The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 03:55 PM

Default Buying a guitar from Canada

I have found a guitar on reverb that I may want to purchase. The guitar is in Canada and I live in Upstate New York. Will I have to pay any import fees or taxes? Cuz if I do then I'm not going to get it okay so
Old 01-27-2022, 04:01 PM

I tried once to buy a 70s Ibanez concord from a Canadian pawn shop. I live in Georgia (the state). After weeks and it not arriving it was determined it got “lost” at customs. Now this was many years ago and I had to deal with PayPal for a refund. This was through eBay. Now I don’t know if you would have a problem but I won’t buy a guitar from outside the states. That’s just my experience.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:46 PM

Since the border has reopened I frequently cross into Canada visiting friends. Canadians are generally very honest and respectful. I would not hesitate buying a guitar from our northern neighbors.

Have you found a guitar on Reverb that you may want to purchase, or that you do want to purchase. There is a difference.

If the former, I suggest find something similar in the States. The latter...yes, you might pay import fees....but if you like the guitar don't be afraid !

Oh, it's not an absolute, but if someone posts, and it sounds like they didn't get out of high school, not many would probably take them seriously....Cuz well you know it's like street lingo so
Old 01-27-2022, 06:18 PM

Chances are yes you will!

If you can post the guitar that would help.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:32 PM

If you live close enough, go pick it up. Drive it back to the USA, and don't say anything about it at the border. I am 100% sure that you will pay no import duty in that case.

P.S. I live in Mexico, and buy guitars in the USA. The duty is substantial in Mexico, and you have to prepay it (and pay a freight forwarder) before customs will clear it. Sometimes that can take some time.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfederico View Post
If you live close enough, go pick it up. Drive it back to the USA, and don't say anything about it at the border. I am 100% sure that you will pay no import duty in that case.

P.S. I live in Mexico, and buy guitars in the USA. The duty is substantial in Mexico, and you have to prepay it (and pay a freight forwarder) before customs will clear it. Sometimes that can take some time.

Unfortunately I'm disabled and cannot drive so I cannot make the trip.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:45 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I bought my Furch from Brickhouse Guitars in CA. If there were any fees I paid it was included in the price. I'll have to look at the invoice.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-27-2022, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Like Barry I bought a Boucher from Roger at Brickhouse and I didn't pay any additional fee.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-27-2022, 08:18 PM

why take a chance - maybe it will go fine maybe it wont -
Id wait and buy it from the US locally - the way things are at the present time -
Id want to play before i pay and bring it home with you -

Old 01-27-2022, 08:56 PM

Buying a guitar from Canada and shipping to the US is easy. I dont ever recall there being fees. Usps or ups. 2 weeks shipping by ground. In a 46” tall box a guitar shipping box. Cost usually 150cdn to ship.
Gibson SJ200
Old 01-27-2022, 09:00 PM

I bought my 1962is Yamaha Dynamic from a pawn shop in British Colombia last month (maybe two or three months ago?). I live in Arizona. I paid no duty on the purchase.

2022 Guild M-140
ca. 1962 Yamaha Dynamic no. 15
1963 Harmony H1215 Archtone archtop
2021 Collings MT mandolin
2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
193? SS Maxwell mandolin
2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
2021 Aklot concert ukulele
2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin
Old 01-28-2022, 06:04 AM

It depends on the dealer and the wood. If you need a CITES permit it can delay it. If you can get the same guitar in the US, it's much easier. If it's a special instrument it's easier to let the shop selling you the instrument take care of it. I had a very good experience with 12th fret in Toronto.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:44 AM

I don't believe you have to worry about this at all, but I understand why you would.

I purchased a guitar from a luthier in British Columbia a few months ago. I worried, just as you are. How quickly would it pass through customs? Would there be duty fees charged?

No import duty was charged, and the guitar passed from the Canadian postal service to the US postal service, through customs, in one day. It took three total days to receive the guitar from BC.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from Canada, but that is always said with a caveat...it's always possible for an unexpected something to go wrong. But, the same is true for shipping within the US.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2022, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

The OP doesn't say where the guitar was made. Doesn't it make a difference if it was made in the US???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-28-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
The OP doesn't say where the guitar was made. Doesn't it make a difference if it was made in the US???

Absolutely. You pay taxes unless it has already been paid (e.g., no tax on a US made guitar returning to the US).

We can’t really help without knowing the guitar. Also that will help determine the woods it’s built of too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion