The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2020, 12:49 PM

My two passions are mountain biking and music. The group that I bike with deep in the woods and ALWAYS more than 10 feet apart have been in the woods every weekend since the weather broke in Mid-March. No issues and it is a total of four households with dads and sons riding. That said, the two bands I play bass with have no intentions of getting together anytime soon since the rooms we jam in are too small to feel safe even with masks. I guess my point here is that I hope most of you have another passion (that will work during a pandemic) that can satisfy you through these hard times? IDK
Old 05-12-2020, 02:06 PM

Default virus safe jam

Six feet is probably not enough distance, even with masks. I've seen videos showing the spray from a cough or sneeze and 6' just doesn't do it.

Is there no app/software that allows better jamming than zoom, without lag?

Italy had jams and concerts from apartment balconies. That could be safe. I've lived in a triple decker neighborhood in Boston (3 story buildings with one apartment per floor, typically with porches and close together). I think a jam between the porches of 6 or 8 adjacent buildings would have been safe. I now live in the country and it would take bagpipes or amplifiers to jam with my neighbors.

Here's the way the Italians were doing it. The people on the street aren't always safe distances apart, but I think those staying on their balconies are safe. [apologies, this video has ads at the beginning]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBByYjjvNzs

Silly Moustache has done several solo isolation house concerts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoWFlE0vuNo&t=436s
Old 05-12-2020, 09:47 PM

Does anyone have landlines anymore? They are fairly lag-free. You could use your landline for sound, zoom for video.

Sound travels almost at the speed of light on a wire - much faster than wave propagation in air (i.e., the speed of sound).

The cell phone's worst feature is the phone feature!
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Does anyone have landlines anymore? They are fairly lag-free. You could use your landline for sound, zoom for video.

Sound travels almost at the speed of light on a wire - much faster than wave propagation in air (i.e., the speed of sound).

The cell phone's worst feature is the phone feature!
I know you're trying to help, but have you ever listened to a guitar played through a landline? It's undecipherable most times.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-13-2020, 03:11 PM

I have ce seen good group sings on zoom and Facebook. Surprised that there was no noticeable lag between the signers. It was fine

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
covid-19, jams, singing, swallow hill, virus