The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I would do a jam via Zoom or Facebook Live.

I would not gather with people in a room, even 20 feet apart, where people are talking or singing (hence, sending microscopic aerosol into the enclosed space). Maybe you heard (or didn't) about the church group who gathered and sang. And many contracted COVID-19.
I described that incident in detail. And I was imagining a small jam outdoors, so...
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 05-11-2020, 09:58 PM

Default Believe me, I'm taking it seriously...

I don't expect to be out of this danger for many months or several years. We've learned that Zoom isn't quick enough to make a virtual jam possible, but what else can we do, and how can we do it smarter?

Plexiglas panels are used for sound isolation around drummers. How about mounting them between musicians, up beyond head level?

Circular mesh screens sometimes are used in front of microphones. Should we be singing through those even without a microphone?

Two musicians sitting parallel a dozen feet apart, facing a wall that reflects sound back to them- how safe would that be?
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 05-11-2020, 10:24 PM

toying with the idea of playing together with my 5 other bandmates outside in a suburban local (2 acre zoning) on memorial day(we have not gotten together for over 2 months) weekend where we can be at least 10 feet apart if not more (amplified, with no other people involved, homeowner sets up p a ) for ourselves and the surrounding neighbors . i'm leaning in that direction as are the others. 5 of us are 59-67 and drummer is 39. what do you think?
Old 05-11-2020, 10:29 PM

Sounds like everyone on this forum has a good understanding of what is described in this article:

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the...hem-avoid-them
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 05-11-2020, 11:22 PM

I, too, am familiar with the case of the Washington choir, and being a biologist, the scenario makes intuitive sense to me. Me, personally, I would be fine with a jam, but I would host it outdoors, with distance among the participants, and limit it to instrumental tunes. No singing. Everybody has to weigh their personal risk themselves, of course. There is no "one size fits all" formula. Some would say no jam is worth risking anyone's health or life. Others may say a life without music isn't worth living. Both have valid points.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 05-11-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Sounds like everyone on this forum has a good understanding of what is described in this article:

Thank you for sharing this. I've always held a deep suspicion against curling, and this article does not do much to dispel it.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 05-11-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
My question is, what are ya'll's ideas about best practices for safe playing, and especially singing, in a small group? My first thought is to take it all outdoors, but would that be sufficient? Thoughts?
Until a vaccine exists, I don't think there will be a viable solution that could be considered safe.

People will experiment, and some of those experiments will prove deadly, as some already have. There will always be people who act irresponsibly. In most cases, they only hurt themselves - but in this case, they end up killing others without even realizing it. It's a sobering thing to think about.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

If you watch the stock market, all the tech stocks are up. Whether it be for business, music, or medicine, technology is ramping up in a big way. 5G may roll out quicker now, and many say that will eliminate the lag using video. For now, there is Acapella, which I have not tried, but seems like a viable option.

Concerts, open mikes, sporting events are probably a year or so off in the distance. But that’s okay, at least for me. Our first commitment is to stay safe and keep our friends and loved ones out of harm’s way.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post

I trust the information provided in his article. If you also trust the info, it suggests that an jam outside with 6 feet distance between musicians should be pretty low risk. Add masks, and that lowers the risk further.

And, or course, you should only invite people that you know, and who you can trust to stay away if they are having any respiratory symptoms. People who are careless about social distancing and about hygiene could undermine the safety of everyone else. But with the right people in open air, it could be a reasonably safe alternative to virtual Open Mics and online “jams” that sound chaotic due to signal latencies.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
If you watch the stock market, all the tech stocks are up. Whether it be for business, music, or medicine, technology is ramping up in a big way. 5G may roll out quicker now, and many say that will eliminate the lag using video. For now, there is Acapella, which I have not tried, but seems like a viable option.

Concerts, open mikes, sporting events are probably a year or so off in the distance. But that’s okay, at least for me. Our first commitment is to stay safe and keep our friends and loved ones out of harm’s way.
But a guy I used to play in a band with, who is unemployed and mentally ill, keeps telling me the virus is caused by 5G. I'm not sure who to believe??
Old 05-12-2020, 07:36 AM

I wouldn't do it. Singing is a real problem. If you're "downwind" from an infected diner in a restaurant (a/c or other ventilation) it can spread over quite a distance. Singing outside in the wind? Are you upwind or downwind?

School choir directors are wondering what they are going to do in the fall if/when schools reopen. It's a nightmare.

At some point it could easily become a less than rewarding experience on any level, and I suspect we are waaaaaaay past that point.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-12-2020, 07:57 AM

I see Neil Young (fireside sessions) and Jorma Kaukonen (Fur Peace Ranch) are doing solo concert events from home for free online viewing. I saw Neil'sfireside session number 4 yesterday. He played some songs from "Silver and Gold" one of my favorite Neil acoustic albums. He appears to tape his harmonicas to a mounted horseshoe (Horshoe Man). For my part I am missing playing at the nursing homes with my folk group "The Campfire Singers". A 10 year project down the tubes. I am spending time recording instrumentals and catching up with household chores. I am missing our monthly folk jam, also. We find ways to keep playing... "Carry On"
Old 05-12-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

This is very sad news. I play with one jam group Upstate and three on Long Island, one of which I lead. I love playing with others no matter if they are way better or way less experienced than me. It seems like everything I know about playing and singing has come from the people I play with.

I'm back on LI for a couple of days and yesterday I went over to my library to look at a place outside, where they have a circle of benches. We could fit 8 players there with six foot spacing, but that article points out that you just don't know what's safe.

I'll be keeping my group shut down, probably until at least the fall. I love playing with all my buddies, but I just don't thing it's worth the risk.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:37 AM

A friend of mine posted on FB videos of his punk band practicing the night before. No one was wearing masks, and the room couldn't have been very large. They are an energetic band, and there had to be a lot of sweat flying in that room.

I couldn't help myself from posting "Why are you rehearsing in the middle of a pandemic?" and his response was ridiculous. He declared that the individuals in the band "don't interact with anyone" except their wives/girlfriends, he personally has his temperature taken daily at work, and their spouses didn't object to their rehearsing. The edgy tone of his response betrayed an attitude of "mind your own business," which is fine when peoples' lives aren't at stake.

I see it as selfish behavior.

This is someone I've known and loved as a friend for close to 40 years, and my respect for him has become greatly diminished.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build

Last edited by beatcomber; 05-12-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:29 AM

I'm clearly in a minority here, but I've resumed a regular music get-together with some modifications. We only play outside, and we stay 6+ feet apart. I got a green light for this from a physician and an epidemiologist. It's not political for me at all (i.e., I am not generally anti-lockdown, anti-mask, etc.).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
covid-19, jams, singing, swallow hill, virus