The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-16-2022, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Was a huge LZ fan in college. Saw them live twice in Chicago at the Kinetic Playground. The first was on their second US tour in the spring of 1969. They played two sets (all of the 1st album), and we were about 20’ from the stage. Everyone was in top form, and the performance was amazing. In “Dazed and Confused” Page’s violin bow part coupled with Plant's intimate moans was very different from what I’d ever seen at a concert before, and “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” brought tears to my eyes. The next time the came to town (Fall ‘69), they again played 2 sets, but each was a separate show. While still impressive, Page looked a little strung out. When album #3 came out, my friends and I were disappointed, and by #4, with the exception of “Black Dog”, I wasn’t so interested in their later material.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-16-2022, 10:59 AM

A favorite song? As with so many others, it's almost impossible for me to pick just one. I spent so much of my last 2 years of high school riding around in my '62 Impala SS with the 8-track blaring both Zep I and II. I do remember, however, the first time I heard Led Zeppelin. It was a warm day, so we were having gym class outside in the field next to the student parking lot. Two seniors drove into the lot, windows down, with the car stereo absolutely roaring this incredible riff. I and a couple of other musician types there were so astounded by this music that we literally just froze and looked at each other - what in God's name IS that? We had to find out, and one of my friends knew one of the guys in the car. The riff was How Many More Times, from Led Zepplin I. By the end of the week, we all had a copy.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
That cool 45 of yours probably came from a jukebox and was drilled to preclude potential resale.
You may very well be right. The hole hadn’t actually registered until you pointed it out. I did have a friend back in those days who was a DJ - it’s quite possible that it came from his collection.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 01-16-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:18 AM

The first album, for me.

Can’t pick a song.

Like others, they’re a big part of me picking up a guitar, even if I don’t play their songs much anymore.

And I listened to the albums with every song in sequence so many times that hearing one song not followed by the expected follow up is disturbing.
Didn’t like the box set for that reason.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:38 AM

When the Levee Breaks, for me.

Honorable mention to the studio version of Stairway, however, for having the best heavy rock solo ever recorded!
Old 01-16-2022, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I always liked "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and "Rock and Roll." Favorite album is a toss up.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
And I listened to the albums with every song in sequence so many times that hearing one song not followed by the expected follow up is disturbing.
Didn’t like the box set for that reason.
Agreed. When I ripped my box set to my iTunes library some years ago, I rearranged all the songs in track order under the album titles. There are gaps, of course, but they’re much less jarring than the wrong order.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-16-2022, 12:58 PM

Stairway to Heaven
Ten Years Gone
The Rain Song
Fool in the Rain
Dazed and Confused
Babe I’m Gonna Leave You
The Lemon Song

Album for me is probably the first one. But I think for me all this is counter to why I loved the work so much. It was the body of work, the uniqueness. Stands alone to this day.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Black Mountain Side is my favorite.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Back in the 60's, so many of my friends loved the Yardbirds... when Clapton left the band and formed Cream, that was a great follow-up to his brief stint in the Yardbirds... and then Jeff Beck left and put out "Truth", and THAT had a huge impact!

So, when Jimmy Page left to form his own band, we were all interested in what he'd do... heard some rumors about a "mainly acoustic-oriented blues band", then I heard the story about someone telling John Paul Jones that the idea would go over "like a lead zeppelin"...

And then that first album came out.. absolutely mind-blowing sound from 4 guys! NOTHING else sounded remotely like it; maybe "Truth", but, no... they played at the University of California at Irvine on that first tour, when they were largely unknown, opening for Lee Michaels (!)... cost $4, and they definitely killed the show! They were so good that, even at 17 years old, I felt sorry that Lee had to follow them onstage!

At that time, they had none of the accoutrements of stardom; minimal lighting, no stage show, just that band, playing their butts off! Jimmy did have the violin bow for "Dazed and Confused", but really, no sort of special effects gizmos...

The first album is still my favorite, with "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" as my favorite, followed closely by the segue from "Communication Breakdown" into "Black Mountain Side".

Saw the band again at the Forum in LA, 3 or 4 years later... they came out and played a marginal 40' set to an absolutely PACKED house... and then walked away. Of course, that time they had all the lights and bells and whistles going for them... but I was sorely disappointed with the trappings of The Rock Star that prevailed that night...

Funny thing - I bought the first 4 albums on CD, and my copy of III has the most annoying glitch on my favorite song on that record, "Since I've Been Loving You"; sounds like there's a little "tail" of tape that keeps rubbing everytime that master tape rolls around... really ruins that song on that particular CD... couldn't believe that something like that would slip past any quality-control folks...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 01-16-2022, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
... they played at the University of California at Irvine on that first tour, when they were largely unknown, opening for Lee Michaels (!)... cost $4, and they definitely killed the show! They were so good that, even at 17 years old, I felt sorry that Lee had to follow them onstage!

At that time, they had none of the accoutrements of stardom; minimal lighting, no stage show, just that band, playing their butts off! Jimmy did have the violin bow for "Dazed and Confused", but really, no sort of special effects gizmos...

Saw the band again at the Forum in LA, 3 or 4 years later... they came out and played a marginal 40' set to an absolutely PACKED house... and then walked away. Of course, that time they had all the lights and bells and whistles going for them... but I was sorely disappointed with the trappings of The Rock Star that prevailed that night...
This is true of so many bands and artists who lose the "hunger" after achieving great success. I can think of at least four shows I saw after experiencing the same band/artist on their way up. However, there are a few that continue to bring it through the years. The Doobie Brothers, Bruce Springsteen, and Frank Turner come to mind.

All-time favorite Zep tune, no question: "What Is and Should Never Be"

Fav LP, oddly a tie between II and Physical Graffitti
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 01-16-2022, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
You may very well be right. The hole hadn’t actually registered until you pointed it out. I did have a friend back in those days who was a DJ - it’s quite possible that it came from his collection.
Good point that. Though I've owned 1000s of used 45s that came out of jukeboxes, I don't know if radio station copies were marked in any way. It would be fun to have one signed "Booger" by Howard Hessemann.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:49 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The Rain Song
Stairway to Heaven
Battle of Evermore

I remember the first time I got my Telecaster home in 2014 and plugged it up to my rig that was basically set up for a Les Paul, I played some lead for fun. Suddenly, the lead from Stairway, that was played on a Tele, came to mind. I'd learned it long ago on an LP but it never sounded right. I tried it on the Tele and BOOM! there is was.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-16-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The Rain Song
Stairway to Heaven
Battle of Evermore

Bob
I definitely agree with your choices. The Battle Evermore is a real gem. The pace of the song, Paige's playing, the mythical feel, and the glorious vocal interplay between Plant and Sandy Denny combine to make something very special.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Ten Years Gone is possibly my favorite... it's the one that I'm most likely to get obsessed with and listen to over and over again.

Other favs:
No Quarter
When the Levee Breaks
Over the Hills and Far Away

who can choose...

I do play Rain Song pretty much every time I pick up a guitar.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic