The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2022, 07:26 PM

Well, I live right in the middle of a bluegrass hotspot and go watch shows as often as possible but hadn't thought of attending a BG jam. I was going to ask how you find something like that when I thought I'd type Asheville bluegrass jam into the Google. And sure enough I immediately found a Facebook group that posts the various jams in town. Now I'll just have to work up the nerve to show up at one.

I bought my first guitar right around when the Covid lockdown happened so very much a beginner but would love to start playing with others. I don't have a Martin so won't be going with one if I work up the nerve, but I think it will be fun anyways.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:46 PM

I played a 1995 Taylor 810 for several years as my bluegrass guitar and it was perfect for bluegrass. Every anti-Taylor guy that played it, loved it!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-26-2022, 07:53 PM

The local jams I attend have a few beginners. Folks who have been playing less than a year. Someone is always willing to help when asked.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-26-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishigashira View Post
Well, I live right in the middle of a bluegrass hotspot and go watch shows as often as possible but hadn't thought of attending a BG jam. I was going to ask how you find something like that when I thought I'd type Asheville bluegrass jam into the Google. And sure enough I immediately found a Facebook group that posts the various jams in town. Now I'll just have to work up the nerve to show up at one.

I bought my first guitar right around when the Covid lockdown happened so very much a beginner but would love to start playing with others. I don't have a Martin so won't be going with one if I work up the nerve, but I think it will be fun anyways.
Since you are a beginner, look for a slow jam.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
….from my experience…Bluegrass players are way more impressed by what songs you bring and how well you sing them than they are by what brand of instrument you’re playing….I’d concentrate on working up a couple of great tunes to share and just bring the loudest but not obnoxious guitar you have….
I tour blugrass festivals in the summer. Sort of a hobby. The above observation is right on the mark for the events I attend.

If you get a few leads down solid, and you can be heard, almost everyone will smile at you.

Another thing I agree on above: At any reasonably well known festival, there are at least three guitars in every jam and three more waiting to step in. There are also two banjo players with a backup lurking in the weeds. There's at least one mando player. However, show up with a resophonic or a bass.... many of the jams I attend are missing these two instruments And don't even get me started with fiddle players .... the more the merrier. I've heard some amazing lead/harmony fiddle duets at these jams.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:01 AM

Blueridge is probably the second most common brand after Martin at the bluegrass jams I've been to. Even people who might have a pricey Martin will sometimes have a Blueridge they'll bring to jams. I've never encountered any shade toward import guitars. People were really surprised at how good the BR-40 I bought used for under $300 sounded.

I've seen a lot of Eastman mandolins but I can't remember seeing a lot of their guitars at jams. I'm sure they would be fine. Recording King, I see more of their banjos but their guitars are great too. Alvarez has some guitars that are great for bluegrass.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:05 AM

Lots of good insight here. I have some festivals coming up and I'm debating whether I travel with my nicer guitars (especially on planes) versus something a bit more "disposable."

As an aside, my Yamaha FG830 truly can't be compared with my D28, but I can probably play it a bit better because of the faster neck. I also think that it may be a bit more audible in a crowd because it's a bit more mid/treble forward than the bassy-full spectrum of the D28. Further, if someone decides to toss the FG830 down some stairs, I could always get the natural one because I picked the red one on a lark.

I'd shed a tear for the D28!
Old 01-27-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottomBoy View Post
Lots of good insight here. I have some festivals coming up and I'm debating whether I travel with my nicer guitars (especially on planes) versus something a bit more "disposable."

As an aside, my Yamaha FG830 truly can't be compared with my D28, but I can probably play it a bit better because of the faster neck. I also think that it may be a bit more audible in a crowd because it's a bit more mid/treble forward than the bassy-full spectrum of the D28. Further, if someone decides to toss the FG830 down some stairs, I could always get the natural one because I picked the red one on a lark.

I'd shed a tear for the D28!
Life's too short and it's just a guitar! TAKE THE D28 and enjoy it! Clean it up when you get home and let it do its thing! I take a $5k+ Bourgeois to bluegrass festivals all the time and it's doing just fine! Its survived hot weather and cold weather and the only time it doesn't come out is when it's raining, HARD. It has played many times under a tent when it's just raining. I've taken my Ambertone D41 to quite a few festivals and the only reason its became my indoor-only instrument is because that shade top is so hard to get clean once it gets really nasty, but it has been in many a crowded hotel room during a jam or on tiny, cramped stages and survived! TAKE THE D28!! You only get one go around at life and I'd rather look back and say, "I'm glad I did"! versus "I wish I had"!

Old 01-27-2022, 12:10 PM

On a tangent here. On one of the Letsmeetguild tours of the New Hartford shop, there was a rack with Fender dreads, made in Hew Hartford , not just rebranded Guilds, apparently different bracing and neck shapes. These were finished in pastel shades and , IIRC< had the typical six on a side Fender headstock. My thought was too bad I didn't have the money to waste on one, it would have been great to show up with it at a BG jam and watch the reactions of the Martin only crowd. As accepting as they may be to Blueridge and other brands, I think the color would have gotten to them!
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:20 PM

The only shade I ever got at a jam was for bringing a six-pack of Coors Light to the potluck. At that point, the guy running the jam said, "Well, at least he brought his Martin this time."
Old 01-27-2022, 12:24 PM

Part of the thing with my monthly jam is it takes place in the host's barn. It's a finished barn, with heat, AC, carpet, wi-fi, and an awesome sound system. His board can support 12 microphones & 12 plug-in acoustic guitars.

So it really doesn't matter if you're playing a dread, or an OM, or a 000, or a GS Mini. Every guitar and every singer can be heard.

I know that's not an "authentic" bluegrass parking lot jam, but it's 2022 not 1952. The issues that drove Martin to roll out larger and larger body guitars, and drove bluegrass players to adopt them, only exist today if the players want them to. Regardless of how many violins, mandolins, and banjos surround them, guitar players can choose the guitar that provides the best tone and a good board op can balance everything.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 01-27-2022, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Good playing and goodwill trump all else. Im not looking up or down at anyone for what they can or cant afford, or choose to play.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-27-2022, 01:27 PM

I wouldn't worry about the name on the headstock so much, just bring what guitar you like to play and enjoy yourself. It's much more about the good time
and connecting with people than cork sniffing.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
I wouldn't worry about the name on the headstock so much, just bring what guitar you like to play and enjoy yourself. It's much more about the good time
and connecting with people than cork sniffing.

Yes and no. I’ve played some of the most amazing guitars I’ve ever heard at bluegrass jams. It’s where I discovered Bourgeois guitars. It’s where I saw a Style 40 Martin for the first time, it’s where I saw Herringbone purfling for the first time and thought, “I’ve got to get me one of those”!! The people and the Instruments go hand and hand! Add in killer playing and singing and Magic happens!!

Old 01-27-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
TAKE THE D28 and enjoy it!
I agree. It doesn't make any sense to buy a D-28 and not take it to bluegrass jams.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion