The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2022, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Hiscox now available for good Shipping prices to U.S!

As many of you know, I am a huge Hiscox Guitar case fanboy.
I have been trying to get a second Hiscox for my latest custom Larrivee D40 rosewood for several months now. But alas, supplies were depleted in the U.S. And only the more expensive White version was available in the UK.
Finally Hiscox got production going again however shipping prices were high as they were no longer available in US.
Thanks to a suggestion by Warfrat73 in this recent post,
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=636612

I got a Hiscox ProII at a good price and a great shipping price. And had it in my home in U.S in less than 10 days after ordering! Just got it yesterday. One happy camper here.
Manufacturers very thoughtfully support their dealers. One of the way they do this is by allowing a dealers to sell for less than what the manufacturer sell to the public. After all, why would you become a dealer if you have to compete by selling at the same price as the manufacture? No, manufacturers need dealers. And this is how they show their support.
Andertons Music has Hiscox in stock right now. Furthermore, they have a good price and great shipping rates. As how often it works the more you ship the better the prices?
Prices are stated in Pounds with VAT included( VAT is basically UK Sales tax) Since it is being shipped to another country at checkout VAT is taken out. This reduced the sales Price by 23 pounds or $31 US.
Obviously shipping to various parts of US and Canada will vary, but I was able to get my Hiscox Pro II case for under $250 US.
I now have one Artist & one ProII. Both are wonderful. Pro II is quite a bit lighter. The Interior is not quite as plush...but oh my, still so strong and protective.
Again, a big thanks to Warfrat73 and the AGF. This Forum has introduced me to so many great suggestions: Strings, Tuners, Wood combinations and so much more.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Glad it worked out for you.

I picked up that workaround from some other folks on AGF several years ago.

As I recall, I bought my Pro II from them about 4 or 5 years ago, and even then it was a fair bit cheaper than domestic prices.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-22-2022, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

I just looked at Anderton's website and it states they cannot ship outside of Europe...
Old 01-22-2022, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I just looked at Anderton's website and it states they cannot ship outside of Europe...
Interesting because I just went through the order process and my address in Maine raised no red flags. And their home page boasts "FAST SHIPPING TO USA."

David
Old 01-22-2022, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Interesting because I just went through the order process and my address in Maine raised no red flags. And their home page boasts "FAST SHIPPING TO USA."

David
Certain UK products may not be allowed to ship outside the UK. Various agreements are made in order to protect vendors in various countries.
However Hiscox has graciously agreed to let them ship outside of UK. And that makes good sense as Hiscox is no longer distributed to the US.
Trust me, I just did it! And if you have any problems just email them and they will take care of it.
Andertons has fast & responsive emails communications. Very Pleased.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

I see the "sorry we can't ship outside Europe.." message too - but did not try the actual order process.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Fitment question K&G. My Froggy Bottom H12 has a lower bout of 15 1/4", and that matches the Hiscox 000 case perfectly. But the upper bout is only 10 7/8", and the case dimension is 11 1/2". Would that, in your opinion, be a no-go?
Thanks
David
Old 01-22-2022, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

These are stellar cases. I won’t leave home without one. The dreadnought fits my round-shoulder J 50. The OM fits my 000 18.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 01-22-2022, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fitment question K&G. My Froggy Bottom H12 has a lower bout of 15 1/4", and that matches the Hiscox 000 case perfectly. But the upper bout is only 10 7/8", and the case dimension is 11 1/2". Would that, in your opinion, be a no-go?
Thanks
David
Unfortunately I would not be qualified to answer that question. I can tell you this much that usually the side cushions are bigger so that the guitar can compress into cushion. I think this is a way for their cases to adapt to the small differences between guitar manufacturers and their body shapes.
I am a huge believer in emailing manufacturers, makers direct. Often they will have tried what we are wanting to know.
If it was me, I would email Froggy, Hiscox and Andertons, asking them this very same question. Chances are Froggy has been asked this before and will know. Or Hiscox has tried a Froggy in their case...Or Andertons may have another maker with similar upper bout dimensions and can try it for you.
Email all three and I am sure that at least two will have an accurate answer for you.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Unfortunately I would not be qualified to answer that question. I can tell you this much that usually the side cushions are bigger so that the guitar can compress into cushion. I think this is a way for their cases to adapt to the small differences between guitar manufacturers and their body shapes.
I am a huge believer in emailing manufacturers, makers direct. Often they will have tried what we are wanting to know.
If it was me, I would email Froggy, Hiscox and Andertons, asking them this very same question. Chances are Froggy has been asked this before and will know. Or Hiscox has tried a Froggy in their case...Or Andertons may have another maker with similar upper bout dimensions and can try it for you.
Email all three and I am sure that at least two will have an accurate answer for you.
Makes sense. Thanks.
David
Old 01-22-2022, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

I just checked and it is $247 shipped to the PNW.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks
David
It will work fine, it's only 5/8". Shove a bit of soft cloth in the gap and you are sorted. I do this all the time with one particular guitar which is an odd size.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I've had experience with the 000/OM Pro II case and you should have no problem. The pads are about 1/2" thick and there's one on each side so that 11.5" nominal should work down to about 10.5" but you can always request a couple of extra pads (or make your own, they used to use bags of fabric off cuts for padding in the shipping box) to help the fit.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to those who confirmed that the differential between the upper bout case dimension and guitar is not an issue. That was the opinion of the Hiscox dealer as well. Indeed, he added, "The upper bout will be fine as the lower bout and neck in the neck rest will keep the guitar in place. If anything, it's better as it means the guitar has a little bit of room should the case get banged."
I am not strong on the physics, but I assume he is saying that a tight fit to the case means that all the energy from a hit will be transferred through the case and into the guitar. With a bit of a gap, that energy could be dissipated. In any event, a Hiscox case for $233 delivered from the UK is much more attractive than the alternatives. My biggest concern is not so much traveling with it, but getting a secure fit and impermiable material to stabilize humidity. That is much more of a risk to my FB, every day, than a possible flight in the future.
David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 01-23-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks to those who confirmed that the differential between the upper bout case dimension and guitar is not an issue. That was the opinion of the Hiscox dealer as well. Indeed, he added, "The upper bout will be fine as the lower bout and neck in the neck rest will keep the guitar in place. If anything, it's better as it means the guitar has a little bit of room should the case get banged."
I am not strong on the physics, but I assume he is saying that a tight fit to the case means that all the energy from a hit will be transferred through the case and into the guitar. With a bit of a gap, that energy could be dissipated. In any event, a Hiscox case for $233 delivered from the UK is much more attractive than the alternatives. My biggest concern is not so much traveling with it, but getting a secure fit and impermiable material to stabilize humidity. That is much more of a risk to my FB, every day, than a possible flight in the future.
David
I will be looking forward to your review when you get it.
One of the nice things about the Hiscox ProII and the Hiscox Artist is that they have plenty of extra headroom above the headstock. I put my Music Nomad sponge system there. There is no real way to get the velcro to stick to the interior though, so I put a cloth in between the Headstock and the sponge. I just could never come to trust in sound hole wet systems at the chance of a leak. So having the extra room at the top is nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion