The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-10-2023, 08:21 AM

Default help with shady grove?

Hi. I'm just a beginner guitar player. I've come up with a carter style solo for Shady Grove in C (not the minor version) but it is sounding very basic. Any ideas on where I can put some hammer-ons, pull-offs, or slides to my notes below in the tab to make it sound a bit cooler? Those triangles in the tab are just my way of writing that it's a strum that goes there. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by tenaciousflea; 03-10-2023 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:00 AM

You already have one opportunity for a hammer on in the final bar. You can hammer on from the 0 to the 2. It looks like everything else can be played with down strokes only so keeping with that, try this;
Code:
E╓────────────────────┬─────────────────────┬─────────────────────┬────────────────────┐
B╟────────────────────┼─────────────────────┼─────────────────────┼────────────────────┤
G╟─────S───S────────S─┼───S──────────S────S─┼─────S───S─────────S─┼─────────────S────S─┤
D╟─0h2────────────────┼──────────0h2────────┼─0h2─────────────────┼─────0h2 0 ─────────┤
A╟───────3──0h3─0─────┼──────0─3────────────┼───────3───3p2─0─────┼───3───────3───3────┤
E╙────────────────3───┴─3───────────────3───┴─────────────────3───┴─3──────────────────┘
S = strum
H = hammer on
p = pull off
Old 03-10-2023, 11:27 AM

@stanron Amazing! Thank you so much!
Old 03-11-2023, 01:25 PM

Default help with shady grove?

Check out https://musicwithryan.com/shady-grove-free-lesson/ for free Shady Grove. Good stuff here to learn Carter Style.

No affiliation, but I did subscribe in the past.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write