The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-26-2022, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
There are parallels in the communications between differing nationalities as well.

I have also observed this in my face to face Zoom meetings in which I might make a joke or jovial comment and learned that my American clients will not respond until I smile seemingly giving them "permission" to respond to the joke.

It works the other way too. I remember being in a friend's house in Texas on a very hot and humid autumn (fall) night and really feeling the need for a second beer.
Our gracious host was not refilling anyone's glasses, as would be obligatory in the UK, and so I asked "Would you mind if I had/ helped myself to - another beer?"
He looked at me querulously and said "why would I mind?"

I nervously went to his fridge to avail myself of said beverage.

In the UK one would never take drink from your host's fridge. (at least, not without expecting an extremely sarcastic comment).

Different strokes.
I bounce up against the US / UK barrier from time, with some German mixed in, from time to time as my girlfriend is from the UK, me from the US, us living in Germany.

Coming from the mid-west (Missouri) it would be impolite not to offer someone another drink, or at lease invite them to help themselves. Often people want you to feel comfortable and at home.
Germans don't seem to take to the "please help yourself", after being served the first round, but it is common in some (but not all) parts of the US.

Various stringed instruments
Old 01-27-2022, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post

... I've surely offended some of my fellow AGF members,
I'm not offended... and don't call me Shirley... (insert rim shot here)

As participants, we need only to support the respectful, relaxed atmosphere AGF offers and so many of us appreciate.

Thank you MB for all your contributions to this forum and especially for the consideration for AGF members your post demonstrates. So again, thank you for your community spirit.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 01-27-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Wow... flameproof biking shorts, huh? I've been biking a long time and never knew what I was missing.
I've never heard anyone mention their biking shorts on the ChopCult or ShovelheadUSA forums, but I'll bet the heat would get turned up real quick if someone did!
Old 01-27-2022, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
... Life is too short, and we are music lovers, after all.
I agree......

- Glenn
Old 01-28-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmillbern View Post
I bounce up against the US / UK barrier from time, with some German mixed in, from time to time as my girlfriend is from the UK, me from the US, us living in Germany.

Coming from the mid-west (Missouri) it would be impolite not to offer someone another drink, or at lease invite them to help themselves. Often people want you to feel comfortable and at home.
Germans don't seem to take to the "please help yourself", after being served the first round, but it is common in some (but not all) parts of the US.
A complication with many Britons is that we say things we do not mean. 'Pop round if you're in the area' or 'Make yourself at home' does not necessarily mean dropping in unannounced or helping one's self to beers from the fridge. In Spain, I once offended an acquaintance because I did not just 'drop in any time' after he had invited me to do so. I was waiting for a definite invitation at a specific time!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic