The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-08-2020, 10:20 PM

Default 1977 Goya GS80 Les Paul Custom

To make things easier for me, I am linking my post at MyLesPaul Forum, as it explains my guitar, how I got it, what I paid, and includes photos. Curious if anyone else here has one/has had one/has played one. It's a fine instrument.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/19...custom.441373/

Thanks in advance.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 06-13-2020, 07:27 AM

Congrats on the great find. I read the other thread and I would have paid $50 for your Goya without hesitation, and more. I've heard of the brand but I'm not familiar with them so I can't help you with those specific questions. Some 70s Japanese copy guitars were great (usually in the later years) and others were not.

Does it play well? Does it need a setup? I would clean it up (if needed), put on new strings, plug it in, and play. As far as strings go, you're good with almost anything these days. Ernie Ball Slinkys 9s or 10s or D'Addarios are always popular.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats on the great find. I read the other thread and I would have paid $50 for your Goya without hesitation, and more. I've heard of the brand but I'm not familiar with them so I can't help you with those specific questions. Some 70s Japanese copy guitars were great (usually in the later years) and others were not.

Does it play well? Does it need a setup? I would clean it up (if needed), put on new strings, plug it in, and play. As far as strings go, you're good with almost anything these days. Ernie Ball Slinkys 9s or 10s or D'Addarios are always popular.
The old Goya needs very little. I think I'll go with 10s - though my son the viola player has been playing it daily, using his classical skills to make it sound like a metal guitar! Funny, because he's not a metal head - he just knows how to play classical music!

I've read it's a Kasuga-made instrument. I've also read it's a Matsumoku instrument. The fact it's a set-neck versus bolt-on is a real "kiss". It's has an amazing range of sound - bluesy, rock, metal, even some folky rhythm vibes come out of the little Fender Champ 15! I've been using D'Addario's on my acoustics, and am part of their Players Club for discounts. Might as well stay the course!

Seems Goya acoustics and electrics were targeted for the Canadian market. I had a "Martin" Goya acoustic - MIK, early 80s. All laminate, but a good acoustic. Built like a tank. The LP Copy is also built like a tank. A real rocker!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 06-19-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Everton,

COOL vintage guitar ! Here's a link with some related info https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...y:Goya_guitars

Enjoy!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
To make things easier for me, I am linking my post at MyLesPaul Forum, as it explains my guitar, how I got it, what I paid, and includes photos. Curious if anyone else here has one/has had one/has played one. It's a fine instrument.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/19...custom.441373/

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
The old Goya needs very little. I think I'll go with 10s - though my son the viola player has been playing it daily, using his classical skills to make it sound like a metal guitar! Funny, because he's not a metal head - he just knows how to play classical music!

I've read it's a Kasuga-made instrument. I've also read it's a Matsumoku instrument. The fact it's a set-neck versus bolt-on is a real "kiss". It's has an amazing range of sound - bluesy, rock, metal, even some folky rhythm vibes come out of the little Fender Champ 15! I've been using D'Addario's on my acoustics, and am part of their Players Club for discounts. Might as well stay the course!

Seems Goya acoustics and electrics were targeted for the Canadian market. I had a "Martin" Goya acoustic - MIK, early 80s. All laminate, but a good acoustic. Built like a tank. The LP Copy is also built like a tank. A real rocker!
Sweet! By coincidence, I was at my neighbor's house just hours after, or the day after, I posted my response. She asked me to tune her acoustic guitar for her and it's a Goya. I was surprised. I'm going to have to set it up though (file nut slots and lower saddle). It's by no means a nice guitar, lol.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
goya gs80