The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-20-2022, 03:39 PM

Default Forged in Fire

Forged in Fire is an older show that is new to me. My wife and I enjoy watching; it seems more reality based that many of the 'reality' shows. The judges appear authentic as does the guy who tells the bladesmiths to surrender their weapons.

One of the choices to make knife handles is micarta and I wondered if it is the same material used for guitar fingerboards.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

I haven't seen that show in quite a while, but it was interesting.

Micarta is frequently used in knife scales (handles) and performs wonderfully. I have several knives with micarta scales. I believe it is the same material used on some fretboards.

I am fortunate to have a local blacksmith school nearby. A couple of years ago my wife bought me a 3 day course which was awesome. Through the course we built three throwing knives and two throwing axes. At the end, we held a competition throwing knives and axes.

I want to build a smithy!
Old 01-20-2022, 05:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I really enjoy that show and have been watching it for quite some time. I’m always impressed at what participants are able to fabricate in such a short amount of time, sometimes by foraging through and repurposing various metals as part of the challenge. And what they’re able to produce back at their home forges...such craftsmanship. All of the judges are very talented, but imo, former contestant/winner (x2) turned judge Ben Abbott is the best. Incredible skills. As a judge, I like Doug Marcaida...”your weapon...it will keeilll!”

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-21-2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:45 PM

Yes, I watch it too. I like that a lot of the handle material is exotic woods that are used for guitar construction also.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:03 PM

Agreed, I'm still watching and enjoying "Forged In Fire".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic