The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-21-2022, 07:15 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
One of the things about Led Zeppelin is that Bonham, Jones, and Page were all excellent musicians and Plant a fantastic vocalist. Peart, Lee, and Lifeson are on those same lines as well.

Unfortunately, Bonham, Peart, and Moon are gone.
Plant also blew a pretty good harp.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, Bonham, Peart, and Moon are gone.
2 out of 3 were incredibly self destructive. Life was cruel to Neil Peart.

Note to self when drinking an entire half gallon of Vodka do not pass out on your back.

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 01-31-2022 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:30 PM

LZ II was my introduction and it has always remained my favorite. Ten Years Gone is probably my favorite to play. I've always had a soft spot for the live album The Song Remains The Same simply because I saw them in '77 at the Pontiac Silverdome and our seats rendered the sound truly awful, and that album was what I had hoped to hear live. Imagine my surprise when just last year I stumbled upon a mp3 copy of that actual show, and surprisingly the sound was a bad as I remembered. But re-listening to it with 'bootleg concert ears' 34 years later I was shocked at the quality of the performance. They kicked it, no doubt about it. Bonham was a force of nature that night, and Plant was in fine form as well.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-27-2022 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2558 View Post
LZ II was my introduction and it has always remained my favorite. Ten Years Gone is probably my favorite to play. I've always had a soft spot for the live album The Song Remains The Same simply because I saw them in '77 at the Pontiac Silverdome and our seats rendered the sound truly awful, and that album was what I had hoped to hear live. Imagine my surprise when just last year I stumbled upon a mp3 copy of that actual show, and surprisingly the sound was a bad as I remembered. But re-listening to it with 'bootleg concert ears' 34 years later I was shocked at the quality of the performance. They kicked it, no doubt about it. Bonham was a force of nature that night, and Plant was in fine form as well.
Not surprising that the sound was awful in that place based upon the building materials and general design. Also not surprising an mp3 recording sounded terrible although there's definitely some halfway decent boots of that night almost 45 years ago(?!).

Try this: https://youtu.be/_ISM-eQr00o as, although YT quality terrible sound at least an attempt was made to clean it up.
Great show though from the 77 tour. Here's Page's recollections of it: https://www.mlive.com/entertainment/...age_on_po.html
Old 01-28-2022, 02:22 PM

Thanks to Mycroft for posting this on the Acoustic Guitar sub forum. I watched it last night. Great video.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:41 AM

Default Led Zeppelin

So I’m too young to have experienced LZ in their ‘day’. I stumbled upon them in a backwards way when I picked up an obscure ‘tribute’ album. Loved many of the songs so I went back and checked out the real thing and the rest is history. Kashmir, when the levee breaks, and Stairway are my favorites. I, too, bought that 4 album boxed set with the crop circles on the cover.

Here’s the tribute album - anyone familiar with it? I couldn’t even find it on iTunes.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
So I’m too young to have experienced LZ in their ‘day’. I stumbled upon them in a backwards way when I picked up an obscure ‘tribute’ album. Loved many of the songs so I went back and checked out the real thing and the rest is history. Kashmir, when the levee breaks, and Stairway are my favorites. I, too, bought that 4 album boxed set with the crop circles on the cover.

Here’s the tribute album - anyone familiar with it? I couldn’t even find it on iTunes.

All popular artists from the mid-90s, so probably long out of print. Except for that Robert Plant guy. Never heard of him...

Oh, and... https://www.amazon.com/Encomium-Trib.../dp/B000002J3Y
Old 02-03-2022, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Oh, yeah.. I vaguely remember that album. I think that STP's "Dancing Days" was the highlight for me, as I recall. And of course, I was thrilled that Plant recorded with Tori Amos, who was one of my favorites during this era (saw her in 1996, during her "Boys For Pele" album and tour; amazing show!).
Old 02-04-2022, 02:34 PM

I bought Page and Plant No Quarter CD when it came out in 1994. Great album. John Paul Jones wasn't on it though and he wasn't even aware of this reunion.

Source: Wikipedia
Old 02-05-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I bought Page and Plant No Quarter CD when it came out in 1994. Great album. John Paul Jones wasn't on it though and he wasn't even aware of this reunion.

Source: Wikipedia
They both did him wrong for many years. Has really been a shame. He's handled it well though.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Years after Bonham died and other former LZ projects had flourished, I remember when some sort of award was presented to the 3 survivors on TV. Maybe RR Hall of Fame or something, I don't recall. What I do recollect is Robert and Jimmy standing together behind JP Jones when he stepped to the mic to give his thank-you speech. He went down a short list of all the usual people, finishing with something (and I paraphrase) like, "And I want to thank these two for finally remembering my number after all these years." JP and RP stood there smirking like a couple 9-year old boys busted for passing gas. Tres Awkward.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-05-2022 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:51 PM

Favorite song: Fool in the Rain followed by Stairway

Favorite Album: probably LZII

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 02-06-2022, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Years after Bonham died and other former LZ projects had flourished, I remember when some sort of award was presented to the 3 survivors on TV. Maybe RR Hall of Fame or something, I don't recall. What I do recollect is Robert and Jimmy standing together behind JP Jones when he stepped to the mic to give his thank-you speech. He went down a short list of all the usual people, finishing with something (and I paraphrase) like, "And I want to thank these two for finally remembering my number after all these years." JP and RP stood there smirking like a couple 9-year old boys busted for passing gas. Tres Awkward.
It was the R&R HoF, and it was absolutely brilliant (scroll past the first six minutes, which is all Plant).

Old 03-05-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Back in the 60's, so many of my friends loved the Yardbirds... when Clapton left the band and formed Cream, that was a great follow-up to his brief stint in the Yardbirds... and then Jeff Beck left and put out "Truth", and THAT had a huge impact!

So, when Jimmy Page left to form his own band, we were all interested in what he'd do... heard some rumors about a "mainly acoustic-oriented blues band", then I heard the story about someone telling John Paul Jones that the idea would go over "like a lead zeppelin"...

And then that first album came out.. absolutely mind-blowing sound from 4 guys! NOTHING else sounded remotely like it; maybe "Truth", but, no... they played at the University of California at Irvine on that first tour, when they were largely unknown, opening for Lee Michaels (!)... cost $4, and they definitely killed the show! They were so good that, even at 17 years old, I felt sorry that Lee had to follow them onstage!

At that time, they had none of the accoutrements of stardom; minimal lighting, no stage show, just that band, playing their butts off! Jimmy did have the violin bow for "Dazed and Confused", but really, no sort of special effects gizmos...

The first album is still my favorite, with "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" as my favorite, followed closely by the segue from "Communication Breakdown" into "Black Mountain Side".

Saw the band again at the Forum in LA, 3 or 4 years later... they came out and played a marginal 40' set to an absolutely PACKED house... and then walked away. Of course, that time they had all the lights and bells and whistles going for them... but I was sorely disappointed with the trappings of The Rock Star that prevailed that night...

Funny thing - I bought the first 4 albums on CD, and my copy of III has the most annoying glitch on my favorite song on that record, "Since I've Been Loving You"; sounds like there's a little "tail" of tape that keeps rubbing everytime that master tape rolls around... really ruins that song on that particular CD... couldn't believe that something like that would slip past any quality-control folks...
The "someone" who made the "go over like a lead zep" comment to JPJ was Keith Moon.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Back in the 60's, so many of my friends loved the Yardbirds... when Clapton left the band and formed Cream, that was a great follow-up to his brief stint in the Yardbirds... and then Jeff Beck left and put out "Truth", and THAT had a huge impact!

So, when Jimmy Page left to form his own band, we were all interested in what he'd do... heard some rumors about a "mainly acoustic-oriented blues band", then I heard the story about someone telling John Paul Jones that the idea would go over "like a lead zeppelin"...

And then that first album came out.. absolutely mind-blowing sound from 4 guys! NOTHING else sounded remotely like it; maybe "Truth", but, no... they played at the University of California at Irvine on that first tour, when they were largely unknown, opening for Lee Michaels (!)... cost $4, and they definitely killed the show! They were so good that, even at 17 years old, I felt sorry that Lee had to follow them onstage!

At that time, they had none of the accoutrements of stardom; minimal lighting, no stage show, just that band, playing their butts off! Jimmy did have the violin bow for "Dazed and Confused", but really, no sort of special effects gizmos...

The first album is still my favorite, with "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" as my favorite, followed closely by the segue from "Communication Breakdown" into "Black Mountain Side".

Saw the band again at the Forum in LA, 3 or 4 years later... they came out and played a marginal 40' set to an absolutely PACKED house... and then walked away. Of course, that time they had all the lights and bells and whistles going for them... but I was sorely disappointed with the trappings of The Rock Star that prevailed that night...
Saw them on their second US tour in the spring of 1969 and had a similar experience. They played full out for two sets, fresh and full of energy. We were about 20’ from the stage. When they came back to Chicago they again played two sets at the same venue in the afternoon, and each was a separate concert. Page was good, but appeared strung out from being on the road. Never saw them again live, and from concert movies I’m glad I didn’t. The first two albums were my favorites, and remember reading that they considered LZ 1 the worst one they ever did.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic