The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-17-2022, 04:56 AM

My goto song would be "Tea for One" from Presence which is also the album I most often take out. But I love them all. I think perhaps Presence has the more modern production style of them all. Physical Graffiti comes in at a strong second. The rest compete for third place :-).

My record pusher rolled his eyes when I asked him to look out for all 4 covers of "In Through The Outdoor". I never succeed at getting more than two, though. In retrospect, I suspect he kept them from me for my own good :-).

Did love the Honeydrippers album a lot too, by the way. Incidentally, that too came in two versions. Managed to get both... ha!
Old 01-17-2022, 05:17 AM

I’m so surprised no one mentioned this one yet — “Immigrant Song.”

Hands down, my favorite. So different and dramatic, it has always conjured up the coolest images when I hear it.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post

Hands down, my favorite. So different and dramatic, it has always conjured up the coolest images when I hear it.

Agreed. HAMMER OF THE GODS!!

Couple other favs of mine would be "Nobody's fault but mine" and "That's the way".
Old 01-17-2022, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I already named 5 faves with lovely guitars. And Immigrant Song would've been next for its own reasons.

That's what they opened with when I saw them in 1972. None of that standard 70s local DJ announcer concert kickoff... "All right! Are you kids ready to rock? I cant heeear you!"

Cheerleader not required - just a face full of Led Zep blowing the roof off.

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-18-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Aimelie, the Immigrant Song is one of my favorites and a great opening track. Such a fun song to play too.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Oh wow, so hard...

Songs, order (barely)

The Rain Song
When The Levee Breaks
Thank You (my wife and my wedding song, we also perform it in our duo)
Ramble On/Heartbreaker (okay, I'm stealing one here)
No Quarter

And about a hundred more.

Favorite album - IV (with II a close second)

Story - a sad one. We (best friend and I) were huge fans but in that age group where seeing them live was nearly impossible. They announced a tour I think in 1980, tickets to be sold by lottery. We put in for our tickets and within a few weeks Bonham died. We were devastated.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Good choice, but I bet it's not these images.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What's your favorite Led Zeppelin song? Ok, it may be difficult to pick just one song but no more then 5 songs in your list.

How about your favorite Zeppelin album?
Stairway To Heaven
and
Zeppelin 4
Old 01-17-2022, 06:49 PM

I started buying their records in 1973 when I was 12. I still have a couple of those originals. When I joined the Corps, I sold 70-80 records with a few Zep albums in the mix. Lately I have been buying remastered, 180g albums and they sound pretty good.

Their debut album is very good with great homage to many of the great Blues artists. I once knew every song, every album, every side and what order they were in. Hard to name a favorite, but if forced - Ramble On. Their 2nd album is legendary.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 01-17-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Story - a sad one. We (best friend and I) were huge fans but in that age group where seeing them live was nearly impossible. They announced a tour I think in 1980, tickets to be sold by lottery. We put in for our tickets and within a few weeks Bonham died. We were devastated.
I am right there with you. I worked at a grocery store that received a delivery from Centrella in Chicago every morning. The truck driver knew that I was a huge Zep fan and saw the full page newspaper ad I had hanging over my work space announcing their Chicago date. He told me he would get me 2 tickets through his company. Bonham died and the concert never was. Never a bigger letdown as far as concerts go.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 01-18-2022, 05:28 AM

I’m a little later to Zeppelin than many of you as I was born in 69 and didn’t come to them until I found their albums on cassette at K mart for the Nice Price of $6 each. Zep 2 came first, then Zep 1 which had the album sides reversed so I always thought “Communication Breakdown” was song 1 of side 1. Zep 4 came out joy after finding tab for “Stairway” in Guitar magazine and I was hooked. My guitar teacher worked me through it and that was the song that created critical mass in my guitar lessons. I spent the summer of 84 over at a friend’s house with my Kay acoustic and my hand cramped up any a time playing “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You.” Somewhere along the line we rented “The Song Remains the Same” on VHS and enjoyed it with the help of some herbs. “Houses of the Holy” came along in my freshman year at college and almost succumbed to spontaneous combustion in my removable car radios tape deck - but I saved it by pulling the radio out and setting it on the ground and prying the tape out once the smoke stopped. Those cassette tapes were always getting chewed up by it but I’d always wind them back up. I joined the Navy and found Zep 3 and “Physical Graffiti” in the ships store and recall rocking out to the “Immigrant Song” and “Kashmir” on my Walkman as we had a quasi steel beech day traversing the Suez Canal on the USS Forrestal. Afterward - and several years later - I went back to college and met a kid who had the first CD box set and he introduced me to the full catalog. Finally, in 1994 he and I watched the “Unledded” concert on MTV and it served as a fitting coda more than the final album IMO. Many of those arrangements of the old songs were better than the originals IMO.

That being said, “Unledded” is obviously my favorite but if we’re going to be technical the Runes album is my favorite as I practically digested it. My favorite songs are therefore:

Stairway to Heaven
Babe I’m Gonna Leave You
The Rain Song
Bron Yr’Aur
Kashmir
Friends
Wonderful One
Rock and Roll
Since I’ve Been Loving You
You Shook Me
Old 01-18-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Stairway To Heaven
and
Zeppelin 4
Hey AE, IV is my favorite album and I would say Stairway may be my favorite all time Zep song. Gigged it on my Epi SG Double Neck (12 string / 6 string).
Old 01-18-2022, 02:39 PM

Not a huge Zep fan, but I always thought "No Quarter" was a wild tune, really creates a heavy mood.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-19-2022, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Favorite song and album?

Gotta be, Ten Years Gone/Physical Graffiti.

I once, In Highschool. Spent a whole weekend learning every lick of Led Zeppelin II

First Led Zeppelin I ever played live Gotta be Stairway.

Favorite Zep. song to play today> The Rain Song.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

One thing I will say is thanks to the OP for starting this thread! I’ve been getting the Led out for the last couple of days, both with the headphones, the acoustic, and the electric.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic