The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-04-2023, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Resources for beginners?

I’ve been playing a long time, but a young (17 years) friend of mine just got into guitar. I gifted him an old Yamaha I wasn’t playing anymore, wrote out some chord charts, and will be doing some instruction with him soon. But it’s been so long since I picked it up that I’m not sure about advice for establishing good habits at this early stage. Any free online resources I can review that’ll refresh my memory on good early technique?
Old 09-04-2023, 08:05 PM

Point him to Justin Guitar. https://www.justinguitar.com/
Old 09-04-2023, 09:02 PM

Good technique? I think you can be an example!

Also, here's something that I don't see mentioned online. Tell him to get a guitar strap and play standing up. It's vey ergo because of the much increased range/plaement of the guitar. Once he knows how good/comfy a position can be, then everything else can be measured against that.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingfingers View Post
Point him to Justin Guitar. https://www.justinguitar.com/
Thanks, I’ve heard of Justin, actually so I will check that out!
Old 09-04-2023, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
Good technique? I think you can be an example!

Also, here's something that I don't see mentioned online. Tell him to get a guitar strap and play standing up. It's vey ergo because of the much increased range/plaement of the guitar. Once he knows how good/comfy a position can be, then everything else can be measured against that.
Not a bad idea!

I actually studied with a classical guy for a few years…much of that technique has gone out the window since I stopped, but I’ll offer the classical position to him as an option as well. I kind of go back and forth between left leg and right leg these days. My former teacher would likely be horrified by my sloppy left thumb placement, too.
Old 09-05-2023, 01:30 AM

With a short enough strap, the guitar can be in the same position sitting or standing.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:35 AM

Strap or not, the idea with any seated position - left or right leg - is to secure the guitar firmly in position so the fretting hand is not having to control the height or position of the neck. The fret hand does not hold the neck up, or back; it simply frets the strings.

The classical position is designed to be solid in that way, the guitar wedged between both legs, and held in place against the body by the right arm,

On the right leg, it's easier for the neck to wave around, needing the left hand to hold it in place, so you need other ways of getting it fixed.

Here's a rather extreme example of right leg position wedging the guitar firmly in place:

He has a strap too, but that raised right leg is doing most of the work in securing the guitar's position.

Here's Davey Graham follower Bert Jansch using a similar cross-legged position with no strap, tucking the bottom of the guitar right back against his hip - again, wedging it firmly in there.

Of course, this is for advanced fingerstyle! No doubt way ahead of where your young friend is at! Fixing the guitar in this is way is less important for strumming. Still, no harm in seeing a couple of iconic acoustic guitar heroes in action!

Last edited by JonPR; 09-05-2023 at 06:43 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write