The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-23-2022, 09:36 PM

I've been driving manuals on and off, mostly on, since I was 16.
I'm 67 now and I still drive a manual.

I'll miss them when they're gone.

Incidentally, my first car was a 65 mustang 3 speed manual.
Yes, that's right, a 3 speed.
Mustangs then weren't the muscle cars they later became.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:58 PM

I live in a city where it's feasible to primarily bike, so I have a '94 Toyota pickup as my driver. I've only owned manuals, and imagine I'll be sticking with the smaller, old manual pickup until I transition to something electric, whenever that is.
B&J Serenader Round Hole Archtop
Guild F212XL
Bruno Lyra Jumbo
Old 01-23-2022, 10:09 PM

The only thing I did not enjoy about driving manuals, was the fact that 99% of other drivers did not understand that its a bad idea to drive right up to my tail on a hill.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:21 PM

Just jumped back from my Porsche forum, so you might guess where this is going. Three of my first four cars were manuals, including a brutally tough 1977 Mustang II which was my first car. That car was as ugly a manual as you could ever have. If you like the driving experience, a manual is the way to go. I picked up a used 911 6 speed about a year ago and it rekindled my love for driving. The ability to up/downshift at will is becoming a lost art/interest. I hate that manuals are going out of availability, but I guess for some purposes it is just not beneficial. I don't envision ever buying a new car with a manual, but I'm never letting go of that 911. It's raw and visceral and I like being reminded of what driving can be.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-24-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Early automatics (circa 1960-70s), especially on smaller cars without much "flywheel," tended to be jerky and not very good. ...I seem to recall a 62 Nova with a 2-speed auto (yawn...)...
FYI those two-speed Powerglides (my dad had one in our '61 Chevy Biscayne) are the hot ticket for drag racers - and having taken some test passes in a PG-equipped dragster, IME the one thing you won't be doing is yawning...
Old 01-24-2022, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
FYI those two-speed Powerglides (my dad had one in our '61 Chevy Biscayne) are the hot ticket for drag racers - and having taken some test passes in a PG-equipped dragster, IME the one thing you won't be doing is yawning...
Probably missed that rush with the gutless straight 6 in a Nova wagon. Lol.

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-25-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Back when I tried to fit in with teenagers (because I was chronologically a teenager...) we used to call those Powerglides "Peanut-butter drive" because they seemed to sap so much of the initial tire chirping launch that was acoustically prestigious. I wonder if their adaption with much more powerful vehicles has to do with them acting as sort of non-electronic "launch control?"

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-25-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
Just jumped back from my Porsche forum, so you might guess where this is going. Three of my first four cars were manuals, including a brutally tough 1977 Mustang II which was my first car. That car was as ugly a manual as you could ever have. If you like the driving experience, a manual is the way to go. I picked up a used 911 6 speed about a year ago and it rekindled my love for driving. The ability to up/downshift at will is becoming a lost art/interest. I hate that manuals are going out of availability, but I guess for some purposes it is just not beneficial. I don't envision ever buying a new car with a manual, but I'm never letting go of that 911. It's raw and visceral and I like being reminded of what driving can be.
As a matter of fact, Andreas Preuninger, head of the Porsche's GT3 said in an interview that the reason why they brought back manual in their GT3 recent cars is the demand from American enthusiasts, Not European.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Back when I tried to fit in with teenagers (because I was chronologically a teenager...) we used to call those Powerglides "Peanut-butter drive" because they seemed to sap so much of the initial tire chirping launch that was acoustically prestigious. I wonder if their adoption with much more powerful vehicles has to do with them acting as sort of non-electronic "launch control?"
Launch control is one of the black arts of drag racing, and in practice it's a complex interplay of the right components and skillful tuning, much like finding that sweet spot in an electric guitar/amp rig where it just sings like Pavarotti's parakeet; as with any other component a P-Glide used solely for racing purposes is, at the very least, highly modified, while in some extreme circumstances (where horsepower output to the wheels is routinely stated in four figures) they're essentially Powerglides in name only. IMO where it excels is the basic design - simple, practical, minimalist, durable, easily modified, and compact/lightweight in a sport where the mantra has long been "When you get a new part, toss it up in the air - if it comes back down, it's too heavy..."
Old 01-27-2022, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I've owned 17 Hondas - the first 15 were all manual. I LOVED that driving experience.

Unfortunately, they became harder to find, and MUCH harder to sell (which I obviously do quite often)

My left foot still looks for the clutch once in a while.
I had a 1994 Accord with a manual. It was near impossible to sell a few years later. Sure took a hit on that one.

Last edited by Bluside; 01-28-2022 at 05:38 AM. Reason: 1994 not 2004
Old 01-27-2022, 10:26 AM

I love my 6-speed manual Jeep Wrangler. I have been driving manuals for more than 50 years, although there have also been many automatic transmissions in my past. I took my drivers license test on a manual, because at the time (1968) if you tested on an automatic you had a restriction on your license that said, "automatic only". No way the 16-year-old me was going to have any of that nonsense on my license! Besides, I had learned to drive on big trucks at my first summer job, so clutching and shifting a car was not a problem at all. I find that a manual keeps me more engaged in the driving process, and that makes it harder to space out when I should be paying attention. The only drawback is, as already mentioned, in traffic jams, where the clutch gets annoying. But I can live with that.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:53 AM

My sister in law recently asked whether she could borrow my pickup for a couple hours. Without thinking, I tossed her the keys. She was shocked to discover that the manual transmission, having not driven one herself in decades. Forgot that she had to put in the clutch when she came to a stop sign.

Nice thing about a manual transmission: the sister in law will never again ask to borrow my truck.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Mrs. Tinnitus: "Why does the car I want cost more with a stick?"

Sales Reptile: "They're rare, sought after and really good for your resale value."

Two years later (same guy)...

Mrs. Tinnitus: "That's not even Blue Book! Why are you low-balling my trade-in?"

Sales Reptile: "Nobody wants a clutch. They're just not worth as much."
Old 01-27-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Mrs. Tinnitus: "Why does the car I want cost more with a stick?"

Sales Reptile: "They're rare, sought after and really good for your resale value."

Two years later (same guy)...

Mrs. Tinnitus: "That's not even Blue Book! Why are you low-balling my trade-in?"

Sales Reptile: "Nobody wants a clutch. They're just worth a lot less."
That really depends on the vehicle you choose. For some sedans and economical vehicles the manual transmission might not be so great later on. For some it is very desirable. Sports cars and some pickups and Jeeps for sure.

With my 4Runner that had a rare heavy duty mechanicals package with manual transmissions an oil change at the dealer would get me calls from staff who looked me up hoping I'd call them first if I sell. When I did sell it two people bid up a 15 year old vehicle. I sold it for more than most guidelines.

Now it's funny when some recognize the options and year our VW Alltrack is. In parking lots I've been asked if I'm interested in selling it. To a VW fan I say not until the electric van is shipping but we actually got it to compliment our first EV.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
That really depends on the vehicle you choose.
Same vehicle. Same Sales Gnome. Conflicting stories.

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-27-2022 at 04:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic