The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Weight of your Martin D-18 Modern Deluxe?

I'm thinking about picking up one of the new modern deluxe models, specifically the D-18. I do love the D-18 sound and am really drawn to the modern deluxe series because of the weight -- I like to play with a strap and the less tugging on my shoulder the better.

I've read about switching from the titanium to steel truss rods, and assume that increases weight a little bit.

D-18MD owners: what does yours weigh? Which truss rod do you have?

(new AGF member; first post)
Old 01-27-2022, 02:07 PM

Welcome!

Mine weights 1,8 kg (3,98 pounds) including a Schatten HFN pickup (7grams), the cable and the output jack (no idea about this additional weight).
It is an early one with a titanium truss rod.

I weighted it after I bought it two years ago. Now I wonder if a guitar loses weight or is more like me ….
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 01-28-2022, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the response. I'd guess the cable and jack weigh in the 2-3oz range, which makes that pretty light. Hard to find a dread size guitar under 4 lbs.

How are you liking the guitar after 2 years?
Old 01-28-2022, 08:32 AM

I love that guitar. Playing alone I take the instruments in irregular circles, depending on my mood and ear condition, but when playing with friends or the band (well, they are friends as well), none of my other guitars can beat the D-18MD.
We play with banjo, fiddle, double bass another guitar, mandolin and even drums. We make some noise! The D-18 keeps up greatly.

Funny thing is, that my J-40 is not even one DB less loud on the meter, also it seems to be as loud as the D-18 played alone, but not in the band.
In the same range is my Dove with medium strings but also not at the D-18-level.

Of course, power is not everything, but a bit more objective than sound. If you like the sound of this guitar (I do), you will get a wonderful instrument.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 01-28-2022, 11:31 AM

Mine was around 3 lbs, 13 oz when I got it, but I quickly added a K&K Pure Mini to it. Those are also pretty lightweight, so I’d imagine it added a couple ounces, but it’s still very light for a dreadnaught. Mine has the titanium truss rod, which does seem to make for a light, resonant neck, but Martin evidently now uses a lighter/thinner steel rod than in their standard necks, so it should be fairly similar.

I’d also add that the neck on mine has an undesirable resonance on certain notes when the truss rod is in the neutral position (presumably the two parts of the rod vibrating against each other). Not a big deal as an ideal setup is unlikely to live in that neutral spot, and you can always put a bit of tension on it without impacting the relief. So that’s probably a strike against the titanium (I’ve read about others who had the same issue).

In general, it’s a wonderful guitar and I love playing it. Obviously you have a few options in the D-18 universe (including 3 very different options just from Martin), but if you like the MD appointments, it’s hard to imagine you’ll be unhappy. As a side note, mine sounds best with Martin Retro strings (medium) and a fairly heavy pick. The notes are crisp and pleasant like they should be.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Good to hear more confirmation about the volume and cutting power of the D-18. Its hard to be heard when everyone else is playing a dread. My OM doesn't cut it.

I do like the appointments of the MD. The weight as I mentioned, but also the neck -- the MLO/PA neck on the standard D-18 is too thin for me. How do you guys like the neck on yours?

Thanks @kdahl100 about the neck resonance. I searched and did find other mention of what sounds like the same problem.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:48 PM

A quality wide and padded strap will help alleviate some of the weight discomfort.
I can't imagine a few ounces being felt one way or the other.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:48 PM

I really like the neck, but I think the consensus is that it’s actually thinner than the standard MLO, so you might hate it. The D-18 MD, D-28 MD, 000-28 MD, and OM-28 MD have the same “Vintage Deluxe” neck, so if you can try out one of those other models, you might be able to get a better idea. However, the OM-28 MD has a different taper, I assume to account for the wider string spacing at the bridge (corrected from earlier post).
Old 01-29-2022, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahl100 View Post
Mine was around 3 lbs, 13 oz when I got it...
I suspect that's about as light as they get. My D-18A is 4 pounds on the button, complete with heavy T-bar neck reinforcement. Seems like just about every 14-fret D-18 I've weighed is 4 lbs +/- an ounce
Old 01-29-2022, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
A quality wide and padded strap will help alleviate some of the weight discomfort.
I can't imagine a few ounces being felt one way or the other.
Agreed. Weight won't be the deciding factor, but it is important to me.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I really like the neck, but I think the consensus is that it’s actually thinner than the standard MLO, so you might hate it. The D-18 MD, D-28 MD, 000-28 MD, and OM-28 MD have the same “Vintage Deluxe” neck, so if you can try out one of those other models, you might be able to get a better idea. However, the OM-28 MD has a different taper, I assume to account for the wider string spacing at the bridge (corrected from earlier post).
I have a Martin with the MLO and "performance taper". I like the taper, but the MLO profile is too thin.

I also have an older OM with a "V" neck profile. I like the neck profile (maybe a modified V?), but prefer the tapered neck that's less wide at the 12th fret. I think the OM-28MD has the same (wider) taper.

I haven't been able to find any MD models locally to try, but thought I'd heard the necks were thicker than the MLO. I also can't find any measurements of thickness of the Vintage Deluxe neck. Any owners have numbers they could share? I think thickness at the 1st and 10th frets is the normal measurement.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:41 AM

When I played the standard and the MD side by side before I bought the MD, I also thought the MD has a more slender neck. To me it felt better. But its not only the thickness, but the shape.
I have to add, that I adapt to more or less all neck shapes within minutes. Otherwise I couldn’t own the wide variety of guitars I like.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-31-2022 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:11 AM

Agreed - I was able to play two D-18 MDs when I bought mine, and have since played a couple of others, and while I didn’t weigh any of the others, I suspect they were a hair heavier.

But it also makes sense that a guitar with a titanium truss rod would come in a few ounces lighter. This site indicates that a titanium rod comes in around 2.4 oz (68 grams) lighter than a “regular truss rod,” whatever that means.

As I’ve mentioned, I think the titanium rod comes with some drawbacks, but I’m glad my particular guitar has it. But it’s certainly a matter of opinion, and you aren’t going to notice a difference unless you’re looking for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
I suspect that's about as light as they get. My D-18A is 4 pounds on the button, complete with heavy T-bar neck reinforcement. Seems like just about every 14-fret D-18 I've weighed is 4 lbs +/- an ounce
Old 01-31-2022, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

If any MD owners have calipers and have time to measure, please post your results!

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-31-2022 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Agreed - I was able to play two D-18 MDs when I bought mine, and have since played a couple of others, and while I didn’t weigh any of the others, I suspect they were a hair heavier.

But it also makes sense that a guitar with a titanium truss rod would come in a few ounces lighter. This site indicates that a titanium rod comes in around 2.4 oz (68 grams) lighter than a “regular truss rod,” whatever that means.

As I’ve mentioned, I think the titanium rod comes with some drawbacks, but I’m glad my particular guitar has it. But it’s certainly a matter of opinion, and you aren’t going to notice a difference unless you’re looking for one.
Interestingly, one of the best newer D-18s I’ve played was a 2007 D-18 Authentic 1937 at 4lbs 5 ozs. My D-18 Authentic 1939 is 4 lbs even, as were two standard D-18s I weighed. Goes to show there’s more to it than weight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion