The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-06-2024, 03:52 AM

Default Question About My Hafler Amp

I have had this Hafler P3000 for twenty years. It has been well cared for and in excellent condition. I used it with my Daedalus speakers. My question is: As it ages, if it were to suddenly go bad, could it damage my speakers? Can I just keep using it without worrying about it going bad at some point?
Old 04-06-2024, 05:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

In the machine room of the studio where I work we have a stack of Haffler TransNova P7000s that power the various monitor arrays in the control room.

They've been in place since 1999 and run 24/7. We've had a couple of failures, but they either failed silently and completely or started having "frying bacon" sounds from a failed component. All of our failed Haffler amps have been repaired by our engineers and returned to service. There was never any speaker damage. Oh, here is a one type of monitor that they power, UREI 813B/Cs, with the dress covers off:

Now, by contrast, at the bottom of the stack of Hafflers in the pic above is a Crown DC-75 that powers a pair of Auratone monitors. One of those failed and put DC across my favorite pair of Auratone monitors over an entire weekend.

They were destroyed. The company pitched 'em but I took them home and am trying to find drivers for them. Sadly enough, it appears that I am addicted to Auratones. I've got four sets that have been discarded by various studios but that I mixed on. These are the only non-functional ones I have.

The DC-75s date from the '70s and '80s and don't really owe us anything, but the cheapest amp you'll ever own is the one that is paid for. We keep a pile of them for low-power uses. When one croaks we pull out another. The engineers repair the non-functional one and put it back into the pile.

I've considered placing one of our P3000s into that slot but what the heck, a better use may come along for the P3000.
So, send me your P3000 if you don't want it. I could use it at home!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-06-2024, 12:02 PM

Thanks Bob, not sure if that means I should or shouldn’t worry about possible speaker damage should the Hafler fail somehow. Based on what you mentioned about the Crown amp, it is possible?
Old 04-06-2024, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I bought a used Hafler 500w amp in the late 80s, well before the period you're talking about. It kept blowing tweeters in my Dunlavy SCIVs.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification