The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-06-2022, 01:25 PM

Well I rule out any new instrument made in China, for obvious reasons, but fortunately there are lots of decent Chinese-made used mandos out there (and many others too) to be had, and previously owned is of course a great way to get started with any instrument. I'm now an "advanced beginner," I guess, but at least got to the stage-worthy point in my band (almost all just "rhythm" mando). I started out with a new Godin A8 some years ago, then added a used Eastman that didn't suit me too well. Let that go and got a nice used Collings A-style that I really like, and added the K&K pickup. What cool instruments mandolins are, and they complement an acoustic guitar so well! Enjoy yours!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 01-06-2022, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Don't rule out Northfield. Their F 5S is the only mandolin at it's price point and a great playing mandolin made mostly in China. The Northfield Big Mon is still way cheaper than the plain Gibson and Collings fare.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments