One of the fringe benefits is that you have someone who is intimately familiar with your playing, and even if she's not musical knows instinctively what makes you sound good; IME I'd ask her to accompany you on your shopping trips - the extra set of eyes/ears (and, if she's a first-rate haggler, the bargaining power when it's time to get serious - I've probably saved an easy couple thousand bucks over the years this way ) can prove valuable, and of course there's always the knowledge that she's an integral part of your pursuits...
Old 10-31-2022, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks, I've learned more in 24 hours than over the last 40 years regarding electrics....and have gone from zero to confused in the same amount of time. I sense a big field trip to the big famous music stores in my near future is in order.
Regarding sound...who doesn't like a humbucking les paul sound, but the strat seems more versatile, and generally don't like telecaster sounds ( I always think country music) but then while you-tubing I hear a telecaster with a humbucker and really like the sound...
Got a feeling this could be like potato chips---can't have just one!

None of my friends play electric so I don't have anyone to lean on. I've owned quite a few nice used acoustics and been very happy with the bang for the buck ratio, but what are the possible negatives or things to avoid when buying a used electric guitar (when you are not already astute enough to know what to look for)? Is it just better to buy new?

I'm not even ready to think about an amp yet, a used amp especially when I remember my youth and blowing up speakers, etc....that little Bugera V5 that I've been reading about on here, or a blues jr. sounds interesting for my needs.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome!
Nate
First : There is no substitute for going into a store and playing different types
If you can facilitate that it will be a good start to inform your search.

On sound to back up a bit ,, understand I mentioned Les Paul as arguably the the most commonly known use of Humbuckers on a guitar . That said, the Humbucker is a pickup style and is more than simply the Les Paul sound,,, for example the sound of BB King (Lucille) is Humbuckers on a semi Hollow body Gibson ES 355 ( also a historical trivia note) the Name Humbucker is a literal name Hum---bucker,,, that is to say it Bucks (or fights) Humm i.e does not hum like many single coil pickups can

Not trying to persuade you one way or the other BUT note do not confuse any prototypical use or sound with any particular genre For example the Telecaster sound is not limited to only the country music genre and twang (which it does very well ) it is also used by Jazz players for example

All that said a Strat is indeed a great first choice for electric guitar

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars