The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 11:23 AM

Default Water Beads for Humidification

I just bought some water beads for humidifying my two best guitars. But I am not sure how many to use per guitar or how many holes to put in the baggies that I put the beads in. If you have any experience with water beads I would appreciate some help on these two questions. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:04 PM

I've tried them, but they don't seem to lose their moisture very quickly. Ergo, I wonder if a sponge isn't more efficient. One thing to note is that wen they dry out. they become a tiny acrylic nuisance bead - Tough to pick up and non-biodegradable. Another reason for sponges.

best.

Rick

Last edited by srick; 11-12-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Here's how I do it;

One of those in each case. It works like a dream and I only re-charge the beads 2 or 3 times all winter.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I've used these things too.
I hydrated them in jam jars and filled the soap dishes when full.
Word of warning -s they give up water, they do get "sticky" and at one time the sticky goo ran out sticking the side of my guitar to the case lining - ugh!

I have not needed them as yet this year but I've invested in Guitar Nomad sound hole humidifiers instead.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

SM, I don't know where the sticky goo came from. You must have got the ''made in china'' brand. Mine are like little super balls that bounce around the house and as they dry out they just get smaller.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Here's how I do it;

One of those in each case. It works like a dream and I only re-charge the beads 2 or 3 times all winter.
That’s the setup I use. Works like a charm!
Old 11-12-2020, 04:30 PM

I'd rather use the soap dish/tupperware container full of holes (as pictured) than baggies. When the beads dry out, they get sharp spots that may well puncture the baggie, then they'd be all over.

i enclose mine very loosely in 2 small cotton bags connected by a short ribbon which I then drape over the strings so the moisture is emitted directly into the soundbox where it is most needed. So the wet cotton cannot touch anything in the guitar, I first enclose them in little fleece envelopes (fleece is hydrophobic and transmits but does not absorb water). Works great, super cheap, nothing to spill, holds more water than anything else i have used so it can go longer between refills. I still use distilled water, a gallon would last 8 guitars for years if my wife didn't steal it for ironing.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Here's how I do it;

That's the way I do it 'cept with sponges. To each their own I say.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:58 PM

In AZ it's extremely dry so I use a Nomad humidifier in the sound hole and a cup of water after the headstock. I use an Epiphone case and leave it flat on the ground as seen below. I lock the case when guitar isn't in use. No pets or people to disturb the case. I could use beads I suppose but this works good in these parts.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:07 PM

OP here. My beads are now as big as they will get, about 1/2" diameter. I think I will try to find a good soap box to put them in but I like the idea of hanging them in the soundhole by the strings. That does put the moisture where its needed most. Maybe I will raid the laundry for a pair of my wifes nylons and go from there. Thanks for all the good ideas so far.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I've used these things too.
I hydrated them in jam jars and filled the soap dishes when full.
Word of warning -s they give up water, they do get "sticky" and at one time the sticky goo ran out sticking the side of my guitar to the case lining - ugh!

I have not needed them as yet this year but I've invested in Guitar Nomad sound hole humidifiers instead.
I've been using the same beads for at least 10 years, never had any problems with stickiness or goo. When they are hydrated, they are actually slippery, when dry, they are about this big - O and are rather hard.

THey must have different formulations between brands.

Been very happy using them.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
SM, I don't know where the sticky goo came from. You must have got the ''made in china'' brand. Mine are like little super balls that bounce around the house and as they dry out they just get smaller.
Mine must be the cheap kind. I filled up a pill bottle and after 3 days there was like 2” of water at the bottom of the bottle and the rest were floating at the top. They didn’t work well for me at all. Send me a link to what you bought that stay inflated. After sitting even longer there might be one or two beads left. The rest is water. These beads I would never trust inside of a guitar. They’d drip everywhere.

They look like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B71EC610-D674-447A-89D1-5833E10A7BA6.jpg (28.1 KB, 205 views)
Old 11-13-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Here's how I do it;

This is what I do as well. When I switch out the beads I put the used (tiny) beads in a glass of water until they're back to full size.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-27-2022, 08:54 PM

bumping this one up as my d'addario are getting a bit tired. Want to dry this method in tandem with a hydrogemeter.
Any difference between these water beads? Any particular brand on amazon with decent durability (ie that wont explode and leak everywhere)?
thanks in advance or any recs !
Old 01-27-2022, 10:32 PM

Anything that absorbs water and then keeps it for a relatively long period of time isn't doing much for your guitar.

Would the "ideal" humidifier be something you fill once and it's good for the rest of winter?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
water beads